PDA

View Full Version : Cinema

scottish
04-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Have you ever went to the cinema alone, or would you?

I always look out for the people sitting in the cinema alone now, as there's always guaranteed to be at least one.

I personally would never go alone, I'd rather wait on DVD/Netflix than go to the cinema alone.

MKR&*42
04-01-2015, 11:37 PM
I always go alone (sad when u have nearly no friends irl ikik) I don't see the issue with going alone AT ALL

If you want to go and see a film in a cinema then you shouldn't need to be depending upon someone else just to go imo yikess

welshcake
04-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Some of my friends used to go on their own quite often. I'm not one to actually go to the cinema but if I did, I wouldn't like to go on my own.

Absently
04-01-2015, 11:39 PM
Nah I don't see a problem with going alone and if I really really wanted to see a film id probably go (but I'm not really a die hard fan of anything atm!)

Stephen
04-01-2015, 11:53 PM
always look out for people on their own... rrrrrreally?

i watch films alone on my computer and tbh if I could I'd go watch a film at the cinema alone rather than download some crap cam copy. Although maybe if I ever do go to the cinema alone I guess I should stick my middle finger up for the first 5 minutes just for the people who are looking around for the people sitting alone

scottish
05-01-2015, 12:01 AM
always look out for people on their own... rrrrrreally?

i watch films alone on my computer and tbh if I could I'd go watch a film at the cinema alone rather than download some crap cam copy. Although maybe if I ever do go to the cinema alone I guess I should stick my middle finger up for the first 5 minutes just for the people who are looking around for the people sitting alone

yes I think it was McDonalds; who said she went to cinema alone, and every time I go with buttons; now I look and see if there's any loners ;l

Jurv
05-01-2015, 01:11 AM
oh god no i couldn't! i'd feel so embarrassed and awkward especially cos i like discussing it before and after

Shar
05-01-2015, 01:27 AM
I'd fall asleep if I were to go alone

Chris
05-01-2015, 02:08 PM
I would feel uncomfortable going alone tbh

Neversoft
05-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Yes; I used to have a three hour gap between lectures at Uni, so sometimes I'd go to the cinema while I waited. I saw Johnny English Reborn and The Adventures of Tintin by myself. I've also gone to see numerous plays in my own company. It's quite nice and something I wish I could do more often, but I feel the cinema is far too expensive now to go alone. Years ago, I felt like I could pop in whenever, a few pounds to see a movie - no problem. But now, it's so expensive it's become more of an event; something to do with friends rather than a pastime.

Red
05-01-2015, 04:46 PM
No I wouldn't because at our cinema you end up bumping into half the town so it would jut be awkz

Empired
05-01-2015, 05:00 PM
I've never been alone but definitely would consider it. I know a couple of friends who go to a different sixth form right near a Cineworld and if they have two frees back to back they'll go and see a film. I like the idea but the cinema is quite far away from me plus it's really expensive so I would only go if I was already nearby for some reason.

A
07-01-2015, 09:59 PM
i would not go on my own personally but I have a friend that does, i'd feel so awkward just sat there with no-one to talk too?

Jssy
07-01-2015, 10:11 PM
I've been alone loads cos one time my sister wanted to watch some ****** kids film and I wanted to watch Twilight so I went alone, and I watched Alice in Wonderland alone too, mostly go with others but I would go on my own to watch a film. Probs be going on my own to watch 50 shades of grey

The Don
07-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I used to work at one and sometimes watched a film straight after work. Way more people do it than you would expect.

Mikey
08-01-2015, 12:38 AM
I couldn't do it, would get lonely. :(

Shockwave.2CC
08-01-2015, 02:16 AM
I have

When I was in America last year (December) I went to watch The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 in a cinema room with 318 seats and only 3 were filled and all were people on their own.

But yeah, that's when I went on my own

Empired
08-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Probs be going on my own to watch 50 shades of grey
i'll come with u all of my friends are too embarrassed to see it in cinema xx

Zak
08-01-2015, 03:20 PM
defo never go on my own :P

Alysha
08-01-2015, 04:29 PM
If I ordered tickets online and didn't have to talk to anyone beforehand, I'd go alone, yeah. You're in a dark room then, no one would really care.

Drew
08-01-2015, 04:55 PM
Depends on the type of film for me. I've been to the cinema alone countless of times to watch indie / art house films because I couldn't find anyone who wanted to watch, and most people in the cinema were watching alone anyway. I watch blockbuster / big budget films with friends and family. I actually find going to the cinema alone quite therapeutic :P

I also buy tickets online anyway so it's not overly awkward, although one time I did buy from the counter and the guy sort of sniggered when I told him I'm just buying one ticket lmao

AgnesIO
08-01-2015, 06:16 PM
Never have in the UK before, although did go whilst abroad once when I had a spare afternoon. Good film, didn't need anyone else to enjoy it - and less than £4 for a 3D MASSIVE film? Sure.

Sharon
08-01-2015, 06:56 PM
i think cinema is so over priced especially odeon so only go on occasion, when i first met tom we would go all the time to kill time because we would be in town and it was really expensive to keep doing it

i only go with him, friends or my lil sister and not often at all

geo
08-01-2015, 07:09 PM
thx scott for tagging me. there's no shame though.

yeah, i go alone most of the time. then again, i do a lot of things alone (bc i enjoy being alone for the most part). like last month i went to see ben howard alone lol

i really enjoy watching indie films alone, especially as most of my friends and family aren't into them, so it not only makes sense for me to go alone but it's just kinda fun. if it's a blockbuster movie that's just been released, i often feel a little awkward that i'm being judged by everyone packed into the cinema, but the minute the adverts start i don't care.

being alone gives me time to think for myself and just not worry about much so yh totes recommend going alone. if you're scared or worried you'll be embarrassed, i say just try it out. bc i feel when i go alone it's very different to the times i haven't and i've had a different experience.

