PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow bin lorry crash

scottish
23-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Can't believe crap about Labour MPs etc have been posted and not proper news like this

Police have released the names of the six people who were killed by an out-of-control bin lorry in Glasgow.

Jack Sweeney, 68, his wife Lorraine, 69, and their 18-year-old granddaughter Erin McQuade, all from Dumbarton, were among the dead.

Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, Stephenie Tait, 29, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, both of Glasgow, also died.

The council bin lorry crashed in George Square after careering from Queen Street at 14:30 on Monday.

Ten other people, including the lorry driver, were injured in the crash.

Police said four casualties were being treated at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. One was in a critical condition, one was serious but stable, one was stable and the other was expected to be discharged later.

A further casualty was in a stable condition at the city's Western Infirmary. A sixth casualty was expected to be discharged later from the Southern General Hospital.

Ch Supt Andy Bates, of Police Scotland, said: "This is a tragic incident which occurred in the heart of Glasgow city centre at a time when people were preparing for the festive season. My thoughts are with the family and friends of those involved.

"My officers will continue to work with partner agencies to investigate the cause of the incident. If anyone has any information that may assist our inquiries please contact Police Scotland.

"I'm also aware that some members of the public may have video or images of the incident and it would be helpful if they could send them to [email protected] A report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal."

More details have emerged about some of the victims and tributes have been paid to them.

Glasgow City Council has announced it is opening an appeal fund for those who were affected by the crash.

The council is donating £20,000 with the Lord Provost's Goodwill Fund and the Scottish government each donating a further £20,000.

The Lord Provost's Queen Street fund will begin taking public donations from Wednesday.

Lord Provost Sadie Docherty said: "We have had tremendous offers of support already. Glaswegians started calling us to offer donations almost as soon as this tragic incident happened.

"That's heart-warming but not surprising in a city which responds so well to tragedy."

Debit and credit card donations can be made by calling 0141 287 7878. Lines will be open Monday to Friday between 08:00 and 20:00 except on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and 1 and 2 January.

Donations can also be made at any bank using Sort Code 834400 and Account Number 10809775.

Anyone in need of support can call a dedicated helpline on 0141 287 0999.

The bodies of the victims were removed from the scene overnight in a fleet of private ambulances.

The square has reopened to traffic and pedestrians but the Christmas lights will remain off until Wednesday.

The Glasgow Loves Christmas attractions, including an ice rink and big wheel, will remain closed until noon on Boxing Day as a mark of respect to the victims.

The council has also opened a book of condolence at the City Chambers, near where the crash happened.

Glasgow City Council leader Gordon Matheson, Lord Provost Sadie Docherty and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon all spoke near the scene on Tuesday morning where hundreds of floral tributes have been placed.

Ms Sturgeon said: "Glasgow this morning is a broken-hearted city. 2014 has been such an incredible year for this wonderful city, the Commonwealth Games were such an outstanding success, but it is a year that has been bookended by two unimaginable tragedies, the Clutha at the end of last year and now this awful tragedy that unfolded here yesterday.

"But Glasgow is a resilient city, we saw last year and we have seen again in the last 24 hours the incredible spirit of the people of Glasgow and this city will pull together to support those who have been affected, not just in the days ahead but in the weeks and months to come."

On Tuesday morning, a service of remembrance for victims of the crash was held at the Church of Scotland's St George's Tron Church, located yards from the crash scene.

Presbytery Clerk and former Moderator Very Rev Bill Hewitt told the service: "We feel for the pain of others in this city."

He added: "We understand something of the burden carried the hearts by those who have lost loved ones, who are concerned for those in hospital, for emergency workers who have been on the frontline in meeting human need and offering themselves."

Roman Catholic Archbishop Philip Tartaglia will say mass for the victims at St Andrew's Cathedral in Glasgow on Wednesday.

The Queen has sent a message of condolence.

She said: "Prince Philip and I were saddened by the news of the tragic accident in Glasgow yesterday.

