PDA

View Full Version : [Mojang EULA] New Server Donation Restrictions

Jazz
20-06-2014, 06:36 PM
As you probably know (if you play MC), you can buy almost anything on servers from hats to mod/op for real life cash. Mojang recently released that they're going to be making changes to their EULA (End-user license agreement). In these new regulations they have changed a few rules & added a couple:

You are allowed to charge players to access your server
So long as the fee is the same for all players, you are allowed to charge for access to your server. You are not allowed to split your playerbase into paying, and non-paying users, nor can you restrict gameplay elements to different tiers of player.

Basically, if you’re charging for access to your server, you are selling a “ticket” and there can only be one type of ticket, regardless of how much people are willing to spend.

You are allowed to accept donations
You are allowed to accept donations from players. You can thank them publicly or in-game, but can’t give preferential treatment for donating. You are not allowed to restrict gameplay features in an attempt to make money.

You are allowed to provide in-game advertising or sponsorship opportunities
You are allowed to put adverts in your Minecraft worlds to help with costs. Used within reason, adverts and sponsorship can be appropriate ways to fund a server.

You are allowed to sell in-game items so long as they don’t affect gameplay
We don’t mind you selling items in game, but they must be purely cosmetic. Pets, hats, and particle effects are OK, but swords, invincibility potions, and man-eating pigs are not. We want all players to be presented with the same gameplay features, whether they decide to pay or not.

There is one exception to this rule – capes! We have a lot of fun making cool capes for extra-special members of our community and Minecon attendees. We’d like to keep them as exclusive as possible. So, yeah, no capes please, even if you’re giving them away for free.

You cannot charge real-world cash for in-game currency
We don’t mind in-game currencies which are earned through playing, but you are not allowed to sell them for real-world cash. Remember – if the stuff you sell affects gameplay, we’re not cool with it.

So, this is good news for members but can and probably will take a massive hit on server owners and admins who rely purely off donations

New restrictions go into effect on August 1st

Video that explain this a little better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnSx_Zk8A7o

Thoughts?

scottish
20-06-2014, 06:43 PM
This will only effect the massive servers, for smaller servers or ones that don't have 150 players on at a time it will make no difference, as no Mojang staff are going to go about getting them taken down (or checking).

You're still allowed to charge for access, you're still allowed to sell pets/hats//etc. Only difference is they don't want you giving money/items to the players, or selling in-game currency.

I'm sure almost every community won't change it except massive communities.

Jazz
20-06-2014, 06:48 PM
This will only effect the massive servers, for smaller servers or ones that don't have 150 players on at a time it will make no difference, as no Mojang staff are going to go about getting them taken down (or checking).

You're still allowed to charge for access, you're still allowed to sell pets/hats//etc. Only difference is they don't want you giving money/items to the players, or selling in-game currency.

I'm sure almost every community won't change it except massive communities.

to name one, hypixel are going to have fun editing their donation kits. added extras, minigame access, full access isn't allowed now because it 'deprives the gameplay of others'

yeah, i agree with what you say. small servers probably wont get checked out unless mass amounts of reports come through (even then the rules probably won't be enforced)

--

I see where Mojang are coming from though, $1000 kit donations and servers making a nice lump sum from it & taking advantage of mojangs lack of enforcement

Chippiewill
20-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Pretty easy solution to the issue, just have free servers with less features and paid servers with more features.

CrazyLemurs
24-06-2014, 02:44 AM
This should be a more popular thread lol! I hope this does affect larger servers more than smaller ones, as larger ones have greater profits and profit margins. I'll enjoy seeing them have to be more inventive with their premium services and the disparity between american WASPs with too much money to spend and everyone else that values their money

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!