PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of polygamy?

Lewis
10-11-2014, 08:46 PM
In the scenario that everyone involved is aware of what's happening and are doing so under their own will, what's your opinion of polygamy?

Whether you think it's wrong, you're not bothered or think it's perfectly fine, feel free to share your opinion!

OldLoveSong
10-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Its not my lifestyle and idont agree with it but its their choice nd can live how they please

MKR&*42
10-11-2014, 08:50 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000631311/polls_meh_2813_207476_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

I'm really not fussed about the whole matter.

FlyingJesus
10-11-2014, 09:06 PM
As long as it isn't limited to just polygamy (ie: polyandry is also allowed) I see no problem with it at all. It seems ridiculous to me that it's perfectly legal to marry one person and be constantly cheating on them behind their back, but it's illegal to completely love two or more people at the same time with everyone involved being totally consenting to the situation.

lawrawrrr
11-11-2014, 10:48 AM
As long as it isn't limited to just polygamy (ie: polyandry is also allowed) I see no problem with it at all. It seems ridiculous to me that it's perfectly legal to marry one person and be constantly cheating on them behind their back, but it's illegal to completely love two or more people at the same time with everyone involved being totally consenting to the situation.

Polygamy isn't the opposite of polyandry, polygamy covers polygyny (multiple women) and polyandry (multiple men).... right?

I definitely agree with polygamy. Most people laugh when I say that as they just say to me I just want an excuse to cheat but part of me just doesn't think it's natural to commit yourself fully to one person forever. Emotionally bonded, yeah, but I'm not so sure physically. You have to hit a jackpot to find someone who absolutely matches your libido as well as everything else.

However if I had a partner who was against it id respect that and wouldn't cheat or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alysha
11-11-2014, 10:59 AM
I tend to be a jealous person, not outrageously jealous, but I don't think I could hack myself or a partner with anyone else, physically or emotionally, whilst already with said partner.

I definitely agree with polygamy. Most people laugh when I say that as they just say to me I just want an excuse to cheat but part of me just doesn't think it's natural to commit yourself fully to one person forever. Emotionally bonded, yeah, but I'm not so sure physically. You have to hit a jackpot to find someone who absolutely matches your libido as well as everything else.

However if I had a partner who was against it id respect that and wouldn't cheat or anything.

I do see where you're coming from here though, if all parties are happy in a situation where everyone is satisfied, then why not?

-:Undertaker:-
11-11-2014, 11:06 AM
I think it is wrong.

And amazingly, all those who warned that gay 'marriage' would lead to marriage within polygamy were dismissed as "ohhh that's just typical slippery slope scaremongering" well here we are a year later discussing it with marriage itself even being brought up. And those of us who believe relationships should morally be just between two people who love eachother? Well get ready to be labelled a bigot and every other name under the sun just as those who believe a relationship should be between a man and a woman have been treated by their opponents.

As my favourite US radio commentator put it, we're living in an era that is the Weimar Republic on steroids.

Alysha
11-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I think it is wrong.

And amazingly, all those who warned that gay 'marriage' would lead to marriage within polygamy were dismissed as "ohhh that's just typical slippery slope scaremongering" well here we are a year later discussing it with marriage itself even being brought up. And those of us who believe relationships should morally be just between two people who love eachother? Well get ready to be labelled a bigot and every other name under the sun just as those who believe a relationship should be between a man and a woman have been treated by their opponents.

As my favourite US radio commentator put it, we're living in an era that is the Weimar Republic on steroids.
I'm not entirely sure of the progression of gay marriage into polygamy if I'm being honest. It might change the 'principles' of marriage, but I'm pretty sure it's still between individual entities. Just being used as a scapegoat.
What's morally right changes from culture to culture, I'm pretty sure polygamy has been practised for centuries elsewhere, but western society can't handle it.

Jurv
11-11-2014, 11:45 AM
it's wrong

wixard
11-11-2014, 11:54 AM
I don't agree with it, if that's how you feel just don't get married?

meh don't know enough about it

lawrawrrr
11-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Just for sort of clarification although I don't have a problem and actively accept polygamous relationships I'm not sure marrying more than 1 person would fit with me. I don't really think of it in those terms because I don't really get on with the idea of marriage at all.

And there's no link with gay marriage lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingJesus
11-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Oops you're right I didn't mean to put polyandry I meant polyamory, basically the same deal but without necessitating marriage contracts. But yeah in essence I don't see how it's somehow more moral to limit how much love you can give and receive than to admit how you feel openly and strive to make sure everyone involved is comfortable with it - if they're not then the relationship doesn't happen just like how any other lifestyle choice can make or break it. I personally don't get how someone can think they're all for one person and then the second they split up are magically able to have feelings again, that seems more like co-dependency than love yet serial monoamory is seen as perfectly normal

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!