PDA

View Full Version : Happy National Coming Out Day!

God
11-10-2014, 01:21 PM
Happy National Coming Out Day !!!!!!

http://www.twincitiesquorum.com/Resources/Pictures/NCOD%202013%20-%20Logo%20Option%202.jpg

-:Undertaker:-
11-10-2014, 01:38 PM
The amount of 'national days' now is absurd.

I'll stick to Christmas, Easter, Halloween, St Georges/Andrews/Patricks & Davids Day.

karter
11-10-2014, 03:17 PM
today i come out as a purple penguin ally

(This is a joke, Undertaker.)

Lewis
11-10-2014, 04:44 PM
I find days like this very idiotic. I am a person all about equality among many different things, whether it's sexuality/race/whatever, but a coming out day is just stupid.

P.S. You've got the wrong year on that picture :P.

Kyle
11-10-2014, 05:28 PM
someone explain to me why coming out is such a big deal

merier
11-10-2014, 05:37 PM
"Coming out" is ridiculously outdated

As with gay pride, it does nothing but to greaten the gap between gay and straight people

Empired
11-10-2014, 05:38 PM
someone explain to me why coming out is such a big deal
Because a relatively short time ago it was illegal to be homosexual. all of a sudden people are not just trying to ignore it, they are openly accepting it.

don't see why it requires a day specifically for it but coming out is a big deal. especially if you're afraid because your family isn't all that accepting or your friends might not be so comfortable around you anymore.

Kyle
11-10-2014, 05:44 PM
but why is it necessary to tell everybody and be proud of it. doesnt define u

merier
11-10-2014, 05:50 PM
but why is it necessary to tell everybody and be proud of it. doesnt define u

Exactly, you are not defined as a person by your sexuality. I'm gay and I'll discuss my sexuality when I'm asked and if it feels right. Coming out is only as necessary as you feel it is, and for me it's not necessary at all. Your sexuality is a personal thing and the world doesn't have to know who you prefer to have sex with.

AgnesIO
11-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Coming out day?

Ridiculous.

MKR&*42
11-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Think the idea of it as a day is ridiculous (but bear in mind we also have like 'cupcake day' which idk just beyond me), but I understand the pressure on coming out. Cause believe it or not, there are still a handful of people who don't like [insertanyword except hetero]sexuality and it sucks if they're your parents or something. That is why it's still a deal.

dbgtz
11-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Every day seems to have something associated with it which just lowers any significance of it as far as I'm concerned.

buttons
11-10-2014, 06:24 PM
this is really triggering for me i cannot believe there is a DAY for coming out do they not know how hetrosexuals feel very triggering where is hetrosexuality awareness day

j0rd
11-10-2014, 06:37 PM
GoldenMerc; nows your time

karter
11-10-2014, 06:50 PM
this is really triggering for me i cannot believe there is a DAY for coming out do they not know how hetrosexuals feel very triggering where is hetrosexuality awareness day

exactly my thoughts jen!! coming out day is a heterophobic propoganda perpetuated by the gays :\

Lewis
11-10-2014, 08:14 PM
I see being gay or whatever else as normal, and you don't see straights 'coming out of the closet', so why should other sexualities? It should only be said if it's brought up somehow or if you really want to tell someone for whatever reason lol

first step to becoming accepted is to accept yourself and not have stupid things like this

buttons
11-10-2014, 08:20 PM
hetros dont need to come out cause ppl assume everyone is hetro UNLESS THEY SAY SO HENCE COMING OUT
its one day get over it
myb sum1 wanna come out to u n youre like IDC BOUT UR SEXUALITY so they just keep everythin to themselves in future

first step to being accepted is to accept yourself wtf is that about????? u dont need to love yourself before anyone else can? plz stop

Lewis
11-10-2014, 08:28 PM
hetros dont need to come out cause ppl assume everyone is hetro UNLESS THEY SAY SO HENCE COMING OUT
its one day get over it
myb sum1 wanna come out to u n youre like IDC BOUT UR SEXUALITY so they just keep everythin to themselves in future

first step to being accepted is to accept yourself wtf is that about????? u dont need to love yourself before anyone else can? plz stop

I didn't mean it like that. what I meant is that if you're thinking that being gay is a big deal, it will continue to be a big deal. I personally believe having days like this is only going to worsen problems and make it a bigger problem. if a national day is what people want, fine, but I find it rather stupid!

