PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Possible leaked footage

peteyt
21-09-2014, 10:25 AM
Close to a possible date for a technical preview of the new windows 9, footage rumoured to be showing off windows 9 has been posted online. 3 videos have surfaced showing some new possible features - The newly returned and modified start menu as well as showing metro apps running as windowed desktop apps, a new notification area and a multiple desktop mode.

I think the videos if real show promise and show that Microsoft is listening to what its customers want. I've never really missed the start menu myself, finding the metro screen was simply a newly designed and actually easier and handier start menu but a lot of people have refused to upgrade due to its removal. I also didn't like the fact metro apps couldn't run like normal apps in a desktop environment. With these things hopefully being added along with many other features I think Windows 9 could be a success, just like Windows 7 was after Vista.

What do you think?
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/3496959/windows-9-release-date-price-features-beta-uk-30-september-event/

MKR&*42
21-09-2014, 10:49 AM
Whilst I do think it looks much nicer, the fact they've shoved the metro apps tiles in the start bar area is absolutely disgusting. Everything else looks pretty good so far though.

Chris
21-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Looks interesting. If I was on my desktop then I would opt for the more traditional start menu, but if I was on my surface then I would definitely stick to the new start screen.

Whilst I do think it looks much nicer, the fact they've shoved the metro apps tiles in the start bar area is absolutely disgusting. Everything else looks pretty good so far though.

I think having them attached to the start menu will probably be optional.

Hannah
21-09-2014, 11:02 AM
It certainly looks a lot better than Windows 8, but still not that appealing.
I still much prefer Windows 7.

Lewis
21-09-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't like it. I don't see why there's so much hate for Windows 8, I really like it and find it much better than Windows 7.

KJK
21-09-2014, 09:52 PM
I am not interested in clicking on a link, but if it is anything like windows 8, I will hate it. I just got a new computer and I specifically told the people who made it not to let it be windows 8. Windows 7 is much better IMO.

Jssy
21-09-2014, 10:08 PM
looks awful, just like windows 8.

:odey:
21-09-2014, 10:12 PM
I still haven't even used windows 8, so I don't know how bad it is, but this looks kinda ok, ish..

peteyt
21-09-2014, 10:19 PM
I don't like it. I don't see why there's so much hate for Windows 8, I really like it and find it much better than Windows 7.

I agree but I think windows 9 will be able to bring those who didn't like it in which is good. The metro screen will still be available I think for those who prefer it.

I am not interested in clicking on a link, but if it is anything like windows 8, I will hate it. I just got a new computer and I specifically told the people who made it not to let it be windows 8. Windows 7 is much better IMO.
It's Windows 9 which is trying to fix the issues of windows 8 so its worth a try as you won't know if its good till you've tried it

KJK
22-09-2014, 09:38 PM
I agree but I think windows 9 will be able to bring those who didn't like it in which is good. The metro screen will still be available I think for those who prefer it.

It's Windows 9 which is trying to fix the issues of windows 8 so its worth a try as you won't know if its good till you've tried it

Very True. I might find a way to give it a test drive some time.

AgnesIO
22-09-2014, 10:14 PM
Windows 8 is infinitely better than 7 imo.

It has it's floors, but I find using 7 nowadays quite an old fashioned, clunky experience.

xxMATTGxx
29-09-2014, 04:55 PM
Windows 8 isn't as bad as what some people make it out to be. Been using it since the first day it was released and have never had any major issues at all. Will probably upgrade to 9 when it comes out as well. Remember guys, anything you see at the moment is still in development/testing stages.

xxMATTGxx
30-09-2014, 05:07 PM
The next version of Windows is called: Windows 10.

http://d35lb3dl296zwu.cloudfront.net/uploads/photo/image/18133/VRG_1062.jpg

MKR&*42
30-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Why not 9? Have I missed something here.

dbgtz
30-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Why not 9? Have I missed something here.

Christ knows... I'm surprised they didn't called it Windows One.

xxMATTGxx
30-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Q: Can you talk about the name? Seems weird going from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

A: This product, when you see the product in your fullness I think you'll agree with us that it's a more appropriate name.

Windows One wouldn't have actually been a bad name considering they are going with the "One" platform approach. Although Windows 10 isn't that bad of a name :P

GommeInc
30-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Windows 10... It's not copying OS X by any chance? :P Windows One would have been such a good name. Also, if Windows 7 is anything to go by, Windows 9 (or 10) will definitely be better. Much like Vista wasn't seen as great after XP, yet Windows 7 was fine.

Chippiewill
30-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Working theory is that Microsoft is operating in Base 9.

Firehorse
30-09-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-skips--too-good--windows-9--jumps-to-windows-10.html

Turns out this April fool's prank from last year wasn't a prank at all!

Tyler
30-09-2014, 09:35 PM
They went from windows 8 to 10 because seven ate nine.

GommeInc
01-10-2014, 09:48 AM
They went from windows 8 to 10 because seven ate nine.
That's so terrible it's amazing.

peteyt
01-10-2014, 10:05 AM
Might try the technical preview maybe virtually. The name I'm not sure about I understand the reason but I can imagine some people getting confused wondering where 9 is. Windows one has people have suggested would have fitted the idea of one operating system they have, and it would have went with the xbox one, but then people complained the xbox one made it sound like an old xbox rather than a new one

Lewis
01-10-2014, 12:30 PM
Christ knows... I'm surprised they didn't called it Windows One.

I was actually thinking they'd call it that lol, it'd make sense

xxMATTGxx
01-10-2014, 09:14 PM
The actually number at the end doesn't really make much difference as Windows 8 = Not 8th version of Windows. Ten is a good solid number and I think with all the changes in Microsoft's management they want to go out with a bang in their next version of Windows that's where they got the "10" from. Winamp also did something similar, they skipped a version and didn't have a version 4 but went straight to a version 5.

Some also say that they didn't call it Windows 9 due to the fact that legacy software that checks the OS version would determine that Windows 9 is an old version of Windows relating back to older versions of Windows. (Windows 98 and some even say Windows ME for some reason) - I don't have the knowledge behind this to see if it's a valid approach.

Chippiewill
02-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Some also say that they didn't call it Windows 9 due to the fact that legacy software that checks the OS version would determine that Windows 9 is an old version of Windows relating back to older versions of Windows. (Windows 98 and some even say Windows ME for some reason) - I don't have the knowledge behind this to see if it's a valid approach.

https://searchcode.com/?q=if%28version%2Cstartswith%28%22windows+9%22%29

peteyt
02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Tried it out on virtualbox and not bad. Still don't get why you can't swap tiles up and down wise (has to be right or left)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!