AgnesIO
08-01-2015, 09:03 PM
being alone gives me time to think for myself and just not worry about much so yh totes recommend going alone. if you're scared or worried you'll be embarrassed, i say just try it out. bc i feel when i go alone it's very different to the times i haven't and i've had a different experience.

The thing you realise eventually is that - in the vast majority of situations like this - nobody actually cares about you. That sounds rude, but it isn't meant to be. I think people are really self-conscious wondering what people think of them, when in actual fact nobody really cares.

MKR&*42
08-01-2015, 09:15 PM
The thing you realise eventually is that - in the vast majority of situations like this - nobody actually cares about you. That sounds rude, but it isn't meant to be. I think people are really self-conscious wondering what people think of them, when in actual fact nobody really cares.

This reminds me of a quote I came across the other day (I'm going to rephrase it I can't recall the exact words :P): "At 20, you care what everyone thinks. At 30, you stop caring what others think of you. At 50 you realise no-one was thinking about you in the first place."

Obviously ages are flexible but I think it's still a valid/nice quote :P

geo
08-01-2015, 09:50 PM

yeah! i mean, you MIGHT get a few looks from teenagers in groups and people like scott 'spotting the loner' lol but it really doesn't matter. you're all here to watch a film (.....i hope) so no one really cares. it's also much better when you're watching indie films, bc people are coming for the film and it's an older, more mature audience.

but yh, no one gives a **** if you're alone. try it out.

AgnesIO
08-01-2015, 10:23 PM
This reminds me of a quote I came across the other day (I'm going to rephrase it I can't recall the exact words :P): "At 20, you care what everyone thinks. At 30, you stop caring what others think of you. At 50 you realise no-one was thinking about you in the first place."

Obviously ages are flexible but I think it's still a valid/nice quote :P

Yeah, that quote is very true. Don't get me wrong, of course I will sometimes be self-conscious - just I think everyone should actively try not to worry too much, given the above :P

yeah! i mean, you MIGHT get a few looks from teenagers in groups and people like scott 'spotting the loner' lol but it really doesn't matter. you're all here to watch a film (.....i hope) so no one really cares. it's also much better when you're watching indie films, bc people are coming for the film and it's an older, more mature audience.

but yh, no one gives a **** if you're alone. try it out.

Exactly - you might get the occasional look, but you're more likely to get those looks if you feel self-conscious and then start being a bit edgy. The only downside to going alone is having no one to discuss the film with afterwards (I watched "The Imitation Game" recently. Wouldn't have liked not having anyone to talk to about that - but other films don't matter :P).

Empired
08-01-2015, 10:57 PM

It's true. This is one of the first lessons I had to overcome when I was struggling with social anxiety. You have to learn that if you're so busy worrying about what everyone's thinking of you, they're probably worrying about themselves too. If everyone's focusing on themselves, no one is paying any real attention to you. It's the same thinking something like "oh everyone probably thinks I'm such a loser because I'm here alone", how often do you think negative thoughts about complete strangers? Probably hardly ever and even then only if they're being really rude or aggressive or something. Therefore it's unlikely they'll be thinking anything nasty about you either :P

This thread has inspired me to go alone to the cinema x I have the day off from college tomorrow because I don't have a mock exam whilst most other people do. So I'm gonna go and see Annie alone.

Hannah
08-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't rule out going alone, but as I'm not really a fan of movies in the first place - I don't go at all.

I don't see an issue with going alone - if anything movies are a completely anti-social event because you're supposed to watch the film and not talk through it. You're basically being anti-social, socially.

Drew
09-01-2015, 02:37 AM
It's true. This is one of the first lessons I had to overcome when I was struggling with social anxiety. You have to learn that if you're so busy worrying about what everyone's thinking of you, they're probably worrying about themselves too. If everyone's focusing on themselves, no one is paying any real attention to you. It's the same thinking something like "oh everyone probably thinks I'm such a loser because I'm here alone", how often do you think negative thoughts about complete strangers? Probably hardly ever and even then only if they're being really rude or aggressive or something. Therefore it's unlikely they'll be thinking anything nasty about you either :P

This thread has inspired me to go alone to the cinema x I have the day off from college tomorrow because I don't have a mock exam whilst most other people do. So I'm gonna go and see Annie alone.

Good for you!!

Sent from my iPhone

Richie
14-01-2015, 04:46 AM
na ive never been to the cinema alone

if i had a massive 3 hours gap in uni id probs go, maybe not alone tho

xxMATTGxx
01-12-2016, 09:58 PM
I know this will be bumping a thread over a year old but I did read this thread before saying: Fuck it, I want to see the film. Lets go.

I went to the cinema on my own yesterday - Have the week off work and really wanted to watch the Fantastic Beasts film. Like others have mentioned I've always put it off and thought it's one of those things you do with other people. But at times if your friends don't live near you / don't have time to all meet up / other reasons then sometimes you just have to go on your own.

I was some what scared/worried what others would think about me just buying a ticket, getting popcorn and sitting in the screen on my own. But once I was in there those fears went. There was only a handful of people in the screen as it was during the week. What helped as well is that there was a few people also in the same screen that seemed to have been on their own as well. So it wasn't just me - There was a couple of couples too but nothing crazy.

Loved the film (Fantastic Beasts) and also enjoyed the experience on my own.

Would I do it again? Yep.

nat965
25-01-2017, 08:26 PM
I do it all the time! I have friends, but they are mostly busy when I want to go watch a movie or don't want to watch that particular one.

despect
27-01-2017, 05:30 PM
I havent no. I prefer going with other people just for the company.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!