PDA

View Full Version : Cutting your own hair.

MKR&*42
06-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Hiii

Eventually I'd prefer to stop needing to go to a hairdressers all the time to cut my hair and get used to cutting it myself (nervous face here). I tend to get it cut exactly the same style every time so I'm fairly used to what look I would go for, but like I've never cut anyone's hair before and I'm absolutely terrified of stuffing it up majorlyyyy.

Can anyone give any advice as to like doing this - any guides tutorials etc. or should I really not be attempting to do it all? I'd just prefer it in the long run cause it'd save me a fortune sigh.

+rep for any good HELP.

wixard
06-09-2014, 10:07 AM
i can't, but youtube it

i wish i could do mine myself but it's just too important to me and i'd probably **** it up

buttons
06-09-2014, 10:11 AM
ive trimmed mine using a method but it's for long hair, i wouldn't dream of trying to cut short hair that has a style to it :P

Hannah
06-09-2014, 10:27 AM
If wet cutting, which is a lot easier, make sure you leave room as it will lift as your hair dries and if you cut it too short it may look silly.

I'd personally suggest getting it done by someone else though, as the back of your head may come out a little weird.
Perhaps YouTube could help, but it depends more on what you're comfortable with and as long as it's only little changes and not huge then if you require to get it fixed professionally it won't be too short.

Matt
06-09-2014, 10:44 AM
I've only ever cut off a few curls that won't go down when I'm getting ready in the morning.

Yeah youtube it or keep getting it cut by proper hairdressers. What happens if you really do screw it up, would you just not leave the house?

Charz777
06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
I'd only recommend trying to cut long hair, it's less noticeable if there is a small section of strands not quite even.

I'd still seriously consider not doing it at all, it's got to be a challenge to get the back done.

Also, if you make a mistake and want to level it, you'll have to take quite a bit off to get it straight.

Red
06-09-2014, 10:48 AM
surely it ain't that expensive for boy hair?????? I wouldn't dream of cutting mine lmao. I would say get some proper cutting scissors from like sallys.

MKR&*42
06-09-2014, 10:55 AM
It's not that expensive for me but i have mine cute every 3 weeks at a cost of 9.90 and every 6 weeks i get it dyed + cut, which equals a cost of about 250quid a year :P

And if i screwed it up id cry and then go to a hairdressers whilst wearin a hat LOL

Kyle
06-09-2014, 11:36 AM
U can't cut your own hair unless u shave it all off over a mirror. Better off finding a friend to do it or to keep going to hairdresser

~~from phone

Inseriousity.
06-09-2014, 11:45 AM
boy hair lmaooo kirst

i wouldnt recommend it tbh, you just dont have the best view doing it from a mirror.

Prosiary
06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
surely it ain't that expensive for boy hair?????? I wouldn't dream of cutting mine lmao. I would say get some proper cutting scissors from like sallys.

It's not that expensive, costs me around £8 to get mine cut

A4R0N
06-09-2014, 01:34 PM
shave it all off

Prosiary
06-09-2014, 02:33 PM
shave it all off

this would be the best option

Richie
06-09-2014, 04:13 PM
just go raw blade, can't make a mistake

experience+*+*

Jurv
06-09-2014, 04:49 PM
ive only ever trimmed my fringe before, don't think i'd cope with cutting anymore off

Stephen
06-09-2014, 07:56 PM
ive never been to a hairdressers in my life

shaving it is the way to go

just dont forget to add the attachment like i did and have a bald patch at the front. Had to give myself a 0 so i didnt look like a pillock

Empired
06-09-2014, 11:21 PM
You can cut your own fringe quite easily, i'm sure there are gonna be tutorials on youtube

And find a friend to cut the rest of your hair. I used to have a friend who enjoyed cutting my hair and would get upset if I went to a hairdressers lol. Try and find 1 x

lRhyss
07-09-2014, 07:47 AM
I cut my own hair sometimes, usually just my fringe if it sweeps to far over my eye before going down my face, nothing too extravagant, like giving myself a full haircut though, haha.

If you're worried about it though, don't do it, you might end up ******* up from the nerves.

If you want to save money, try dying your hair at home? It's honestly not hard :P

IzzyUhh
07-09-2014, 08:49 AM
Sometimes I just cut split ends off my hair which is like probably bad but I do it anyway then even out the length. Its cos im avoiding hairdressers cos want my hair EXTRA LONG ahh

Yh theres a lot of tutorials on youtube or you could ask a friends/hairdressers advice

Matt
07-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Sometimes I just cut split ends off my hair

I swear every single girl in school does this. I could look around and always see one girl just sitting there having the time of her life cutting off her split ends with someone elses scissors. What's with that?!!?

