PDA

View Full Version : Organ Donation - Yes or No?

Kimmy
20-01-2015, 06:53 PM
I was speaking about this with my band earlier in college (because we clearly do so much work). There's always been mixed opinions on this topic, and although I'm unsure of my own, what do you think about Organ Donation?

Will you donate when you die? If so, why?
If not, why not?

What do you think about other's reasons of not doing it? Do you think it's selfish?

scottish
20-01-2015, 06:54 PM
No I plan on staying intact and being buried that way.

Kyle
20-01-2015, 07:03 PM
I don't think it's selfish because the organs belong to you and you can do what you want with them and shouldn't be held accountable for the lives of others, especially if you don't know whether they're going to someone who has only knackered their own organs through bad habits!

I have a donor card. I like the idea of my eyes being in someone else's head and being able to live vicariously through them. Could be fun. Read a story about a baby's parents giving up it's kidneys and some other cells which I thought was nice but to impose such a decision on other parents of dead children is imo not very nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyingJesus
20-01-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm an organ donor it cost me about 5 seconds clicking a box when I renewed my car tax so yeah if any of my organs still work when I go feel free to have one

Alysha
20-01-2015, 07:06 PM
I can never understand why people are so possessive over them. You're dead, you have no use for them. I'm all for them, can't say mine would be any use at all though.

October
20-01-2015, 08:55 PM
I can never understand why people are so possessive over them. You're dead, you have no use for them. I'm all for them, can't say mine would be any use at all though.
Your body is the only thing that is ever truly, completely, undeniable and irrevocably yours. You're the only person that gets ownership over your body (that's why it's such a big deal when people assault your person, sexually or physically, because it's against your wish).

Your organs included. They're yours, and you don't owe them to anyone else, as Kyle pointed out above. If memory serves me right, some people refuse donation due to religious concerns, believing that they have to be 'whole' to enter into a divine afterlife or whatnot.

Mikey
20-01-2015, 09:18 PM
I'm a organ donor. I feel if I'm not using them then someone else can. I've read up about it and they treat you with respect and decency so I'm happy.

Alkaz
21-01-2015, 12:17 AM
I think if you would be willing to accept someone else's organs, should you ever need them then you should be willing to give yours should that time come. I'm not currently an organ donor although I would like to become one, one thing I would stipulate is that I wouldn't want my eyes being removed as I find that cringey. They can have anything else.

OldLoveSong
21-01-2015, 12:21 AM
im not an organ donor, id like to stay intact when i die. also i feel like it would be weird/take a toll on my family knowing ive been cut open and other people have my organs and idk its for their sake aswell

lemons
21-01-2015, 12:45 AM
i'm for it! i'm sure it feels good to know you could save someones life by giving someone your organs, one day i will sign up

and i don't care about being buried BURN MEEE

Sian
21-01-2015, 12:33 PM
It is very simple for me. They can have my entire bod . I won't need it I'm dead. For anything they don't want please cremate and throw into the sea.

Reality
21-01-2015, 05:26 PM
If you're willing to give up your organs and someone else of willing to take them I see no point imo that its wrong as you've declared yes.

I understand why some people don't like the idea and I can see why (from previous answers).

I have a donors card and I have would have no problem giving them up after I die if they're still needed or intact.
I guess it all depends on your circumstances and how you feel about it.

Empired
21-01-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm an organ donor. I'll have no need of my organs once I'm dead.

I take the view that if you need an organ, you'd say yes to one in a heartbeat. If you'd be so willing to take them, why are you refusing to give them away? I'd almost say I don't see why you should be allowed to accept organ donations if you're not prepared to give them up yourself.

buttons
21-01-2015, 05:38 PM
organ donors are turning into vegans basically can't accept that people don't share their views
yea I am one but I get real tired of people bashing those who aren't

MKR&*42
21-01-2015, 05:44 PM
I am not an organ donor and thus far I have no plans to be one. It is my body and my choice at the end of the day :P

scottish
21-01-2015, 06:12 PM
I'm an organ donor. I'll have no need of my organs once I'm dead.

