PDA

View Full Version : BobbaFaces - The Return

lRhyss
22-05-2014, 01:20 PM
http://bobbafaces.co.uk/_imgs/170.png

A few years ago now, a website used to exist where Habbo users could submit photos of themselves against their Habbo name. The website was really popular in the community, helping bring friends closer and even helping create new friendships within the Hotel. Today I am here to announce the return of this website, BobbaFaces (http://Bobbafaces.co.uk). The website is under new management (myself) and I plan on bringing the website back to life with all of the old features you were familiar with, and even some newer ones that in my eyes, are fun and unique.

Cool, When are you planning to open BobbaFaces?
The website is set to launch sometime during the summer - A date will become available to the public when we have a better understanding on the progress of the website and it's functionality

Sounds like a glorified PAPOY thread!
Yeah, it does in a way. But... Think of it like this, each fansite has its own PAPOY thread on the forum and some users visit Habbox and only Habbox... Meaning that they don't post in other websites such as HFFM's or ThisHabbo's. This way there will be one, universal places users can share their photos as they please and make new friends doing it.

You're going to kill the BobbaFace name!
I assure you that I will do everything In my power to ensure that I don't do this. I will bring back the website with THE SAME functionality you will remember but with a revamped look and better security. Over time I will push out new functionality that you won't have seen on the older website, but only to make sure that the website stays fresh to the newer members of the Habbo community.

Pretty sure this is against the Habbo way now, isn't it?
If I was just to use the same process the old website used, simply uploading a photo on the website user a Habbo name... Yes, it would be. However with a new moderation system I have thought out, the process of getting a photo on the website will now stand as the following:

Sign up > Verify Habbo (Similar to how Habbox Main site used to work) > Verify the user submitting the photo is indeed the actual person > Photo appearing on the website.

Thanks for reading. Apologies if you spot any grammar/spelling mistakes in the post and if you would like get involved with this project, feel free to contact me vis Skype or Private Message (http://www.habboxforum.com/private.php?do=newpm) on the Forum.

- Rhyss

Kyle
22-05-2014, 01:23 PM
old website required verification too as far as I remember

not a fan of the obsession to know what everybody looks like and feel that freely available pictures will definitely influence people's attitudes towards one another. a good experiment nonetheless, good luck.

lRhyss
22-05-2014, 01:26 PM
old website required verification too as far as I remember

not a fan of the obsession to know what everybody looks like and feel that freely available pictures will definitely influence people's attitudes towards one another. a good experiment nonetheless, good luck.

It did yes, however to my knowledge it really wasn't very strict; which is what is needed nowadays.

As for the obsession, I'm not too sure either, but it seems to be a growing thing on all forums, which is one of the reasons I decided to revive the website :P

Thanks though! +Rep

Kardan
22-05-2014, 01:47 PM
So, wait. You'll have an initial list of fansites like:

Habbox
ThisHabbo
ClubHabbo

etc.

Then you click on that, and you get a PAPOY thread?

Seems like a silly way of doing it. What if you don't use a fansite? What if you want to find someone and don't know what fansite they identify themselves as? Seems like a simple search function thing would work better.

Red
22-05-2014, 01:48 PM
gl with it but don't really think there is much need for it now as everyone uses snog anyway

lRhyss
22-05-2014, 02:02 PM
So, wait. You'll have an initial list of fansites like:

Habbox
ThisHabbo
ClubHabbo

etc.

Then you click on that, and you get a PAPOY thread?

Seems like a silly way of doing it. What if you don't use a fansite? What if you want to find someone and don't know what fansite they identify themselves as? Seems like a simple search function thing would work better.
Sorry, I should have probably explained this better;

The site will host any photos uploaded to it and will not link to any external fansites, what I meant by the fansite PAPOY thread point was that some users use Habbox and some don't, meaning that if people post pictures of themselves, they only post them on the forum they use, not others. This website used to be a universal picture bank of anyone that wanted to upload pictures.

for example, I use Habbox's PAPOY thread, but not ThisHabbos. I have friends that use ThisHabbo's PAPOY thread, but not Habbox's.