IzzyUhh
07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I swear every single girl in school does this. I could look around and always see one girl just sitting there having the time of her life cutting off her split ends with someone elses scissors. What's with that?!!?
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW LIKE GOOD IT FEELS idk if that's just me

Like after I bleached the ends of my hair they went DEAD and I have so many split ends so I cut them off and I get loads more when I curl my hair :@ I couldnt do it in school tho, scissors there are like the kiddies ones

lawrawrrr
07-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Sometimes I just cut split ends off my hair which is like probably bad but I do it anyway then even out the length. Its cos im avoiding hairdressers cos want my hair EXTRA LONG ahh

Yh theres a lot of tutorials on youtube or you could ask a friends/hairdressers advice

I used to do this but it's actually super bad to cut your split ends off unless you have proper barber scissors as normal ones will damage your hair more!

And if you go hairdressers and have just the ends off it'l grow quicker than if you avoid it - I've been trying to grow my hair for 3 years and it always grows faster when it's healthy after hairdressers!

O/T though don't cut styled hair because it won't look right - you literally can't see the back. To save money, go less often, and use home hair dye kits? If you dye it 4 times a year and get good hair dye on special offer you're looking at around £20, plus hair cut every month or so (£120), it'll be cheaper. You could probably find a cheaper hairdresser too, quite a lot of places do blokes' cuts for a fiver round here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IzzyUhh
07-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I used to do this but it's actually super bad to cut your split ends off unless you have proper barber scissors as normal ones will damage your hair more!

And if you go hairdressers and have just the ends off it'l grow quicker than if you avoid it - I've been trying to grow my hair for 3 years and it always grows faster when it's healthy after hairdressers!

O/T though don't cut styled hair because it won't look right - you literally can't see the back. To save money, go less often, and use home hair dye kits? If you dye it 4 times a year and get good hair dye on special offer you're looking at around £20, plus hair cut every month or so (£120), it'll be cheaper. You could probably find a cheaper hairdresser too, quite a lot of places do blokes' cuts for a fiver round here!

Thankfully they're proper ones according to my mum, I used to use like kitchen scissors but my mum bought some from a supply store!

Alkaz
07-09-2014, 10:17 AM
I pay £44.10 for my hair once a month :'[ £9.90 seems so cheap!

OT: I would never dream of cutting my own hair.

Jssy
07-09-2014, 11:10 AM
I'ma trained hairdresser so I can cut my hair and do, but its a lot harder when you have a specific style, especially the back, like I can cut the layers at the back of my hair as I know how to graduate hair, but its definitely much easier if you have long hair as you can do a one length cut by bringing the hair to the front. Invest in some hairdressing scissors, I showed Izzy mine the other day and they're so good but they're left handed ones because I'm left handed. Youtube was good when I started hairdressing

lawrawrrr
07-09-2014, 11:18 AM
Thankfully they're proper ones according to my mum, I used to use like kitchen scissors but my mum bought some from a supply store!

aaah that's cool then!! I bought some myself the other day for when I sometimes do my fringe. Only get it cut about once a year - although this will be my second haircut this year :O

WHAT how is it that expensive? That's more than mine costs! Also OVER £500 A YEAR

Alkaz
07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
aaah that's cool then!! I bought some myself the other day for when I sometimes do my fringe. Only get it cut about once a year - although this will be my second haircut this year :O

WHAT how is it that expensive? That's more than mine costs! Also OVER £500 A YEAR
I get it done at Toni&Guy which is why... I love the hair treatments they give you and the head massage :[

buttons
07-09-2014, 12:03 PM

jeez what it used to cost me £35 for colour > treatment > cut > blowdry!!!

mine costs like £7 now for a trim every few months but someone comes to mine to do it

Alkaz
07-09-2014, 12:07 PM
jeez what it used to cost me £35 for colour > treatment > cut > blowdry!!!

mine costs like £7 now for a trim every few months but someone comes to mine to do it
omg what, that is literally so cheap :[ All the hairdressers where I live are Turkish barbers and they literally do what ever the hell they want with your hair and you end up coming out looking like a complete *******.

OldLoveSong
07-09-2014, 04:45 PM
I only cut off my split ends sumtimes nd i dont needa worry if i mess up cuz i have layers in my hair and it all just blends in together lol

Shar
07-09-2014, 04:50 PM
I'm not brave enough to cut my own hair, I'm quite reluctant in letting any of my family or friends do it as well.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!