PDA

View Full Version : Media/Home Server

scottish
14-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Do you stream movies across your network? (i.e. use your TV/WDTV/AppleTV/etc to play movies from your Computer/Server)

Do you make use of a home server for it or just your computer?

What software do you use for streaming? (Plex, Serviio, etc)

What other software do you make use of? (e.g. uTorrent, Programs for Subtitles, etc)

Chris
14-01-2015, 09:47 PM
I used to stream from my laptop to my xbox by using Vuze. I stopped doing that once I got Plex on my NowTV box as its so much easier.

Richie
14-01-2015, 09:48 PM
nope
neither
n/a
i always knew you were a little thief, with your torrents.

I might buy a chromecast if you want to count that

Chippiewill
15-01-2015, 12:33 AM
i always knew you were a little thief, with your torrents.
He's clearly downloading Linux Distros.

scottish
15-01-2015, 12:35 AM
He's clearly downloading Linux Distros.

What else would anyone use torrents for? :O

Chippiewill
15-01-2015, 01:06 AM
Drugs.

scottish
15-01-2015, 01:08 AM
New definition of e-cigarettes.

Do you have a home server Jin?

Firehorse
18-01-2015, 11:45 AM
I use Windows Home Server 2011 and Samsung Link to stream content from that to the smart TV.

Other than that the server simply has a ****load of storage (6TB, 3 x 3TB in RAID5) and has certain ports forwarded to be visible on the internet so if I wanted I could host various applications or game servers with it.

Ideal for backing up all the data from every machine on the network additionally to acting as media storage.

xxMATTGxx
18-01-2015, 12:25 PM
I have a home server as such but I've kinda left it dead and not doing anything at all over the past couple of months. I need to start using it again but just don't know what to go with operating system wise.

scottish
18-01-2015, 01:12 PM
I have a home server as such but I've kinda left it dead and not doing anything at all over the past couple of months. I need to start using it again but just don't know what to go with operating system wise.

what did you use it for?

Chippiewill
18-01-2015, 01:22 PM
Other than that the server simply has a ****load of storage (6TB, 3 x 3TB in RAID5) and has certain ports forwarded to be visible on the internet so if I wanted I could host various applications or game servers with it.

FYI RAID5 isn't worth **** these days. The probability that a second drive will fail before you can rebuild the array is stupidly high at this point.

xxMATTGxx
18-01-2015, 01:25 PM
what did you use it for?

Mainly data storage

scottish
18-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Mainly data storage

Have you tried FreeNAS?

I personally use Windows Server 2012 but I don't really see the point as I'm just storing/streaming/torrenting so might look into changing OS in coming days.

I've also got a 120GB SSD sitting about so may as well throw it in too and a few other spare drives.

Firehorse
18-01-2015, 05:53 PM
FYI RAID5 isn't worth **** these days. The probability that a second drive will fail before you can rebuild the array is stupidly high at this point.

Did have some issues with it at the start but that was down to the motherboards I was using being utter crap with RAID5 (Gigabyte boards just aren't worth the hassle, I've always ended up back with Asus boards after Gigabytes have failed me and have never had an issue with Asus boards). For the past year it's worked without any issues and a HDD failure is fairly unlikely as it is, but this does at least provide SOME chance of recovering data if a drive fails.

One of the drives did actually fail at one point, had it replaced under warranty and the Asus board rebuilt the array in about 2 days with no issue.

If I start using it for critical data I'll probably copy everything off it, add another drive to make it a RAID10 and reconfigure it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!