BobbaFaces will simply be a website where you can sign up under your Habbo name and Create an album of photos for your face for other people to view on BobbaFaces :)

I may add a little function upon sign up where users can select fansites that they tend to use and join in with though, so thanks for that idea!

As for the people not using fansites, I intend to hire a few staff that will help me host events and games on the Hotel to raise awareness of the website :)

gl with it but don't really think there is much need for it now as everyone uses snog anyway
It's just something I was internet in doing and I'm using it to bring something old back and also help imporve my web development skills :)

Lewis
22-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Sounds interesting, good luck with it. I wouldn't personally use it though!

Reality
22-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Sounds alright, I'll take a look once you've fully launched the website!!!

wixard
22-05-2014, 06:05 PM

i don't have a snog and i'd NEVER make one, but i'd use this

sounds like it has potential, good luck with it

lRhyss
22-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Sounds interesting, good luck with it. I wouldn't personally use it though!
Thanks Lewis!

Sounds alright, I'll take a look once you've fully launched the website!!!
Thanks!

i don't have a snog and i'd NEVER make one, but i'd use this

sounds like it has potential, good luck with it
The problem with snog is it leaves so much room for Cyber Bulling, so with BobbaFaces not including the rating system this time around, we're helping solve this issue :)

Thanks!

lRhyss
22-05-2014, 11:49 PM
A small update for you all!

Here is a little sneak peak at the layout itself!

http://uploadir.com/u/yxgpc9u4

It's really not much at all as I don't want to give too much away (I like surprises) but I decided to show the basic colour scheme in case anyone wanted to C&C that :)

Zak
23-05-2014, 11:49 AM
I'm usually really critical of any new sites. I hate these stupid threads with the same ideas. 99% of them fail.

However! I like the concept, I can see it working if it's done correctly. Try not to rush it, take your time and make something special (you will reap the rewards after release).. and if it works who says you couldn't apply this concept for other games? The main reason people are reluctant to give out their Facebook page for example is because there is too much information on there. I think it would be best to keep it vague at first (you could always build on this later).

If you can dynamically grab a user's avatar and then build a good system that could handle the verification of a user I can really see this catching on.

Really impressed actually. lRhyss;

lRhyss
23-05-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm usually really critical of any new sites. I hate these stupid threads with the same ideas. 99% of them fail.

However! I like the concept, I can see it working if it's done correctly. Try not to rush it, take your time and make something special (you will reap the rewards after release).. and if it works who says you couldn't apply this concept for other games? The main reason people are reluctant to give out their Facebook page for example is because there is too much information on there. I think it would be best to keep it vague at first (you could always build on this later).

If you can dynamically grab a user's avatar and then build a good system that could handle the verification of a user I can really see this catching on.

Really impressed actually. @lRhyss (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=74041);

Thanks man! That's really nice to hear! Thanks so much :)

As with the Facebook thing I did have a concept for this however this is how I planned the verification for it:

Sing up to BobbaFaces > Enter Habbo name and Facebook URL > System would check that the Facebook user liked Habbo on Facebook

That's the only thing I could think of to make sure people don't find other peoples facebooks and just sign up under their name.

The only problem is, a vast majority of Habbo users (like me) Wouldn't dare to like Habbo on Facebook D:

wordofwisdom
23-05-2014, 12:52 PM
i'll have a look at this site once you launch it sounds like it shows great potential

GoldenMerc
23-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Thanks man! That's really nice to hear! Thanks so much :)

As with the Facebook thing I did have a concept for this however this is how I planned the verification for it:

Sing up to BobbaFaces > Enter Habbo name and Facebook URL > System would check that the Facebook user liked Habbo on Facebook

That's the only thing I could think of to make sure people don't find other peoples facebooks and just sign up under their name.