God
11-10-2014, 08:37 PM
The day is just to spread awareness and to maybe give people that extra little push to come out.

Coming out is important because it brings awareness to people, that yes, friends and loved ones around you are gay, and break down the lies and distortions people have learned about gay people.

Jazz
12-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Its a campaign, my god.

Its actually extremely helpful and is a really good way to spread awareness, coming out is so difficult (well for me anyway) and it was nice to have this campaign to fall on for support

RyRy
12-10-2014, 12:02 PM
Its a campaign, my god.

Its actually extremely helpful and is a really good way to spread awareness, coming out is so difficult (well for me anyway) and it was nice to have this campaign to fall on for support

Just so happens the campaign revolves around one day, when coming out should be something that's okay to do 365 days a year.

JUST SAYIN.

Empired
12-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Just so happens the campaign revolves around one day, when coming out should be something that's okay to do 365 days a year.

JUST SAYIN.
Stand up to cancer night on friday. "better be canceled because people can get cancer 365 days a year so this campaign shouldn't revolve around one day!!!1"
you can't raise awareness for something all year round; it's better to have one day where it's pushed than no days at all

just sayin pyroka x

dbgtz
12-10-2014, 12:32 PM
People keep saying it's raising awareness... awareness of what exactly?

RyRy
12-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Stand up to cancer night on friday. "better be canceled because people can get cancer 365 days a year so this campaign shouldn't revolve around one day!!!1"
you can't raise awareness for something all year round; it's better to have one day where it's pushed than no days at all

just sayin pyroka x

Pretty much what deebeegeeteezee said, with cancer pretty much everybody knows about it though so... These awareness campaigns don't make much sense to me.

Somebody should make a day to raise awareness about being aware. That would be the pinnacle of my year.

AgnesIO
12-10-2014, 04:32 PM

just sayin pyroka x

i think the world is probably already aware of cancer

- - - Updated - - -

that it is no longer illegal to be gay

Matt
13-10-2014, 01:02 AM
I think because in many cultures and so on, being homosexual is still frowned upon and comes with negative connotations. Therefore something like this is raising awareness of how it's (slowly) being accepted more and more. It also gives those who are struggling to come to terms with their sexuality the message that it's ok to be gay and that everyone is still human regardless of their sexual preferences.

Krazybethw
13-10-2014, 01:32 AM
Its ridiculous to have a coming out day. im not against people having different sexualities. I know its about awarenes.

AgnesIO
13-10-2014, 07:34 AM
I think because in many cultures and so on, being homosexual is still frowned upon and comes with negative connotations. Therefore something like this is raising awareness of how it's (slowly) being accepted more and more. It also gives those who are struggling to come to terms with their sexuality the message that it's ok to be gay and that everyone is still human regardless of their sexual preferences.

... as though gay pride doesn't do this already?

Side note: It is National Yorkshire Pudding and National Train Your Brain day today.

Lewis
13-10-2014, 02:42 PM

It more gives me the opposite message -- it'd make me think when something is so normal why are they making a big deal made out of it?

If it helps people, good, but I'm only just giving my opinion on it anyway lol.

Lewis
14-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Just found this. Although this is about race, this pretty much sums up my opinion of this and other matters :P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ

Samantha
14-10-2014, 11:26 PM
I don't think a day is really needed for it, but if it helps then at least it's doing its job I guess. The other day BuzzFeed posted a video on YouTube about straight people 'coming out' - it seems a bit fitting here and it sort of sends the message that we shouldn't really judge people on their sexuality. Although it might be a pointless video to some, it's interesting how it'd be the other way round sort of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkFewRm_YC4

I don't think it has any bad language, but just in case.

This was posted on the 11th, so I think the holiday might be why :P.

e5
15-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Why pick a day to come out? ... Now it's happened, was it celebrated successfully? I think all these days are so pointless. Do the people coming out feel more confident in doing so because theres a day celebrating it?

buttons
15-10-2014, 08:13 AM
lmao at all the hetros in here smh go away u losers, its a celebratory day for a minority of people not for u majority to ***** and complain about it
do u feel so uncomfortable when things arent about u
one day dedicated to coming out, one of the hardest things people will do, so pointless, so pointless..

