PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem - possibly graphics card

peteyt
09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
I've got a problem with my newish custom built computer (A friend built it for me).

It's been relatively fine until a week or so ago. My girlfriend went onto my pc touched my tower and the monitor went off and we had to reboot it was fine and then randomly kept happening every so often. If I left it a while shutting down with the power button on my pc would turn it off instantly so I tried to access it via teamviewer, a remote control program with the computer apparently being offline.

When I rebooted this time I checked the event log and there was a critical error each time it happened pointing towards intel's graphic card control panel. The problem with this is I'm now using nvidia geforce 760. I updated my graphics card and other drivers, went into the bios and made sure it was set to the dedicated card as a default and also removed the intel graphics card control panel but the problem kept happening but there was no error, occasionaly there was a not critical error that it couldn't find the intel control panel.

My monitor was old although I knew it wasn't a monitor issue, but yesterday I bought a 24 inch Samsung LED HD Monitor and it's flashed a few times randomly but not shut down yet.

It seems to be that although I'm using the nvidia card it is trying to use the intel card. It still has the igfxCUIService running on automatic although its stopped now.

Any ideas?

scottish
09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
if it happened when she touched the case, then reseat the graphics card etc.

lRhyss
09-10-2014, 01:41 PM
It could be a dodgy HMDI cable, if you got it from like eBay or something...

-Nick
09-10-2014, 06:20 PM
I would also suggest this. It's most likely that the HMDI cable going from case to screen it faulty.

peteyt
09-10-2014, 06:26 PM

I would also suggest this. It's most likely that the HMDI cable going from case to screen it faulty.

It's not the cable as the problem happened on my old monitor to which used a a standard monitor lead as it was an old small TFT screen. It's only since yesterday I've been using a HDMI cable

peteyt
09-10-2014, 06:42 PM
if it happened when she touched the case, then reseat the graphics card etc.
I pushed the card in and it seemed to go in a bit. It didn't come with a screw so I'm using the same type my tower uses could this be why?

lRhyss
09-10-2014, 07:15 PM
I pushed the card in and it seemed to go in a bit. It didn't come with a screw so I'm using the same type my tower uses could this be why?
what tower/card? If it's a wrong fit screw and the card isn't in the slot properly, it could be the problem, have you tried using a new monitor?

peteyt
09-10-2014, 09:22 PM
what tower/card? If it's a wrong fit screw and the card isn't in the slot properly, it could be the problem, have you tried using a new monitor?

The monitor I'm using I bought yesterday and the same problem happened with the previous monitor so I know its not a monitor issue. As the card seemed to push in I think that may have sorted it but as the problem can occur randomly I am going to have to keep an eye on it to be sure

lRhyss
09-10-2014, 09:43 PM
The monitor I'm using I bought yesterday and the same problem happened with the previous monitor so I know its not a monitor issue. As the card seemed to push in I think that may have sorted it but as the problem can occur randomly I am going to have to keep an eye on it to be sure
Try seeing if you can get a better fitting screw, google this:

*INSERT CASE NAME HERE* PCI slot screw

If you've found it's the problem with the gpu not fitting in correctly, this will fix it :)

Plean
09-10-2014, 09:49 PM
Your graphics card might be out dated or not compatible with your up to date monitor!

peteyt
09-10-2014, 10:00 PM
Your graphics card might be out dated or not compatible with your up to date monitor!
As mentioned all drivers are up to date and it happens with multiple monitors. Think its fixed now though

-Nick
16-10-2014, 08:53 PM
As mentioned all drivers are up to date and it happens with multiple monitors. Think its fixed now though
Has the problem definitely resolved now?

peteyt
23-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Has the problem definitely resolved now?
Seems so

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!