The only problem is, a vast majority of Habbo users (like me) Wouldn't dare to like Habbo on Facebook D:

I haven't liked Habbo on FB.

Do how Habbox.com has it, You have to enter a silly string of letters onto your Habbo motto?

wixard
23-05-2014, 12:53 PM
can you not just do it manually to start off with where people send in a pic with their habbo name written on a piece of paper?

GoldenMerc
23-05-2014, 12:54 PM
can you not just do it manually to start off with where people send in a pic with their habbo name written on a piece of paper?

Thats for the link between the image and the habbo
He's talking about the link between the user and the habbo

wixard
23-05-2014, 12:59 PM
ooooh, make a habbo 'bobbafaces' and get people to fr it?

lRhyss
23-05-2014, 01:16 PM
ooooh, make a habbo 'bobbafaces' and get people to fr it?
Yeah I was thinking this, it may have to be how it works :)

Thats for the link between the image and the habbo
He's talking about the link between the user and the habbo

Yeah, I was thinking about doing it automatically like Habbo did it, although I might do it the was Wixard suggested to start off with :)

Thanks for the support guys :)

Zak
23-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Yeah I like both the status set to a temporary verification code given out by you.

Let me talk you through how I see it working,

You register on BobbaFaces
Your Habbo avatar and status is automatically pulled through, along with profile info you entered on registration
You verify your Habbo account by entering a temporary verification code issued by BobbaFaces into your status
User goes onto Habbo and edits their status to the code
Button clicked on website to verify the status - if the status matches the verification code the account is verified

So that's the account verified

Then - and only then should you be allowed to upload a picture? (who agrees) to avoid false profiles.

Not sure how you would do this bit...... Manually if they send pictures with (I am 'X' on Hab) but that's an awful way of doing things

lRhyss
23-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Yeah I like both the status set to a temporary verification code given out by you.

Let me talk you through how I see it working,

You register on BobbaFaces
Your Habbo avatar and status is automatically pulled through, along with profile info you entered on registration
You verify your Habbo account by entering a temporary verification code issued by BobbaFaces into your status
User goes onto Habbo and edits their status to the code
Button clicked on website to verify the status - if the status matches the verification code the account is verified

So that's the account verified

Then - and only then should you be allowed to upload a picture? (who agrees) to avoid false profiles.

Not sure how you would do this bit...... Manually if they send pictures with (I am 'X' on Hab) but that's an awful way of doing things

Yeah that's a nice process, I'll probably end up doing this way, the only thing is I'm not sure how I would make it check that the user has the string in the motto... Habbox used to use that method but something went wrong which stopped it form happening, but I'm unsure what

akeel$
23-05-2014, 04:09 PM
This seems interesting can't wait to see the end result.
Good work.

Zak
23-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Well if you're able to obtain the status in the first place a comparison could easily be made between the two.

Trying to think of a better way to verify the picture(s).

Swinkid
24-05-2014, 08:29 PM
If you wanted a way of verifying, couldn't you get them to place something in their motto and grab it .

FlyingJesus
25-05-2014, 12:14 PM
I thought the whole point of BobbaFaces was to upload pictures of losers and laugh at them

lRhyss
25-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I thought the whole point of BobbaFaces was to upload pictures of losers and laugh at them

Yeah, it was :P

But nowadays I'd get wrong if I'd let that happen haha!

Brawl
27-05-2014, 04:45 AM
I do remember BobbaFaces. Neat initiative. Best of luck!

lRhyss
27-05-2014, 05:45 PM
UPDATES

Figured you guys deserve a few updates on my progress. As some of you know (or may not know), I recently moved house so that took up a large segment of my time. My first time moving to a new place by myself so, yeah :P

Anyway, here is a few nice updates for you to enjoy:

Layout Design - 90%
Layout implementation (HTML/CSS) - 90%
JavaScript - 20%
PHP - 5%

Obviously the percentages are rough guesses as I have by no means sat and worked out the progress of each element and converted that into a percentage, I'm not that keen :P

On another note: I have decided that if anyone want's to come in and help with the PHP/MYSQL elements of the website, I am keen to take on a developer, obviously this won't be paid - it's all for fun. Originally I was only planning on opening the website to help improve my development skills, but after feedback form fellow players and a surprising amount of interest from people, it's much more than that now, and I don't want something so wanted to just be my play toy, I want it to be done properly and ensure that BobbaFaces is safe, secure and enjoyable to a higher standard than what I could provide alone.

