PDA

View Full Version : Chromebook

October
13-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Does anyone have or use a Chromebook?

I think I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have a one already that I use irregularly, perhaps once or twice ever few months, but it's probably about four or five years old and it's heating fan broke in that house fire it was in and, well, it sort of slows it down significantly.

Was just wondering people's thoughts on the Chromebook. I know it's just Google stuff and docs, and I think I'd use it mostly for writing while lounging on my bed, but still wouldn't hurt for more reviews or alternative suggestions.

lRhyss
14-10-2014, 08:23 AM
Does anyone have or use a Chromebook?

I think I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have a one already that I use irregularly, perhaps once or twice ever few months, but it's probably about four or five years old and it's heating fan broke in that house fire it was in and, well, it sort of slows it down significantly.

Was just wondering people's thoughts on the Chromebook. I know it's just Google stuff and docs, and I think I'd use it mostly for writing while lounging on my bed, but still wouldn't hurt for more reviews or alternative suggestions.
I think Becca has one, maybe she can help you? :)

Kyle
14-10-2014, 09:59 AM
Chrome books are generally very small and restrictive in what you access. Don't expect to do anything exciting on it, they're cheap for a reason. As a word processor it's fine but for anything more than that you're better off with a real laptop.

~~from phone

Chippiewill
14-10-2014, 10:36 AM
I have a Chromebook, it was super cheap and its great for web browsing. Just bear in mind that without an internet connection it's near useless.

Becca
14-10-2014, 04:39 PM
Basically the post above explains all of it, it's pretty useless other than doing perhaps uni/college work. That's mainly what I bought it for, it's brilliant for day to day web use but if you're after downloading things such as skype, there's no point. I have to use my phone for skype but HOPEFULLY they're planning on bringing an app for it to use on chromebooks so I'll be impressed.

October
14-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Chrome books are generally very small and restrictive in what you access. Don't expect to do anything exciting on it, they're cheap for a reason. As a word processor it's fine but for anything more than that you're better off with a real laptop.

~~from phone
I'd use it just so I can lounge on my bed instead of using my desktop, lol. Just casual web browsing to writing would be all.

Chippiewill
15-10-2014, 03:41 AM
One thing to note is that in future Chromebooks might be able to run Android apps as they've now added it as a test feature in the Dev channels of Chrome and Chrome OS.

- - - Updated - - -

HOPEFULLY they're planning on bringing an app for it to use on chromebooks so I'll be impressed.

Doubtful, Microsoft aren't going to make browser versions of the Skype client. They may as well stop selling windows at the point they start porting stuff to web clients.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!