PDA

View Full Version : Australia votes to repeal carbon tax

-:Undertaker:-
17-07-2014, 02:30 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-28339663

Australia votes to repeal carbon tax

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/76315000/jpg/_76315704_76315703.jpg
Australia has one of the highest per-capita greenhouse gas emission rates in the world

Australia's Senate has voted to repeal the carbon tax, a levy on the 300 biggest polluters passed by the Labor Party when they were in power in 2011.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott, whose Liberal-National coalition beat Labor in an election last year, had made the repeal a central aim of his government.

Politicians have been locked in a fierce row about the tax for years.

Labor says it helps to combat climate change, but the Liberals claim it penalises legitimate businesses.

The Australian Senate voted 39 to 32 to repeal the tax, which charges the highest polluters A$23 (£13;$22.60) for every tonne of greenhouse gases they produce.

Protests

Australia is the developed world's worst polluter per head of population.

But critics, including Mr Abbott, said that the tax cost jobs and forced energy prices up.

There were widespread protests against the introduction of the tax in Australia.

The repeal of the tax formed a major part of Mr Abbot's election manifesto.

The leader of Australia's Green party, Christine Milne, said the vote against the tax was an "appalling day for Australia".

A great victory here by Prime Minister Abbott, a boost for the Australian economy as well as just plain old common sense. It's not only nice to see a Government doing what it promised at election time, but actually carrying out common sense policies? It makes a heck of a nice change.

Australia, the Harper Government in Canada and America (the Anglosphere) are really leading the way in energy. It's time we followed.

Well done Mr Abbott.

Thoughts?

Matt
17-07-2014, 04:29 AM
He's done well to pass it tbh and I think this is probably the only good thing he's done since he was elected. I can't stand Abbott or Palmer either lol.

Daltron
17-07-2014, 11:06 PM
Very disappointing but this is what our country elected so hope everyone is content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blinger
18-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Very disappointing but this is what our country elected so hope everyone is content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe he has realised that taxing us for polluting isn't the best solution.

Daltron
18-07-2014, 01:50 AM
It threatened his big business friends, not us. I can't wait for a double dissolution (my constitutional law tutor predicts October-November however I hope earlier) and we see it be one of the first things to return under a new government.

Blinger
18-07-2014, 02:17 AM
bah spittin' horse ****. The Australian government in a nutshell:

Liberal - likes to hoard money, and forces tough budget cuts and so on.
Labor - splurge and give people money (think back to K.Rudd and his $900 for every taxpayer) and whatever.

mind you I don't care who is in charge, it's the same crap rehashed in a different person.

Suicune
18-07-2014, 02:47 AM
Good riddance. This tax should've never been implemented in the first place.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!