PDA

View Full Version : Just got offered an interview...

James
06-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I just got offered my first ever job interview tomorrow.
Never been to one before so I'm not sure what to expect. Anyone got any tips?
Its just for a Christmas temp job in a shop but even so, i do really want this job.

Any advice?

Alysha
06-11-2014, 06:31 PM
What sort of shop is it? Food/Clothing etc?

James
06-11-2014, 06:35 PM
Its menkind, a shop that sells like gadgets and jokey stuff aimed at men
http://www.menkind.co.uk/

Alysha
06-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Ok, what I'd say, is get a basic knowledge of things they sell. For that sort of job, try and be as relaxed as possible in the interview.

What I've always done, and some people might think it's a terrible idea, is to have some suck uppy thing in the back of your head, just in case you think you need it; like a product they sell that you think is cool, or something along those lines...

James
06-11-2014, 06:53 PM
I spoke to the manager briefly yesterday when i handed my CV in and he talked me through it and he seemed cool. So it's not like ive never met him before but obv as its my 1st interview, im naturally scared

Empired
06-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Look them up, find out facts about them to impress at the interview. Try to find out about what you're talking about as many interviews for retail jobs ask you to to try and sell them (the interviewers) an item.
At the end of the day you just gotta do your best, but remember it's not the end of the world if you don't get it. I know you seem like you really want it but if you seem too desperate they'll pick up on that and automatically think you're a no.

Also if you mess up your words or something, don't be afraid to lightly apologise, admit to being a little nervous and start your sentence again. That's perfectly acceptable as almost everyone is nervous in an interview situation and it's better to just laugh it off and try again than try to battle through it.

Good luck hun x I hate interviews because I have to big myself up and i feel like an utter prat lying about saying how great i am lol :'(

Firehorse
06-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Just be relaxed, smile, be casual :)

Best thing to remember is if you don't get the job it isn't the end of the world, and remembering that will make you a lot less anxious.

Adding onto Empired's post, and in slight disagreement, I'd say don't waste your time looking up what you'll be asked because the likelihood they'll use the same questions every year after people post their experiences online is minimal. If you're asked to make a pitch for a product or something along those lines the interviewer doesn't give a toss about what you actually know about the product, they're only looking at your personality and how you present yourself. If you do know all about the subject then that's a bonus, but otherwise make it up as you go along and it won't be an issue.

James
06-11-2014, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I do feel a bit more confident, but god knows how I'll feel tomorrow morning, haha.

If anyone's had an interview with a shop before, how long do they usually last?

Jssy
06-11-2014, 10:48 PM
I had an interview with a shoe shop and it lasted half an hour.

Appear confident even if you're not, naturally be yourself though but highlight the great things about you, and always shake their hand when the interview is over, it establishes a bond between you and them and interviewers like it.

Ms.Aquamarine
06-11-2014, 11:43 PM
Congratulations on receiving an interview, Elliot!

I just have two tips for you -

~ Sit up straight, make good eye contact and most importantly - smile!

~ Try chewing gum an hour before (it helps me at least lol), but obviously no gum while being interviewed!

RyRy
07-11-2014, 03:49 AM
If there's one thing I can recommend strongly which I've followed for almost every interview I've had, its this:

Wear a suit.

You would be amazed how many people don't, and when you're the only guy who does in a group of interviewees you don't half look like you're taking this seriously and damn do employers like that. It makes you stand out more than anything, and if they can remember you compared to a bunch of other people just for wearing a suit, that's a giant plus in getting a job. I went for an interview in a suit when I went for my first job at Primark, and they did comment on it.

Other things which depend on you is try to be calm about it, and direct the interview where you want it to go. If you've got some interesting relevant stuff to say to them, talk about it. No interviewer likes being the one asking all the questions, ask a couple yourself about what it's like to work there, what the interviewer does within the company and what would be expected of you if you were to get the job, plus if there were any possibility of employment after the temporary contract ends. Show an interest at the start and you'll be the first they consider if this type of stuff comes up.

Emphasis on directing the interview where you want it to go tbh, if you find some common ground it makes you look good. Good luck chap!

Drewar
07-11-2014, 05:12 PM
Congratulations on your interview :)

Honestly, the best advice I can give is just be yourself. Be the most genuine version of yourself, employers can really pick up on that.

For example, I typically incorporate humor in to my interviews when appropriate... but that's because I naturally like to incorporate humor in to all things in my life. It's "who I am", so by being humorous, I'm being myself. I wouldn't recommend humor if you're not naturally humorous, though.

Just be the best version of your natural self :)

Empired
07-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Congratulations on your interview :)

Honestly, the best advice I can give is just be yourself. Be the most genuine version of yourself, employers can really pick up on that.

For example, I typically incorporate humor in to my interviews when appropriate... but that's because I naturally like to incorporate humor in to all things in my life. It's "who I am", so by being humorous, I'm being myself. I wouldn't recommend humor if you're not naturally humorous, though.

Just be the best version of your natural self :)
Tbh this is the best advice.

The reason for interviews is so a company can work out whether or not you'd be suited to the job. In some jobs, a chatty but not necessarily very academic person would fit in perfectly, but in other jobs they're looking for someone who can just work work work. If you're not yourself in the interview it could turn out you're not suited to the job you're applying for after all. It's better to get turned down for a job at the start than found out later that you're no good for it.

Shockwave.2CC
07-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Make sure you read up on the place, so like how many shops it has, when the first one opened etc.
plus if they ask you a lot question like... What can you bring to the company? Make sure you answer it with what the job description tells you. For example, if it says you need good communication skills, good customer service skills, can use a till etc. make sure you say something like, I have good communication and customer service skills etc. even if you don't think think you have still say it as that's wot ther looking for.

hope this sort of helped

Draqom
07-11-2014, 07:18 PM
How did the interview go Dolphins?

James
07-11-2014, 07:38 PM
How did the interview go @Dolphins (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=93499)?
Didn't get the job :P

She had like 3 pieces of paper with a total of about 35 questions on it, but she only asked about 8 then said "We'll end the interview there. I'll have a think about it and phone you in about an hour if you have got the job." - This was at about 10:15am, and it's now 7:38pm... sooo... :p

I wasn't too hopeful though. Well, I was hopeful, but not expectant.

Draqom
07-11-2014, 07:44 PM

She had like 3 pieces of paper with a total of about 35 questions on it, but she only asked about 8 then said "We'll end the interview there. I'll have a think about it and phone you in about an hour if you have got the job." - This was at about 10:15am, and it's now 7:38pm... sooo... :p

Sorry to hear that! xx

RyRy
07-11-2014, 11:40 PM

What types of questions was she asking you, and with what responses were you giving here? If we have an idea then we might be able to tell you where you may have went wrong, in hope of improving you for future interviews. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!