PDA

View Full Version : Caught in a current/nearly drowning

-:Undertaker:-
15-09-2014, 01:29 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/incoming/article84315.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/Formby-coast.jpg
Formby beach

I was watching videos on rip currents again when swimming in the ocean, and it's reminded me of when I was at Formby beach a few years back and me and a few friends went in the water. Anywho, we went deeper and deeper so that I could just about touch the floor (barely) and I noticed how as we were floating we were getting pulled further and further from the shore at quite a fast rate. So panic set in, and I told them to try get back so that we could touch the floor again and I could literally feel the power of the tide pulling us out, especially when I managed to put my feet back on the ground... I swam pretty strong against it.

Anyway, on getting out of the water and walking back I noticed what we should've looked at before we went in: the red flags were flying on the beach which meant that you're not advised to go into the water as it's dangerous. We were likely caught in a rip current, which is a stream of water that carries you out to sea as there's no sandbanks in the way. I always remember now after looking at this last year, always swim to the SIDE as opposed to trying to swim against the current because you're in most cases fighting a losing battle.

http://sundaytimes.lk/110703/images/Rip-Current-0.jpg

So, have any of you ever got in a similiar situation? Or even have you ever nearly drowned in a pool, bath or pond?

Lewis
16-09-2014, 06:38 PM
I nearly drowned at the beach when I was like really young, that's all I know lol

lemons
16-09-2014, 06:42 PM
no i never swim in the sea! sharks

buttons
16-09-2014, 06:45 PM
was on a jet ski with a guy and it stopped working so i had to get off and swim for someone to help :( but it was really calm waters and we weren't too far out

also me n my friend went swimming and she was too embarassed to tell me she couldn't swim n we ended up having to get the lifeguard to help her -.- I HAD TO STAY IN THE SHALLOW END WITH HER FOR THE REST OF THE DAY

MKR&*42
16-09-2014, 06:48 PM
I nearly drowned at a beach as a kid, i went deep into the water and when i went to the surface someone had rowed their humongous inflatable lifeboat over the top of m and i was already gaspin for breath nd nearly didnt have time to actually swim to where the boat wasnt, my stepdad pulled me out in the end and saved my life pretty much as i recall being so close to drowning.

Sian
16-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I've not actually, considering I've lived by the beach all my life, though the seaweed puts me off swimming in the sea. You get stories in the paper almost everyday in the summer over here though, with the tourists going swimming and almost drifting into the sea, getting stuck on small rocks when high tide etc.

Guess as I grew up with it I kind of learnt the tricks of the trade when it comes to swimming etc on beaches? (Obviously some things aren't avoidable though).

geo
16-09-2014, 07:00 PM
yea, apparently i nearly drowned when i was around one when we lived in thailand and some guy saved me

also when at water parks i seem to get kicked in the head a lot so one time i was under the water for a while because some dude had kicked me and i kinda lost coordination

Prosiary
16-09-2014, 07:15 PM
i never go in the sea, cant swim that well tbh

xxMATTGxx
16-09-2014, 08:23 PM
I wouldn't say I was nearly drowning but was an experience that scared me a little as I was a kid and very young. Was on holiday to Zakynthos (Zante) and was near the ship wreck tourist point and the only way to get is via a boat. Anyway, jumped off this boat from the upper deck and went I went into the water I think I forgot to close my mouth and came back up coughing so bad and all I could taste at the back of my throat was so much salt. It was like it was blocked at he back.

Long story short: Close your ******* mouth when jumping into water.

Chris
16-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Eee that sounds like a scary experience, Dan. I've never experienced anything like because I don't really like swimming in the sea. The most i'll do is put my feet in it.

Matt
17-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I love swimming!!

I think the only time I came close to drowning was when I was like 4 and fell into our pool in our old old house. I fell backwards into the deep end and couldn't swim and dad had to get me.

Ahnime
19-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Although swimming is fun, I'm scared of swimming in the ocean. But if I ever do swim in the ocean I'll definitely keep this in mind. Glad you're safe though! :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!