I take the view that if you need an organ, you'd say yes to one in a heartbeat. If you'd be so willing to take them, why are you refusing to give them away? I'd almost say I don't see why you should be allowed to accept organ donations if you're not prepared to give them up yourself.

So anyone who's religion prevents them or their own views of needing a full body to enter into afterlife etc should die because their views prevent them from being organ donors?

*REMOVED*

People can become a donor if they want, if they don't want to then they don't want to. Regardless of reasons either way. Saying someone should possibly die because they can't get the organ they need because they're not a donor is idiotic.

Edited by Nick (Assistant Forum Manager): Please don't be rude to others.

buttons
21-01-2015, 06:17 PM
I'm not religious.... but i do have a fear that removing messing with my body might have consequences if there was an afterlife. I don't think my body is simply a physical being but spiritual and if u all wanna donate your organs that's fine but please respect that people have religious/spiritual beliefs.

only organ donor cause I went against my own beliefs for the sake of being ''morally right', considering the way some people act if you're not an organ donor it's like taboo or you're the worst person in the world if u don't lmao

MKR&*42
21-01-2015, 06:21 PM
So anyone who's religion prevents them or their own views of needing a full body to enter into afterlife etc should die because their views prevent them from being organ donors?

*REMOVED*

You're entitled to debate your views, but there's no need for the unnecessarily rude "No, shut the **** up" comment to her...

scottish
21-01-2015, 06:22 PM
You're entitled to debate your views, but there's no need for the unnecessarily rude *REMOVED* comment to her...

there absolutely was

MKR&*42
21-01-2015, 06:23 PM
there absolutely was

No there wasn't. You can retort a point without insulting, once again you feel the need to go to far.

The Don
21-01-2015, 06:32 PM
You're entitled to debate your views, but there's no need for the unnecessarily rude "shut the **** up" comment to her...

I know really, seemed unnecessarily harsh.

I'm not an organ donor, I don't really know how to sign up for it or anything although I don't mind my organs being used after I die. I don't understand why people are so against it, it literally won't matter to you as you're dead... I think we should also use the systems other countries use where if you are an organ donor you receive organ donations (should you unfortunately need one) quicker.

I think I may actually look up how to become one now.

Sharon
21-01-2015, 06:44 PM
no in the nicest way possible they're mine and i want to keep them regardless. i haven't caused any1 to die directly by not giving them up and i have no intention to want to donate them

so so sick of sly people that feel the need to question people's decisions and try to pressure them into feeling like they have to. news shock they don't

ps. this wasn't to anyone in particular in time of posting i hadn't read thread yet however saying i deserve to be left to die if i don't want to donate is not the nicest to hear

Yupt
21-01-2015, 10:19 PM
I love the idea of helping others, I give blood and what not. But I don't think I like the idea of my heart beating in someone else's chest, etc.

Joe
22-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Understand completely why some dislike the idea of their organs being in someone else, but I honestly don't care about what happens to me when I eventually die. I'm not religious so I wont have to be intact for any form of afterlife either, so quite frankly whoever can have whatever they like. We have to remember really, organs can only be used when the patient is young - if I was a heavy smoking 90 year old with lungs that are nearly dead, they won't want to use them.

When I signed up to be an organ donor my mum accepted it but pleaded with me to not check the eyes column - if I were to die young, it'd destroy her if by chance she saw someone with my eyes. Kinda cute. But yeah, if someone gets to live a little longer with the kidneys I no longer need, they're very welcome to it and I hope they enjoy that big extra longer with their families.

Yeah, I'm also a donor for the Anthony Nolan trust, that offers life-changing treatment to patients requiring urgent stem cell donations.

Empired
22-01-2015, 08:17 AM

*REMOVED*

People can become a donor if they want, if they don't want to then they don't want to. Regardless of reasons either way. Saying someone should possibly die because they can't get the organ they need because they're not a donor is idiotic.

