PDA

View Full Version : Ed Miliband now even more unpopular than Nick Clegg

-:Undertaker:-
19-06-2014, 12:53 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2661151/Gaffe-prone-Ed-Miliband-scores-lowest-poll-rating-worse-Nick-Clegg.html

Half of voters tell Labour to ditch Miliband as his poll ratings plummet to a record low... even worse than Nick Clegg

- Just 22% of voters think Ed Miliband is doing a good job as Labour leader
- His net rating plummets to -39 points, lower than Nick Clegg's -37 points
- David Cameron is highest rated leader on -5 points, ICM poll reveals

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/18/1403080897648_wps_7_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg

Half of voters think Labour should ditch Ed Miliband before the general election, according to the latest poll which will make grim reading for the under-pressure leader.

In a damning assessment of his hopes of winning the election, even 43 per cent of Labour supporters think Mr Miliband should go.

It comes after a separate survey revealed his personal ratings have plummeted to a record low, worse even than Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/18/1403080902264_wps_8_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg

Labour remains ahead in the opinion polls, but the dire public perception of the leader will alarm party strategists who fear voters do not see Mr Miliband as a potential Prime Minister.

An IpsosMORI survey found 49 per cent of all voters think Mr Miliband should be ousted, including 43 per cent of Labour backers, the Standard reported.

The figures are worse than both the Lib Dem and Tory leaders. Only 44 per cent think Mr Clegg should be given the boot, while just 27 per think the Conservatives should ditch David Cameron.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/06/18/1403080905745_wps_9_Picture_Device_Independen.jpg

Just 22 per cent of those surveyed think Mr Miliband is 'ready to be Prime Minister', down from 24 per cent last year.

The Labour leader is under intense pressure from his MPs and party members with less than a year until the general election.

After a run of PR gaffes, Mr Miliband’s net satisfaction rating has dropped to -39, even worse than Mr Clegg’s -37 points.

Last week he was forced to apologise for posing with a copy of The Sun, after MPs and councillors from Liverpool complained about the newspaper’s history of reporting on the Hillsborough disaster.

It followed car crash TV and radio interviews in which Mr Miliband stumbled on grocery bills and local Labour councillors, and a notorious picture of him struggling to eat a bacon sandwich.

So the public understand the man is a class-A grade idiot, I could've told you that given he was the utter moron who passed the Climate Change Act (costing £18bn a year) which is akin to flushing pound notes down the toilet every single year.

But you know what I don't understand? We have intelligent Labour voters on this forum who'll vote for this non-entity as Prime Minister (the man who oversees the economy, healthcare, education, our armed forces, foreign policy etc) yet he and a lot of his MPs haven't done a days work in the real world EVER. Miliband and Clegg literally left university and went straight into politics - what on earth qualifies them to run the country? The same applies to David Cameron in all honesty, yet AT LEAST Cameron worked for a PR agency for a short couple of years which is more than can be said for the other two.

So what exactly is it that motivates people to vote for these parties? I don't quite get it. Most of the front benches are full of people without any life experience who've read political books since they had their nappies changed who know NOTHING other than theories their rich Marxist daddy taught them (Miliband) or who simply consider themselves a member of the ruling elite (Cameron).

Why do we have piss poor politicians who couldn't run a lemonade stand? Because YOU keep voting for them, that's why.

Thoughts?

Chippiewill
19-06-2014, 01:53 AM
Dan could you stop posting Daily Mail garbage on this forum and post the original source in future, thanks:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/17/ed-miliband-nick-clegg-fall-lowest-popularity-guardian-icm

Anyway, the results are certainly startling however I fear that the conclusions you're drawing do not necessarily follow. The wording of the question asked will actually lead to a bit of bias in the results "From what you have seen or heard, do you think ... is doing a good job or a bad job?" is actually asking people to report what the media is saying about the person rather than their personal view so I suspect the results may be slightly exaggerated, although Miliband is certainly not looking good after his poor recent performance in local and european elections. This picture is re-enforced by the rise in the number of people intending to vote labour compared to the previous month

Once again we can also see that the daily mail has heavily distorted the facts by portraying the survey as a satisfaction poll which is clearly not what was asked.

One of the more interesting items from the poll is that people actually think that George Osborne is doing a good job (44% to 38%) and is in fact the only politician questioned about who was considered to be doing a good job.

I'd also be wary of looking too far into Farage's result, although it is still very strong the poll is weighted on the 2010 election result and his party has gained a large number of defectors with high support for him within his own party compared to outside, giving him a large advantage in this type of polling. Still a very good result regardless.