If you're interested in this position, feel free to contact me with your Skype and I'll hit you up with a message or ten!

Thanks for your time :)

Michael
29-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I remember BobbaFaces! It had a long list of usernames down the left hand side & you'd click 'em for the users image to come up. Good luck in your venture!

akeel$
30-05-2014, 02:37 PM
Do you know when this might get finished Rhys?

And yeah Michael; it was pretty good. I can't wait to try this one because at the moment it seems to be making some good progress. It was fun using the site.

Kieran
03-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Yeah that's a nice process, I'll probably end up doing this way, the only thing is I'm not sure how I would make it check that the user has the string in the motto... Habbox used to use that method but something went wrong which stopped it form happening, but I'm unsure what

We actually got it working again. I re-coded it for V7 (Hahaha). It relies on the users home page being visible and grabs the motto from there. Really easy stuff actually. Just need to grab the contents of the profile page and look for what is inside the div called "profile-motto" and see if it matches what you asked them to set.

lRhyss
03-06-2014, 12:19 AM
We actually got it working again. I re-coded it for V7 (Hahaha). It relies on the users home page being visible and grabs the motto from there. Really easy stuff actually. Just need to grab the contents of the profile page and look for what is inside the div called "profile-motto" and see if it matches what you asked them to set.
Ahh! Thanks so much man :) I'll look into this in the morning, and get it added :) I've decided that I'm going to start off by having users sign up, have then prove they're the Habbo via motto verification... THEN once they're signed up, they can become "Verified" By sending a verification request... These will simply be a picture of the user holding a piece of paper with their Habbo name on it... However they have to have a current picture uploaded, which is different to the one they submit :)

Similar to how Snog.com works I beleive :P

Lewis
03-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Ahh! Thanks so much man :) I'll look into this in the morning, and get it added :) I've decided that I'm going to start off by having users sign up, have then prove they're the Habbo via motto verification... THEN once they're signed up, they can become "Verified" By sending a verification request... These will simply be a picture of the user holding a piece of paper with their Habbo name on it... However they have to have a current picture uploaded, which is different to the one they submit :)

Similar to how Snog.com works I beleive :P

how does a picture with their apparent habbo name prove it's them :O?

lRhyss
03-06-2014, 09:50 PM
how does a picture with their apparent habbo name prove it's them :O?

I'll put it down by steps as if you were signing up

Go to bobbafaces
put a random string of numbers in your Habbo motto that Bobbafaces gives you and make your homepage visible
Bobbafaces will then verify that it is you singing up with your correct Habbo name
You are no registered and free to upload a photo, however, you're unverified
To get verified you will then need to do the following:

Upload a profile picture of your face
Take another photo clearly showing your face, but also showing you holding a piece of paper with your Habbo name on

Users can stay un-verified but that's up to them.

Ultimately the Habbo motto verification stops... Let's say me singing up with the name MK,

Then the manual photo verification to become a verified user shows that you're 100% you and that's 100% your face

Kieran
03-06-2014, 10:48 PM
That sounds like the best way to do it :)

lRhyss
04-06-2014, 12:26 PM
That sounds like the best way to do it :)
The manual verification seems to work well for Snog, so why not BobbaFaces? Haha.

Plus it's more secure to do it manually, rather than have it search for you on Facebook and try and match Bitmaps on images (I think that's how it would be done automatically)

-Nick
04-06-2014, 07:13 PM
The manual verification seems to work well for Snog, so why not BobbaFaces? Haha.