"Our thoughts and prayers go to the families of those who have lost loved ones and to those who have been injured.

"This sad event is made even more difficult as it comes at Christmas time. I send my condolences to all the people of Glasgow."

An investigation has begun but Police Scotland said there appeared to be nothing "sinister" about the crash.

It is known that the city council lorry struck a pedestrian outside the Gallery of Modern Art then mounted the pavement and travelled hundreds of metres, hitting several others before crashing ino the Millennium Hotel.

Eyewitnesses said the lorry driver had been "slumped over his wheel".

Glasgow City Council confirmed that three employees were in the lorry before the crash.

George Ieronymdis, owner of the Elia Greek Restaurant on George Square, said he had been told that some of the bin lorry's crew were seen jumping from the vehicle and holding their heads in their hands, looking devastated.

A spokesman for the Institute of Traffic Accident Investigators said that vehicles, even large ones, can carry on for a considerable distance if there is an "unintended acceleration", which could be caused by a driver falling ill.

"Without speculating on this incident, there might be a number of causes for a vehicle to travel a considerable distance," he said.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79915000/jpg/_79915683_79909657.jpg

Absolutely terrible, especially for the family who lost 3 members. RIP.

buttons
23-12-2014, 11:07 PM
yeah i did wonder why no-one was talking about it lol
seen people care more about 'free speech' for those making ~jokes~ than actually posting about the tragedy or their condolences for victims and families
terrible news, have to send my thoughts to the driver too who its believed had a heart attack which caused it. as well as the two men in the lorry with him who obviously couldn't have done anything about it.
RIP

-:Undertaker:-
23-12-2014, 11:41 PM
RIP to those involved, especially for the lady who lost both her daughter and two parents all at once. Unthinkable.

yeah i did wonder why no-one was talking about it lol
seen people care more about 'free speech' for those making ~jokes~ than actually posting about the tragedy or their condolences for victims and families
terrible news, have to send my thoughts to the driver too who its believed had a heart attack which caused it. as well as the two men in the lorry with him who obviously couldn't have done anything about it.
RIP

I rarely ever post about tragic events like this because there's so many. Never have, never will. I do notice though however how both yourself and Scot decide to target what i've posted myself or in response, but not the numerous Ukip threads by others about what some obscure candidate has or hasn't said.

Now i'll wait for the inevitable and predictable "OMG how can you say that in a rip thread disrespectful etc", ignoring completely that I never threw the first stone.

buttons
23-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I rarely ever post about tragic events like this because there's so many. Never have, never will. I do notice though however how both yourself and Scot decide to target what i've posted myself or in response, but not the numerous Ukip threads by others about what some obscure candidate has or hasn't said.

Now i'll wait for the inevitable and predictable "OMG how can you say that in a rip thread disrespectful etc", ignoring completely that I never threw the first stone.
what you on about first stone for? no one mentioned you here you fool so take your pish somewhere else, i will say "how can you say that in a rip thread" bc its completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and you should pm or make a thread somewhere else
funny cause i haven't commented on anythin uv said in a while and have agreed w/ you and saw where you're coming from but now you're just being a complete moron

24-12-2014, 12:06 AM
what you on about first stone for? no one mentioned you here you fool so take your pish somewhere else, i will say "how can you say that in a rip thread" bc its completely irrelevant to the topic at hand and you should pm or make a thread somewhere else
funny cause i haven't commented on anythin uv said in a while and have agreed w/ you and saw where you're coming from but now you're just being a complete moron

"Can't believe crap about Labour MPs etc have been posted and not proper news like this"

Scot just above decided to target my Labour threads, despite he himself having made comments about candidatr Kerry Smith. Oh the hypocrisy.

So don't try and play innocent little old me here, I can see right through it.

buttons
24-12-2014, 12:09 AM
Scot just above decided to target my Labour threads, despite he himself having made comments about candidatr Kerry Smith. Oh the hypocrisy.

