PDA

View Full Version : Internet Help

lRhyss
17-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Okay so to cut a long story short;

An engineer came out to the house to try and fix the internet. After 2 line tests he told us that it wasn't a problem on the line, after this he changed the profile and managed to fix the problem temporally, then saying that we couldn't be charged because it wasn't anything to do with the in house wires and we couldn't change the profile ourselves.

£83 came out of my bank today.

We rang back and then the guy said that the engineer logged that it was a problem with the ALL THE WIRELESS CARDS IN EVERY DEVICE IN THE HOUSE:

My laptop
My Pc
Mam's laptop
iPad
3 iPhones

so ultimately, it made it look like it was out fault that we couldn't connect, when it wasn't. He also told me that there was an unfixed problem on the line that the engineer picked up.

So... Where do I stand in terms of anything here? They won't give the £83 back at all, I've tried till my ears bled.

David
17-06-2014, 08:52 PM
threaten to leave they always seem to back down after that

lRhyss
17-06-2014, 08:55 PM
threaten to leave they always seem to back down after that
We did, the guy just said "You can't until September" every time and then after I said "Well we'll cancel the direct debits" he said we'd get a backlog of payments to pay or something would happen (Can't remember what)

scottish
17-06-2014, 08:57 PM
You're probably contracted to 12 months or whatever then.

lRhyss
17-06-2014, 08:58 PM
You're probably contracted to 12 months or whatever then.
Yeah I know but, can't anyone see this is clearly them lying through their stupid teeth?

Chippiewill
17-06-2014, 10:37 PM
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/

RealClifford
18-06-2014, 03:11 AM
Can't help too much as I'm in Aussie... but we had a Telecommunications Ombudsman of whom we can contact in cases like this. If we threaten to get them involved normally companies back down pretty quick.

Unsure if you have similar over there?

Drunq
18-06-2014, 03:34 AM
ditch talktalk, as they always make up stories like just what you said bcos i doubt all ur devices have a problem. seems they want the money rather than service

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

Jack!
18-06-2014, 09:33 AM
Contact ofcom.

- - - Updated - - -

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/

-Nick
18-06-2014, 11:52 AM
IF they are being correct saying it is your devices, it may be the way your house is designed? What exactly is the problem? Is it the internet speed or range? Are you with Talktalk?

Recursion
18-06-2014, 04:26 PM
lRhyss; who are you with? If BT drop me a PM, I'll get you sorted out.

If the profile changed and this solved it then it's a problem in the local exchange on the DSLAM, this is something they can fix permanently but ultimately after some trial & error.

The profile is something that specifies certain characteristics on your line, if it can't get a "good enough" quality then it bumps you down and down until it does find one (normally it kicks in during thunderstorms etc) but at a reduced speed.

You have to remember these engineers aren't IT people, they're specifically trained telecoms engineers.

lRhyss
18-06-2014, 04:51 PM
@lRhyss (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=74041); who are you with? If BT drop me a PM, I'll get you sorted out.

If the profile changed and this solved it then it's a problem in the local exchange on the DSLAM, this is something they can fix permanently but ultimately after some trial & error.

The profile is something that specifies certain characteristics on your line, if it can't get a "good enough" quality then it bumps you down and down until it does find one (normally it kicks in during thunderstorms etc) but at a reduced speed.

You have to remember these engineers aren't IT people, they're specifically trained telecoms engineers.
TalkTalk but it's a BT line, if that helps!

Yeah, but we really stiff shouldn't have been charged if that's what it took to fix it should we? Because that's not our fault

myles
18-06-2014, 05:26 PM
sorry to hear about this rhys do u want some creds 2 make u feel better?

Hannah
18-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Refuse to pay anything to them because of their attitude and false information and if they have an issue with that then to take you to court. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!