PDA

View Full Version : Prostituion

scottish
10-11-2014, 09:04 PM
Another popular debate is on the legality of prostitution

Do you think prostitution should be illegal or made legal?

On the positive side there's:
- Health checks could be required which ensures clients wouldn't be receiving STI/STDs
- It would give employment rights to prostitutes
- It would ensure they are treated properly (i.e. if a prostitute is beaten, they can't go to the police and say their client beat them)
- Would save money from the police having to check up on prostitution

On the negative side there's:
- Promotes sex trafficking
- Would increase the demand in prostitution due to legality

Again, there's loads more points for each but that's just general quick write up so I probably did miss some major ones

I've never really looked into this, so if any point is invalid let me know and I am interested to hear your thoughts on the positive/negative side, and how you think this should be treated.

FlyingJesus
10-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Those negatives aren't real points - sex trafficking would decrease since the entire industry would need to be fully regulated and therefore not be a lucrative underground business any longer (safety of sex workers and lessening of trafficking is actually one of the main points in support of legalising it), and an increase in demand is both an unfounded claim and not a negative if it's made legal and safe.

Other than SEX R BAD there's no real reason to be against legalised and industrialised prostitution.

scottish
10-11-2014, 09:14 PM
like I said it's not something I actually researched or looked anywhere into, so if you feel you could come up with better points for the OP feel free to suggest it to a moderator and they have my permission to change it :P

Landon
27-03-2015, 08:54 PM
This may sound bias, and it may be, so please don't try slamming me.
Prostitution is just sick. Paying for sex is not what we were meant to do.

Paracme
23-05-2015, 09:46 PM
This may sound bias, and it may be, so please don't try slamming me.
Prostitution is just sick. Paying for sex is not what we were meant to do.

Are we not entitled to do whatever we want with our own bodies?

lemons
23-05-2015, 09:49 PM
sure

Aiden
23-05-2015, 09:51 PM
i don't mind really
sometimes i think about being a male one but i don't think i have the physique

Earthquake
02-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Not something that I agree with, it promotes the abuse prostitution brings, and will exploit even further the demand for more females to be trafficked into this dirty sleazy business. There is no good thing to come from legalising this.

Joe
02-06-2015, 02:38 PM
Honestly I wouldn't have that much of a problem with it purely because I wouldn't ever deal with it myself - whether that be being a prostitute or paying for one. Then again, I understand the possible implications of making it legalised, but I struggle to see how legalising something would increase it's negativity. For example, it's human nature (I'm not a psychology student so please don't source me on this or anything) for some to want to do things they're not meant to, for example the smoking of Cannabis in America. I'm sure I read somewhere that abuse has declined rapidly because it's now legal, it's no longer "cool" or "brave". Worse adjectives ever, yes, but I hope you get the point i'm making.

MKR&*42
02-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Legal, I really don't see a huge problem. Your body, your sex life, your decision.

GommeInc
03-06-2015, 06:30 PM
like I said it's not something I actually researched or looked anywhere into, so if you feel you could come up with better points for the OP feel free to suggest it to a moderator and they have my permission to change it :P
I'm the same - I hate putting points up that I don't agree with as you can't really say it with conviction :P

I'm for it. I wouldn't use it but in countries where the industry is alive and well people who do it are well looked after and it slowly erodes at the dangerous underground as why sell the same product in secret when you can make money in a clean, safe environment doing the same thing and openly?

I don't see the number of sex workers increasing as the industry and service itself is very personal and some who are uncomfortable with their body or the actions involved will not go onto sell it for sex when they really do not need to, and with the right regulations in place people will not be used as slaves or doing anything they really do not want to. If you really want to - you will do it. If you're erring on the side of caution you probably won't after being told about it. Either way, you will be assured whether to go down this route and make a good decision.

Firehorse
06-06-2015, 05:31 PM
It's one of those things that happen regardless of whether it is legal or not, so the best option is to legalise it.

By legalising it you are able to regulate the industry, therefore improving the situation for all involved (and even those who aren't involved).

Regulate with regular STI testing and strictly control who is able to work in the industry
Use of condoms could be made a legal requirement in the industry to reduce STI transmission
Massive amounts of tax can be made from the industry which is currently being missed out on
If it's legal you cut down on the illegal trafficking of innocent young girls
Dirty brothels run by trafficking gangs would have competition from regulated premises which would make their illegal business unviable; penalties for using unlicensed premises could be more strictly enforced
Automatically cuts down on blackmail from pimps towards the prostitutes, they would have the freedom to leave the industry if it were legalised and regulated
Creates a new tourist industry similar to that of The Netherlands and Germany, creating a new revenue stream for the country and a stronger economy

Some people may be opposed to it; much like some people are opposed to gay marriage despite it not affecting them personally at all.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!