PDA

View Full Version : Observation regarding ethnicity and Habbo

cameron354
21-07-2014, 05:01 PM
Recently I've been thinking about this. Basically, what do you notice about Habbo avatars? About 95% of the avatars are white. The reason that I find this strange is, in society, there are more people with different ethnicities to this in most areas. So it seems that many people who are from different cultures choose not to represent their culture on habbo, and choose to have the same skin complexion as most other habbos. Why do you think this seems to be the case and have you noticed this?

Hannah
21-07-2014, 05:02 PM
That or those who are not white have more of a life than us white people and spend their time outside rather than on Habbo. :rolleyes:

Several observations you can make about the particular Habbos you see, despite not actually knowing what the people look like behind their screens.

lemons
21-07-2014, 05:07 PM
hardly any1 dresses how they look in real life

however if you go on other hotels (habbo france etc) u see more black avatars
also in the habbo football community a lot of them r black

Empired
21-07-2014, 05:18 PM
I know what quite a few of the people on my f/l look like and most of them are white and have a white character in-game. you see quite a few people with that light brown coloured skin, but i've always found not enough stuff goes with the really dark skins on habbo and i have a thing about my outfits having to look nice :(

i guess people can dress their habbo however they want though.

Kyle
21-07-2014, 07:17 PM
almost every black habbo i know is white irl and every black person tones down their skin colour significantly and muslim girls don't tend to hide their habbo faces even if their avatar is as close to their real life as possible. habbo is for being who u want to be, perhaps people just don't want to be in a minority group when they're on habbo. there are a lot of different dimensions to it other than simply not wanting to identify as an ethnic minory though. it's got a lot to do with habbo being a haven for certain personalities and traits that conflict with life and culture of ethnic minorities. habbo and social games like it foster creativity and forming relationships with other people - something that can be expressed and achieved more easily in other ways for some groups. You won't find many middle aged people with jobs on habbo either, because they get what they need from their jobs and their groups of friends/family members, same as you won't find many church-goers who get what they need by congregating and doing activities with groups of people offline.

DJ_Shadow
22-07-2014, 01:31 PM
almost every black habbo i know is white irl

Including me :) I am literally the exact opposite of how I look on here irl.

Zak
22-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm not yellow and wear a bunny hood around. Point proven about avatars :P

cameron354
26-07-2014, 05:00 PM
While it is true about people being creative on Habbo and not choosing to dress how they look in real life, it still seems that people on Habbo find it unattractive to be black, or anything but white as they don't choose to look this, and just copy other people.

Matt
27-07-2014, 03:18 AM
While it is true about people being creative on Habbo and not choosing to dress how they look in real life, it still seems that people on Habbo find it unattractive to be black, or anything but white as they don't choose to look this, and just copy other people.

Would that really be the reason? I wouldn't say walking around on habbo with a black skin colour is unattractive and I don't even see any difference from it being a white skin colour. I guess games like Habbo give people the chance to dress how ever they want and it's up to the individual on how they dress and act. The bright blue smurf colour isn't worn all that much, I guess people find smurfs unattractive then too.

To some extent you're right but I know people who are from Asian backgrounds on habbo and they purposely choose not to 'dress asian' because people can use it bully them. Habbo has and probably always will have bullying, racism and them idiots that mock other people for no reason. They judge them for what they wear which leaves people trying to fit in with the crowd by dressing in a certain way. Although this is not talking about everyone and there are exceptions of people who don't really care what others say... after all it is Habbo lol.

I've never really looked into it much and I just assumed that people dress that way because they can.

So unattractive ... I'd say that's not really the case but more so to fit in with the majority, which was already mentioned. Remembering I can only really refer to .com as i've not been on any of the other non-english speaking hotels.

Daltron
27-07-2014, 04:09 AM
I know it's racist but I generally associate a black habbo as either being really hood or a complete troll and usually the later. I can understand the unattractiveness point and not wanting to be perceived a certain way

Daltron
27-07-2014, 04:13 AM
Also it's good to note with the recent skin colour changes in terms of availability and what is on offer for norms in terms of tan and dark skins is completely unreasonable.

My black friend no longer wants to play because she can't have a skin tone even close to what she would prefer and doesn't want to pay. It's either light or African pretty much now since they moved a few of the more preferable darker tones to VIP only but maintained the white ones..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!