Kyle
15-10-2014, 12:06 PM
lmao at all the hetros in here smh go away u losers, its a celebratory day for a minority of people not for u majority to ***** and complain about it
one day dedicated to coming out, one of the hardest things people will do, so pointless, so pointless..

Still wondering why there is a need for the day. Coming out day might well be a celebration but why should we need to celebrate it and give people big pats on the back for being oh so brave. Where in life is sexuality relevant or important other than in the private sphere? Why is there pressure for people to tell others their private preferences. Just don't understand it.

~~from phone

Lewis
15-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Just to add in from all my previous posts, I'm part of the minority.

Kyle
15-10-2014, 01:47 PM
Just to add in from all my previous posts, I'm part of the minority.

Happy coming out day :)!!!!!!!

~~from phone

Lewis
15-10-2014, 01:50 PM
Happy coming out day :)!!!!!!!

~~from phone

Never even heard of this ludicrous day before this thread :P.

Becca
22-10-2014, 07:41 PM
i think ur all being ******s to be fair

are you all saying this is pointless yet you will all go mental on pancake day and celebrate it by eating pancakes which is the most useless of them all just because you need a SPECIAL DAY to eat pancakes

oooo why don't you just eat pancakes any other day of the year

-:Undertaker:-
24-10-2014, 05:26 AM
i think ur all being ******s to be fair

are you all saying this is pointless yet you will all go mental on pancake day and celebrate it by eating pancakes which is the most useless of them all just because you need a SPECIAL DAY to eat pancakes

oooo why don't you just eat pancakes any other day of the year

Pancake Day is a religious day with an actual meaning.

it seems a bit fitting here and it sort of sends the message that we shouldn't really judge people on their sexuality.

What is this strange message we're constantly preached that we shouldn't judge something, someone or people/practices? Why not? It's one thing disagreeing with what people are saying, its another to say it shouldn't even be discussed/debated. If somebody doesn't like something or a practice, they should feel free to say that out in the open and then we can all debate/discuss it... we may learn something new.

I don't think public utilities should be nationalised in 2014 yet it's still interesting to discuss or debate.

buttons
24-10-2014, 09:59 AM
lol when people say 'your sexuality doesnt define u' thats funny cause today someone was saying 'not being hetrosexual is gross' so its ok for other people to define me but me defining myself and coming out is 'pointless' or some other ****

Kyle
24-10-2014, 05:13 PM
lol when people say 'your sexuality doesnt define u' thats funny cause today someone was saying 'not being hetrosexual is gross' so its ok for other people to define me but me defining myself and coming out is 'pointless' or some other ****

Sexuality is one facet, not an all encompassing personality. By being defined or indeed defining oneself as X sexuality it forces a person to accept a label an all connotations that come with it from others. Not being heterosexual may well be gross to some people but so is picking your nose and scratching your arse, which plenty of people do without feeling the need to preach about it. If you tell somebody you're into bdsm or like collecting stamps they might think you're an utter weirdo -- so don't tell them. These are things that peoplw experience on a personal level and should only share, IMO, with those that will share it with them.

Why must sexuality be publicised and embraced... What is the need for "coming out" when people will either say " I knew it!" , "well done" (why?) or "soz we can't be m8s u mite fancy me". How does providing fuel for more homophobia fight it? STILL LOST.

~~from phone

buttons
24-10-2014, 05:24 PM
no i'll share my sexuality with whoever the **** i like so i can weed out ******** like you who tell me its not important for me to talk about something i feel ostracized by, to not talk about something 'im told is unnatural, disgusting, a phase, doesn't even exist', to not talk about something i was confused with for years because you don't learn about it other than the said negative attitudes towards it.

MKR&*42
24-10-2014, 05:34 PM
lol wow "providing fuel for homophobia" - you're basically implying that people declaring their sexuality is what causes more homophobia oh my ****** god watch out anyone who isn't straight, don't ever declare your sexuality because that's what causes all the bullying (Y).

The Don
24-10-2014, 05:40 PM
lol wow "providing fuel for homophobia" - you're basically implying that people declaring their sexuality is what causes more homophobia oh my ****** god watch out anyone who isn't straight, don't ever declare your sexuality because that's what causes all the bullying (Y).

Lol it's just people blaming the victims rather than the homophobic bigots.

- - - Updated - - -

Why must sexuality be publicised and embraced...

