PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Habbo to disconnect from reality?

Brad
12-09-2014, 04:37 AM
I know that maybe there's a thread about this but this is kind of different.

I am currently in the process of writing an article about how some people use Habbo as a disconnect from reality based on circumstances that lie in the "Real World".

Now, I'm not asking everyone to go into great detail about why you personally go on Habbo, but I know that there are some people go on Habbo to escape reality.

I will be using this information to use in my article, so if you wish not to have your reason put into my article, please let me know. I want to keep all parties well respected.

I thank you for your participation in doing this.

Empired
12-09-2014, 07:06 AM
I originally joined Habbo in 2006 because I had two IRL friends who told me it was good. We used to go around rooms together playing FF and if one of you got scammed by getting banned the other two would go back in a scream SCAMMMMM. Oh yh I'd just like to point out we were eight/nine lol this wasn't recent.

I left for a long while and can't remember why. Then came back around the time I started secondary school. I wasn't very good at making friends so I had a lot of empty evenings and Habbo was perfect for filling them. I made a couple of friends who were much older than me (I was 11 and they were about 15) so I felt like royalty cos they were paying me all this attention lol. We used to buy rights in Carnivals and Takeshi's Castles and things. (I became so pro at those games in that time.)

Then we fell out though I can't really remember why, but I'd already been introduced to Habbox at this point so I just moved to that. I must've been about 13 by now and loved all the different people in the community. Although I had friends at school now they weren't very nice to me and they NEVER asked me to do anything outside of school/would come up with any excuse whenever I asked them to do something. So it was back to Habbo every night again. I didn't join up to the forum until about two or three months after being introduced to Habbox because I didn't really understand what it was lol.

Three and a half years on and I'm still here. Guess it's just habit now. Plus I s'pose I spent all those years on Habbo when I should've been learning social skills and now it's much harder to learn them. I am getting better though. So yeah I guess I do/did hide from reality.

Oops there's my life story. Hope it helps lol x

Matt
12-09-2014, 08:37 AM
I signed up 09 because I had irl friends on it and originally saw at as pointless.My irl friend actually introduced me to Habbo/x and he is why I'm here (pretty sure he doesn't come on anymore) but yeah. My friend then quit but I ended up making quite a few other friends on it (even though it's still pretty pointless) and I'm still on it today. I use it because there's so many different kinds of .... people? and the fact I now have so many friends on it, it's just become a really really bad habit of mine that I can't seem to get rid of.

I guess you could say I do use it to escape certain aspects of reality but I just use if purely for the social side and friends.

I don't even think that answered your question LMAO, damn Matt.

Shar
12-09-2014, 10:56 AM
I initially joined habbo in 2005 with my siblings and it was something we did together. I then stopped playing for about 3 years.

In 2009 I rejoined with my friends and it was something we'd play together. Somewhere along the line I suppose I started to play to escape real life. In 2010 I joined habbox and I was quite involved in the community. I think I was on the laptop all the time and soon it started affecting my grades, social life or lack of and social skills.

I feel more confident now these days and the more I feel so the less I feel like to run away from life.

I don't use the forum and habbo for escape anymore, I'm only using them when I have nothing better to do and that's quite uncommon than it used to be. I'm more busy than I used to be so I do disappear for a while and reappear out of nowhere when I have the time.

buttons
12-09-2014, 11:13 AM
why is everyone writing this in a format eg I joined in ____ blahblah

anyway no, i don't believe it was to escape reality. despite my life being in tatters, the reality of my situation was always still there when on the internet. in fact, internet usage has always been a way to deal with issues through talking about it. i never used habbo/internet to pretend reality wasn't happening, they were separate things to me always. depends what รน see as escaping reality tho I guess.

lemons
12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
People I speak to on habbo are generally more interesting and easier to get on with than ppl from school so maybe

Jurv
12-09-2014, 01:45 PM
when i was in secondary school i'd say so, yeah

i used to lack a lot of confidence and pretty much despised my school years, didn't have any close friends until the final year so it sucked a lot. i think at this point i was in events so it distracted my mind and kept me happy whilst talking about stuff to online friends i wouldn't dream of telling people irl lmao. i think you can kinda tell from back then to now, i've come out of my shell a hell of a lot, and it's been the same irl. i'm extremely happy with life atm so find that i don't need habbo anymore. obviously i still go on to speak to people but other than that it's cool. reality is x10 better than online nowadayzz

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!