PDA

View Full Version : Hair dye fades too quickly

Clumping
28-07-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm trying to get it darker so I can do my blonde ombre that I've been wanting to do for months, however every time I'm dying it, the colour fades back to a light brown/ginger colour after only a few washes.

Is there a way of telling why it does it, e.g hair being too dry, or whether I need to just strip it completely??

Also I've also been to the hairdressers to have it dyed, thinking it's better than box dye and the same thing pretty much happened.

:(((

buttons
28-07-2014, 12:25 PM
things that can fade it easily : harsh shampoos containing sls, washing too frequently, hot water
so what u should do is only wash your hair every few days, find a gentle shampoo that says sulphate free, rinse with cold water. am sure there's lot of info out there.

wixard
28-07-2014, 01:02 PM
if you're using herbal essence it strips the dye right out of your hair I've found

try dying it a shade darker

Jssy
28-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Have you had any red based hair dyes in the past on it?

Sharon
28-07-2014, 01:31 PM
are you using either a gentle shampoo or colour protect shampoos? i dye my hair every 3 months or so and one time i kept using a colour protect shampoo throughout and it did make a noticable different in terms of fading n how long it lasted.

FlyingJesus
28-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Shampoo is rubbish just use it like once or twice a week and at other times wash with just conditioner to make it all fab, if you use L'Oreal Excellence it comes with a small thing of conditioner which is really good for it and is good for protecting the colour for the first few washes

Clumping
28-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Have you had any red based hair dyes in the past on it?
most of my past dyes have been red based to be honest

are you using either a gentle shampoo or colour protect shampoos? i dye my hair every 3 months or so and one time i kept using a colour protect shampoo throughout and it did make a noticable different in terms of fading n how long it lasted.
I used loreal elvive colour protect and it literally made no difference, which did you use?

Jssy
28-07-2014, 03:04 PM
most of my past dyes have been red based to be honest

I used loreal elvive colour protect and it literally made no difference, which did you use?

Browns do contain red bases, but if you've had red quite a bit in the past this could be because of colour build up in your hair cuticle. Red bases are the hardest to get out, followed by black which is why your colour in a salon is still coming through red, as well as home dyes. You can get shampoos that are especially good for colour build up and as a resort a colour stripper would be effective too

Clumping
28-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Browns do contain red bases, but if you've had red quite a bit in the past this could be because of colour build up in your hair cuticle. Red bases are the hardest to get out, followed by black which is why your colour in a salon is still coming through red, as well as home dyes. You can get shampoos that are especially good for colour build up and as a resort a colour stripper would be effective too

Thanks :p I think I'm gonna have to like strip it completely

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!