I think it's more about making it socially acceptable to be gay in the hopes of preventing homophobia rather than getting people to publicise it. I know that 'Happy National Coming Out Day' literally translates to publicise your homosexuality day, but i'm talking about the intentions of the holiday. Putting it in the mainstream makes it seem normal which helps remove the overall stigma attached to it. And sexuality doesn't necessarily have to be embraced either, although I wouldn't think that it's healthy to have to lie about yourself to your family/friends/co-workers.

What is the need for "coming out" when people will either say " I knew it!" , "well done" (why?) or "soz we can't be m8s u mite fancy me". How does providing fuel for more homophobia fight it? STILL LOST.

What do you mean? Why should somebody have to hide what they are? Coming out doesn't necessarily mean somebody invites everyone they know over to a huge party where they reveal their secret, it could be you asking your crush out in private, telling your friend who has been trying to set you up with the opposite sex for months that you're not into that etc etc.

scottish
24-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Pretty sure he's gay himself lol

buttons
24-10-2014, 06:45 PM
And sexuality doesn't necessarily have to be embraced either, although I wouldn't think that it's healthy to have to lie about yourself to your family/friends/co-workers.
this exactly. i've to compromise my self-esteem and mental health to cater for homophobes. i've known i like girls since i was 11 but didn't have a name for it until i was about 14 and other girls came out. they were called freaks and attention *****s so i didn't come out until i was 15 to close 'friends' who thought it was really weird but then we'd get drunk and they were like 'we should all kiss jennifer!' then pretend to be disgusted with it?? idk it was a weird game that i didn't like but the stereotype is that bisexuals fancy every male and female and don't care about being experiments for everyone else. they're all out and proud now even though they made me feel bad about mine because they weren't comfortable with their own sexuality, which is what seems to be happening here.

i still haven't came out to anyone but those friends and people on the internet. & like i mentioned, the other day a girl ive been friends with for the past 2 years made a comment about lesbians being butch and disgusting. i just smile and nod. i think i'd be a lot happier if i was out as bisexual and away from homophobes but then i'll feel **** knowing people are gossiping about me and avoiding me for it cause i so obv fancy them all.

so its either keep my sexuality to myself or close people (who shunned me for it in the past) or come out and be avoided and treated like a leper or a toy for them to try experiment on lol i think the better option is to come out, people accept you (rather than make terrible excuses such as oh you should keep it to yourself!) and then your self esteem and mental health is better because you're not feeling disgusting and having these pent up thoughts.

Becca
24-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Pancake Day is a religious day with an actual meaning.

you really think the stupid people around the world actually know this? they do it cause they need a DAY to eat pancakes

The Don
24-10-2014, 08:20 PM
you really think the stupid people around the world actually know this? they do it cause they need a DAY to eat pancakes

Lol init. As if anybody is actually celebrating pancakes day for any reason other than to eat pancakes.

dbgtz
25-10-2014, 12:27 PM
I wonder how many people have actually experienced homophobia (or any other kind of discrimination), or have just assumed it was, ignoring other reasons it could be. I was reading a story about some guy coming out (which he wrote to do with this day) and he basically says his whole family found out yady yada, even his dad who uses "homophobic language". But then, when he starts to describe his boyfriend, most of his family react negatively. It seems he thinks it's to do with homophobia when in reality, he was just out of school and the boyfriend was in his late 30's/early 40's. Just makes me wonder.

buttons
25-10-2014, 12:36 PM
I wonder how many people have actually experienced homophobia (or any other kind of discrimination), or have just assumed it was
lol are u actually serious
you're not homo/bi/pan so how on earth would u know what they experience or feel?
just cause they dont face it personally, doesn't mean they don't hear homophobia everyday of their lives.

dbgtz
25-10-2014, 12:44 PM
lol are u actually serious
you're not homo/bi/pan so how on earth would u know what they experience or feel?
just cause they dont face it personally, doesn't mean they don't hear homophobia everyday of their lives.

That statement was linked to the anecdote. It's just a query, not me trying to suggest most people are lying or exaggerating.

God
25-10-2014, 01:43 PM
I think the whole idea of coming out is not to lie to yourself and other any more and be true to yourself. Also it's kinda hard to find a bf/gf/other when your in the closet. Just saying. It's also to bring awareness to other people that yes, your family/friends/coworkers are lgbt, and to break down bad stereotypes about them.

Adam
25-10-2014, 01:46 PM
this is the most pointless thing

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!