PDA

View Full Version : Small eruption near Bardarbunga

sex
23-08-2014, 11:36 PM
A small sub-glacial volcanic eruption has started near Bardarbunga volcano, under the icecap of Dyngjujökull glacier in the northern part of Vatnajökull glacier, according to the Icelandic Met Office. All air traffic is now prohibited in a large radius around the volcano.

The National Commissioner of the Icelandic Police has raised the alert phase to emergency phase accordingly. Furthermore, the Met Office has raised the aviation color code from orange to red resulting in the air space above the eruption site being closed.

The eruption is considered a minor event at this point. Because of a pressure from the glacier cap it is uncertain whether the eruption will stay sub-glacial or not.

The Coast Guards aircraft, TF-Sif, is currently monitoring the area and there are no visible signs of a plume at this moment. Nothing indicates floods because of the eruption.

At this stage measurements taken are based on a small event. The Jökulsárgljúfur canyon has been closed and evacuation of tourists in that area and around Dettifoss waterfall has started. The situation at this stage does not call for evacuation of habitants in Kelduhverfi, Öxarfjördur and Núpasveit. People in those areas are encouraged to watch news closely and have their mobiles switched on at all times.

This story, by the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service (RUV), was updated on 23 August 2014, at 15.13 GMT.

http://www.ruv.is/frett/small-eruption-near-bardarbunga

It's only small at the moment but I read this if the volcano its close to erupts

"However, on the other hand, Bárðarbunga is the "big sister" of the volcano Laki, whose 1783-84 eruption released poisonous gases that killed the majority of Iceland's livestock, a quarter of the population of Iceland, and six million people worldwide - as well as screwing with global weather patterns to the point that the Mississippi River froze at New Orleans and ice floes formed in the Gulf of Mexico. If Bárðarbunga does erupt, and in a manner similar to the 1783-84 eruption of Laki, things will not be good."

Has potential to be serious if it is a big one

Inseriousity.
23-08-2014, 11:39 PM
lmaooo kirst is like "oh i never packed for my holiday anyway, too busy PLAYING HXSS EVENTS" so this volcano news won't affect her

OldLoveSong
23-08-2014, 11:40 PM
haha aw kirst :p but bardarbunga is very fun to sayyyy

sex
23-08-2014, 11:41 PM
lmfao just hope it holds off for a few days for her
anyways its safe for planes to travel in small amounts of ash cloud now i read

Kyle
23-08-2014, 11:42 PM
hope it does erupt tbh it's about time we got a good natural disaster

lemons
23-08-2014, 11:43 PM
I'm excited for it to erupt really

Hopefully my mum gets stuck in Spain :)

Red
23-08-2014, 11:43 PM
IM GOING ON HOLIDAY ON WED THIS IS SO UPSETTTING
pls erupt when i am on holiday KTY

Matt
24-08-2014, 01:20 AM
Red; the anxiety you must have right now! Considering we were talking about it a few weeks ago with the Malaysian flights. This starts it all over again lmao.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

xxMATTGxx
24-08-2014, 08:33 AM
If it does erupt then the wind has to be going in the right direction to start affecting flights from the UK.

hairpins
24-08-2014, 03:20 PM
ffs r wii all gone die :/ thinks like this scar mi so mush

Red
26-08-2014, 11:55 AM
ToxicMint;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28936427

AHHHHH

ToxicMint
26-08-2014, 01:04 PM
OMFGGG JUST STAY SETTLED TILL SUNDAY THEN IT CAN ERUPT ALL IT WANTS LMFAOOO

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!