Plus it's more secure to do it manually, rather than have it search for you on Facebook and try and match Bitmaps on images (I think that's how it would be done automatically)

I know you can do most of these on Habbo however ever thought about doing these if the site becomes big?

- IM Messanger
--Age Filter, get verified for being over 18 - if you are you can swear on messenger if not it .. gets **
- Profile Wall
--Add Social Networking links, facts and VMs? (Optional if the user dosent want too!)

But not a forum.

lRhyss
04-06-2014, 07:25 PM
I know you can do most of these on Habbo however ever thought about doing these if the site becomes big?

- IM Messanger
--Age Filter, get verified for being over 18 - if you are you can swear on messenger if not it .. gets **
- Profile Wall
--Add Social Networking links, facts and VMs? (Optional if the user dosent want too!)

But not a forum.

I was thinking on adding the Social Networking links (only Twitter, Instagrm and Snog) and I have already planned out the profile page, showing the following:

Habbo Name (Mandatory)
First name
last name
picture (Mandatory)
Small "about me"
Social Network Links

I was also THINKING of adding a system where users can "Star" other users profiles, then have a list of the top 5 profiles or something.

Not sure though yet :P

-Nick
04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
I was thinking on adding the Social Networking links (only Twitter, Instagrm and Snog) and I have already planned out the profile page, showing the following:

Habbo Name (Mandatory)
First name
last name
picture (Mandatory)
Small "about me"
Social Network Links

I was also THINKING of adding a system where users can "Star" other users profiles, then have a list of the top 5 profiles or something.

Not sure though yet :P

This might sound odd but 'Rate the Habbo Looks' - Button of recommendation and then all the recommeded ones get put in together and you vote?

Zak
11-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Ultimately that's what it's all about - rating other people. I would be put off if it was like Snog though .. but that's obviously because of my age. The younger generation might want that.... but that younger generation will get older! haha

lRhyss
12-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Ultimately that's what it's all about - rating other people. I would be put off if it was like Snog though .. but that's obviously because of my age. The younger generation might want that.... but that younger generation will get older! haha
The way I've done it is:

I've added a column on the left that includes the top 5 highest rated users, that's all.

You can thumbs up, and thumbs down a user, however the only way you will know this rating is via your own CP or if you appear in the top 5.

Trying to make a rating system and prevent more bullying options ultimately lead to this :)

Zak
12-06-2014, 11:11 AM
The way I've done it is:

I've added a column on the left that includes the top 5 highest rated users, that's all.

You can thumbs up, and thumbs down a user, however the only way you will know this rating is via your own CP or if you appear in the top 5.

Trying to make a rating system and prevent more bullying options ultimately lead to this :)

Yeah I can see bullying being a bit of a problem, esp considering the over all demographic of Habbo users.

You will be top of the list then yeah? ;) haha

wixard
12-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm not mad on a rating featur to be honest

lRhyss
12-06-2014, 04:06 PM
Yeah I can see bullying being a bit of a problem, esp considering the over all demographic of Habbo users.

You will be top of the list then yeah? ;) haha
Oh, I'm hard coded in there, I'm not moving from #1 for a while ;)

I'm not mad on a rating featur to be honest
I wasn't too keen on the idea to begin with, but with some sort of rating feature, it will attract a few more users, and also help keep he site active when people aren't signing up :P

Sharon
15-06-2014, 11:16 AM
don't think i would use it if there was a rating thing tbh just takes the fun out of it imo

lRhyss
15-06-2014, 03:49 PM
don't think i would use it if there was a rating thing tbh just takes the fun out of it imo
What I made it so you could opt out of the rating system?

Aiden
15-06-2014, 03:54 PM
it's not very fun if you can't rate people
most people will judge the photos anyway even if the feature doesn't offer that feature

Zak
16-06-2014, 11:01 AM
most people will judge the photos anyway even if the feature doesn't offer that feature

Yeah I agree with this.