19-06-2014, 01:59 AM
Dan could you stop posting Daily Mail garbage on this forum and post the original source in future, thanks:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/17/ed-miliband-nick-clegg-fall-lowest-popularity-guardian-icm

Anyway, the results are certainly startling however I fear that the conclusions you're drawing do not necessarily follow. The wording of the question asked will actually lead to a bit of bias in the results "From what you have seen or heard, do you think ... is doing a good job or a bad job?" is actually asking people to report what the media is saying about the person rather than their personal view so I suspect the results may be slightly exaggerated, although Miliband is certainly not looking good after his poor recent performance in local and european elections. This picture is re-enforced by the rise in the number of people intending to vote labour compared to the previous month

Once again we can also see that the daily mail has heavily distorted the facts by portraying the survey as a satisfaction poll which is clearly not what was asked.

One of the more interesting items from the poll is that people actually think that George Osborne is doing a good job (44% to 38%) and is in fact the only politician questioned about who was considered to be doing a good job.

I'd also be wary of looking too far into Farage's result, although it is still very strong the poll is weighted on the 2010 election result and his party has gained a large number of defectors with high support for him within his own party compared to outside, giving him a large advantage in this type of polling. Still a very good result regardless.

I'm not claiming this is the best method of measuring leader support, there are a number of ways that are used to test whether a leader is doing a good job and whether or not they are liked on a personal level. This poll, which is carried out by a pollster and not the Daily Mail, is one which measures whether the public think the leaders are doing a good job - which is often an indicator as to what momentum a leader and a party may have going into an election. Another pollster also surveyed leader favourability, which you can view via Mike Smithson: https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB which showed Miliband and Clegg being the lesser of the four in terms of personal ratings.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BqbBIyMIAAEKJUC.png

And i'm not claiming this poll is good for any party over another, on the whole they're all dire results and a damning conclusion on all our political parties. As Mike Smithson has pointed out before anyway, leader ratings don't affect the outcome of an election anyway - look on his Twitter feed and you'll find a recent post showing how far ahead James Callaghan was wayyy ahead of Margaret Thatcher in 1979 yet it was still a landslide for the Tories.

My point is that our politicians in general are piss poor, and i'm confused as to why large numbers of people keep voting for them.

Chippiewill
19-06-2014, 02:02 AM
My point is that our politicians in general are piss poor, and i'm confused as to why large numbers of people keep voting for them.

If you need to build a ship do you do it yourself or do you hire a master shipbuilder?

19-06-2014, 02:03 AM
If you need to build a ship do you do it yourself or do you hire a master shipbuilder?

Would you hire a shipbuilder without any experience of anything?

Kardan
19-06-2014, 10:35 AM
Would you hire a shipbuilder without any experience of anything?

How does someone have no experience of anything?

19-06-2014, 11:20 PM
How does someone have no experience of anything?

What has Miliband ever done outside of politics that qualifies him to run the country?

Go on, as you're a Labour voter i'll be interested to hear this.

FlyingJesus
20-06-2014, 12:45 AM
A shipbuilder needs experience with shipbuilding but a politician having experience with politics is irrelevant and counts for nothing. Righto. I have nothing positive to say about Miliband but really you're just being ridiculous

20-06-2014, 12:55 AM
A shipbuilder needs experience with shipbuilding but a politician having experience with politics is irrelevant and counts for nothing. Righto. I have nothing positive to say about Miliband but really you're just being ridiculous

And a politician having no experience in anything outside of politics yet running the country isn't ridiculous?

Politics isn't a profession or even a career like ship building, journalism or plumbing. Or at least, it shouldn't be.

FlyingJesus
20-06-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure if you're aware but a career in politics is not the same as an A level in it where you just learn the terms and what they've been applied to - actually doing the jobs is experience in how a country's run, and there are these chaps called ministers who take charge of certain areas of expertise to help out. What exactly are you looking for in terms of experience in someone who wants to run the country? An ex-business middleman?

20-06-2014, 01:07 AM
I'm not sure if you're aware but a career in politics is not the same as an A level in it where you just learn the terms and what they've been applied to - actually doing the jobs is experience in how a country's run, and there are these chaps called ministers who take charge of certain areas of expertise to help out. What exactly are you looking for in terms of experience in someone who wants to run the country? An ex-business middleman?

Oh yes, that would be much preferable compared to politics graduates who simply come out of university (after having studied politics) and who go straight into the research departments after which a decade or so they're parachuted into a safe seat and climb the greasy ministerial pole. What do they know other than theories and teenage idealism? Not much, and it's the same with academics: a lot of them are good at theories, but what use is a theory without having applied it in the real world? NILCH.

Professor Sowell has an interesting talk (bit long) on consequential knowledge and the centralisation of knowledge which you may find interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERj3QeGw9Ok

Give me politicians with some life experience anyday, absolutely.

FlyingJesus
20-06-2014, 01:21 AM
Someone with no knowledge of politics is better than someone with an extensive knowledge of politics? Righto. As for what such people know, pretty sure I said in that very post you just quoted that they're doing the jobs that teach you exactly how the country's run - it's not just theories and rhetoric, and for someone who keeps banging on about how much you hate emotive responses to issues you sure are promoting it a lot here by stating that "life experience" (a phrase with no meaning at all) is preferable to direct experience

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!