So don't try and play innocent little old me here, I can see right through it.
i'm not scott u ******* moron so don't quote me with your ********????????
and him talking about labour/ukip (which i don't cause i only comment on your racial rubbish) is nothing to do with this thread or event
so **** out this thread

24-12-2014, 12:12 AM
i'm not scott u ******* moron so don't quote me with your ********????????
and him talking about labour/ukip (which i don't cause i only comment on your racial rubbish) is nothing to do with this thread or event
so **** out this thread

I was about to say I mixed your comments up with the troll thing and say sorry to you (not Scot), but given your attitude + insults you can take a walk missy.

scottish
24-12-2014, 12:20 AM
It's Scott, not Scot.

As much as you love being the pretend victim and taking anything personally, the comment was aimed at the fact the most active threads from what I seen in new posts in Current affairs were regarding 'crap about Labour MPs'.

Now shut the **** up and make a new thread if you want to be a little *****.

24-12-2014, 12:23 AM
It's Scott, not Scot.

As much as you love being the pretend victim and taking anything personally, the comment was aimed at the fact the most active threads from what I seen in new posts in Current affairs were regarding 'crap about Labour MPs'.

Now shut the **** up and make a new thread if you want to be a little *****.

You aimed it at me, why not aim it at MyChemicalRomance who posted a similar thread?

But hey, who cares. Just calling you out on it because you thought you could stick the knife in and score brownie points against me. Caught out mate.

scottish
24-12-2014, 12:25 AM
You aimed it at me, why not aim it at MyChemicalRomance who posted a similar thread?

But hey, who cares. Just calling you out on it because you thought you could stick the knife in and score brownie points against me. Caught out mate.

I didn't aim it at you, I aimed it at any petty thread made by anyone, and anyone replying to those full of arguing.

Are you that paranoid?

Absently
24-12-2014, 01:38 AM
Such a horrible tragedy :( yesterday I could hardly stop myself from crying whilst watching the news. So close to Christmas the poor things. My thoughts are with all those involved in the accident and their families.

scottish
24-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Such a horrible tragedy :( yesterday I could hardly stop myself from crying whilst watching the news. So close to Christmas the poor things. My thoughts are with all those involved in the accident and their families.

Yeah horrible to think that they were all probably finalising Christmas shopping :/

scottish
07-01-2015, 01:00 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30707365

The driver of a council bin lorry that killed six people in Glasgow city centre has left hospital.

The 57-year-old man had been treated at the city's Western Infirmary since the tragedy on Monday 22 December.

A 14-year-old girl, who was among 10 people injured in the tragedy, has also been discharged.

A 64-year-old woman remains in a stable condition at the city's Royal Infirmary. A police report into the crash is due out at the end of January.

Police investigation
Police Scotland said on Tuesday that officers investigating the crash would complete a formal private report by the end of the month.

Justice Secretary Michael Matheson said he expected the Crown Office to outline a timescale for any further investigation by the end of February.

It is for the Lord Advocate, Frank Mulholland, to decide if a Fatal Accident Inquiry (FAI) will be held.

There has been no suggestion at this stage of criminal charges against anyone involved in the accident.

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/79928000/jpg/_79928801_79928799.jpg

(Clockwise from top left) Jack Sweeney, Lorraine Sweener, Erin McQuade, Jacqueline Morton, Stephenie Tait and Gillian Ewing were killed in the crash

Funerals for the six victims have taken place.

A private mass was held for Stephenie Tait, 29, at Saint Thomas the Apostle Church in Riddrie, Glasgow, on Monday.

A service for Erin McQuade, 18, and her grandparents Lorraine, 69, and Jack Sweeney, 68, was held at St Patrick's RC Church in Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, on 3 January.

Services have also been held for tax worker Jacqueline Morton, 51, from Glasgow, and Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh.

Kimmy
07-01-2015, 01:28 PM
My dad works for the council doing the bin lorries and stuff. He only took that week off because I was going up to visit him in Glasgow for Christmas which is a pretty horibble thought.

It's so, so tragic for it to have happened to close to Christmas. Where it happened is so full with flowers and respect. So sad.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!