Maybe you should do a poll to address some of the core features and see what the community think? After all you're not going to please everybody.
lRhyss;

lemons
17-02-2015, 10:14 PM
now that snog is closing maybe you should launch this

MKR&*42
17-02-2015, 10:18 PM
What Jordan said^^ !!!

Joe
18-02-2015, 02:59 PM
ditto! there's a gap in the market, i guess

ItsMeerken
21-02-2015, 08:57 AM
i like the idea, ill check it out when you open up :)

Matt
26-02-2015, 06:12 AM
I could definitely see you using the Snog closure to your advantage. Best of luck with this Rhys, I look forward to seeing it up and running!

lRhyss
27-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Oh hai old thread

The site is somewhat half way i think, I haven't looked at it for ages, but I'm swamped with uni work at the moment, le cry. I'll see if i can get my irl nerd friends to finish it with me soon xo

lRhyss
19-03-2015, 09:00 PM
BobbaFaces (http://bobbafaces.co.uk/)

Okay, I've decided to get the project back on the rails (I think that's the saying... Oh no wait, it's back on track) and I've come to post a few little updates and other things.

I'm planning to open the site in it's early "beta" stages in early summer (May time). That's a long time to wait for a simple site to open a beta, I know, but I'm just one guy with 6 uni assignments to complete and 2 holidays to attend, meaning the project will be continued in my spare time as and when I get around to it. The website will be opening though, I won't let it flop again :P

for the "beta" or "V1" release, I'm going to include all the basic functionality; Sing up, upload a photo, browse others, verify your face. Updates will hit the site throughout summer, following my previous plans and new ones, to ensure the site is as safe and as fun as it can be for users. These include:

Site Moderation team - A team of 3-4 people (probably less to begin with) will be chosen to moderate the website, pick out fake users + bullys, to help eradicate the chances of Habbo getting on my case and trying to shut me down.
Photo Commenting - Once a moderation system has been worked out + implemented, comments on photos will be allowed. Whether they're placed in a moderation queue before being public, or moderators get a notification when a new comment is posted has yet to be decided.
Photo Rating System - Yes, I will be adding this function. However, only the owner of the photo can view their "rating", in order to avoid bullying and blah blah. Top users will be implemented, however.
Auto Verification - Able to verify your Photo and account by placing a string of characters in your Habbo motto. Nothing else to be said about this really.

FINALLY.
I'm looking for an apprentice... Well, more like a partner, to help me out with development. This is simply because of the sheer amount of Uni work I have to do. Obviously I won't be paying you, but you will get a share of the ad revenue (if any) as well as full credit for the work you will be doing. If you'd like to enquire about this just PM me! Obviously I'm not expecting a queue of people, but some help while I'm showed under would be nice.

I am very tired, please ignore my grammar & spelling.

Dollar
19-03-2015, 10:13 PM
You are welcome lRhyss ...

lRhyss
19-03-2015, 10:15 PM
You are welcome @lRhyss (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=74041) ...
OH YES

And many thanks to Adam for designing a layout for the site! Sorry I forgot to mention this, but he did a great job!

scottish
19-03-2015, 10:35 PM
who's adam

Dollar
19-03-2015, 10:42 PM
who's adam me.. or England / Dollar on Habbo.

j0rd
19-03-2015, 11:53 PM
do you have a pug

Edited by Richie (Forum Moderator): Please do not post off-topic, thanks.

,Sourworms?
03-05-2015, 05:47 AM
im so excited

Nick
03-05-2015, 05:54 AM
is this still happening?

Earthquake
03-05-2015, 11:59 AM
do something better then what it was before, using the same idea just won't work how it use to back then.

lRhyss
06-05-2015, 09:04 AM
is this still happening?
Yes :P Just waiting until all my uni work is finished

Rachel
14-05-2015, 11:57 PM
What role you offer there :P and cant wait

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!