PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Routers?

Luke
26-06-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm looking for a decent router, the SkyHub is probably the worst router I've ever owned. Constant dropping on WiFi (never had this problem with the Sagem Sky router) and only 100mbps ports..

Would anyone be able to recommend me a decent router? If it makes any difference I'm on 80/20 FTTC (and I actually get that).

If possible I'd like to be able to plug a USB stick into it

Thanks
Luke

Rachel
26-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I have a router for a few years and never had any problems with it. It is called WL-520GU (125M High Speed) by Asus. You can also plug a USB as well.

Chippiewill
26-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Netgear Belkin Linksys. 802.11ac. Beyond that it does not matter one bit.

scottish
26-06-2014, 04:48 PM
I've got the ASUS RT N66U which is great, although it's like a year old now, they probably have more recent versions out.

Depends on your budget though.

Luke
26-06-2014, 04:50 PM
I have a router for a few years and never had any problems with it. It is called WL-520GU (125M High Speed) by Asus. You can also plug a USB as well.

I'll take a look, cheers

Netgear Belkin Linksys. 802.11ac. Beyond that it does not matter one bit.

You're right, but I've only ever used ISP routers, so apart from the obvious big brands I was looking for a bit of help choosing a specific model based on previous experiences..

I've got the ASUS RT N66U which is great, although it's like a year old now, they probably have more recent versions out.

That one looks good, you had any issues at all?

Chippiewill
26-06-2014, 04:52 PM
You're right, but I've only ever used ISP routers, so apart from the obvious big brands I was looking for a bit of help choosing a specific model based on previous experiences..

These days the specific model is mostly irrelevant, they only thing you might want to consider is whether or not it supports dd-wrt etc.

Luke
26-06-2014, 04:54 PM
These days the specific model is mostly irrelevant, they only thing you might want to consider is whether or not it supports dd-wrt etc.

Is custom firmware actually worth it with newer routers though? I used it once a while back to enable ADSL2..?

scottish
26-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Nope, only router i've ever had without any issues.

mrwoooooooo
26-06-2014, 05:58 PM
i use http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008QBAXI4 works fine for me

Luke
26-06-2014, 06:05 PM
i use http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008QBAXI4 works fine for me

I like the look of that one.. thanks

Recursion
26-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Don't touch Belkin or TP-Link with a barge pole.

Netgear and Linksys are probably your best bet in a home environment, otherwise get the ASUS RT-N66U.

Luke
26-06-2014, 08:27 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with TP-Link? I've have a power line adaptor, switch and a wifi dongle from them and all work fine..?

Recursion
27-06-2014, 09:29 PM
They're like the Acer of networking products.

Mikey
27-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Don't touch Belkin or TP-Link with a barge pole.

Netgear and Linksys are probably your best bet in a home environment, otherwise get the ASUS RT-N66U.

I've used both Netgear and Linksys in the past and they've both worked great! Got the Virgin Media Superhub now which is made by Netgear which has very little problems. :)

xxMATTGxx
28-06-2014, 09:10 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what's wrong with TP-Link? I've have a power line adaptor, switch and a wifi dongle from them and all work fine..?

They're like the Acer of networking products.

I have a TP-LINK router and it's been okay. Not had any major problems apart from that issue from a few months ago where it decided to no longer pick up the WAN IP from the Virgin Media Superhub. Never did really find out if that was the router or the SuperHub being a nightmare.

Firehorse
28-06-2014, 06:04 PM

I have this one too, highly recommended! They also have the AC66U out which is almost identical but supports wireless AC as well as wireless N.

Allows for 8 SSID's (two for main network one is 2.4Ghz the other 5Ghz, then 3 further of each for the guest networks which can all have separate security keys and levels of network access), and has pretty much every feature you'll ever need.

It can also host a VPN which is very useful and I use this a lot.

It also just so happens to be the most overkill router I've ever used. It has 256Mb RAM which is about 5 times what most home routers have. Never freezes, never drops connection, and the signal is plenty powerful (you even have the option of tweaking the Tx power).

Luke
29-06-2014, 01:34 PM
I have this one too, highly recommended! They also have the AC66U out which is almost identical but supports wireless AC as well as wireless N.

Allows for 8 SSID's (two for main network one is 2.4Ghz the other 5Ghz, then 3 further of each for the guest networks which can all have separate security keys and levels of network access), and has pretty much every feature you'll ever need.

It can also host a VPN which is very useful and I use this a lot.

It also just so happens to be the most overkill router I've ever used. It has 256Mb RAM which is about 5 times what most home routers have. Never freezes, never drops connection, and the signal is plenty powerful (you even have the option of tweaking the Tx power).

You've sold me on the N66U. Cheers very much!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!