Edited by Nick (Assistant Forum Manager): Please don't be rude to others.
Haha

I'm not forcing people to give up their organs and I think I'd agree with what The Don said. If you're not on the organ donors list and you need a new heart, you can have a spare one if they're going but if other people who are on the list need a heart, they should always be given priority. Is that fairer?

buttons
22-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Haha

I'm not forcing people to give up their organs and I think I'd agree with what The Don said. If you're not on the organ donors list and you need a new heart, you can have a spare one if they're going but if other people who are on the list need a heart, they should always be given priority. Is that fairer?
say you're an organ donor but u drink, smoke and eat fatty foods, destroying them before anyone could get a chance to use it, should they be allowed to get organs when they've ruined a chance of someone else getting them just cause they've said they'll donate them?

Kyle
22-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Organ donation should not be complicated by some moral imposition to have to give up what belongs to you. Jehovah's Witnesses choose not to give blood, if they suddenly have a change of heart and choose to adapt their religion to suit their need to stay alive should we deny them a blood transfusion? I don't believe so.

The Don
22-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Organ donation should not be complicated by some moral imposition to have to give up what belongs to you. Jehovah's Witnesses choose not to give blood, if they suddenly have a change of heart and choose to adapt their religion to suit their need to stay alive should we deny them a blood transfusion? I don't believe so.

Should a non-donor receive a heart over/before somebody that would be willing to donate theirs?

Kyle
22-01-2015, 12:22 PM
Should a non-donor receive a heart over/before somebody that would be willing to donate theirs?
Yes. It's not a transaction, it's a donation. We don't give to charities that support those that are worse off in anticipation of them paying it forward should they ever get out of their predicament, we do so because we want to help. I just don't quite understand how being willing to give up your own organs automatically qualifies you as a more worthy recipient of somebody else's.

The Don
22-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Yes. It's not a transaction, it's a donation. We don't give to charities that support those that are worse off in anticipation of them paying it forward should they ever get out of their predicament, we do so because we want to help. I just don't quite understand how being willing to give up your own organs automatically qualifies you as a more worthy recipient of somebody else's.

There's an incredibly long waiting list for organs due to people receiving them but not giving them in return. Introducing either a opt-out system or giving priority to donors will greatly increase the amount of organs donated and will lower the number of people dying before they were able to receive a transplant.

scottish
22-01-2015, 03:25 PM
There's an incredibly long waiting list for organs due to people receiving them but not giving them in return. Introducing either a opt-out system or giving priority to donors will greatly increase the amount of organs donated and will lower the number of people dying before they were able to receive a transplant.

No it wouldn't, it would just mean that those who are dying are people who opted not to give organs and the people who are living are those who opted to give organs.

The Don
22-01-2015, 03:32 PM
No it wouldn't, it would just mean that those who are dying are people who opted not to give organs and the people who are living are those who opted to give organs.

You are wrong as it would increase donor numbers as more people would opt in. More people as donors = more people receiving organs = less people dying before they receive their transplants.

scottish
22-01-2015, 03:38 PM
You are wrong as it would increase donor numbers as more people would opt in. More people as donors = more people receiving organs = less people dying before they receive their transplants.

Says who? do you have statistics on the number of people who would opt in to take advantage of this? no.

If you argue so hard against using speculation in other debates then don't come into this one and speculate something like that, unless you have something to back it up you have nothing but a theory.

Most people probably become organ donors due to driving license these days anyway.

also, on the topic if you were to be hospitalized today would you say "no give the organ to the guy next to me, I'm not on the donation list yet"? I'm sure as hell you wouldn't.

The Don
22-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Says who? do you have statistics on the number of people who would opt in to take advantage of this? no.

If you argue so hard against using speculation in other debates then don't come into this one and speculate something like that, unless you have something to back it up you have nothing but a theory.

also, on the topic if you were to be hospitalized today would you say "no give the organ to the guy next to me, I'm not on the donation list yet"? I'm sure as hell you wouldn't.
http://tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/164976/israel-organ-donation
http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/to2020/resources/OrgansfortransplantsTheOrganDonorTaskForce1strepor t.pdf

For most of the 2000s, Israel’s hovered around 45 percent—among the lowest in the developed world.
Today, however, Israel’s consent rates have jumped, to 56 percent in 2013
http://freakonomics.com/2011/08/23/pay-to-play-should-registered-organ-donors-get-priority-as-recipients-the-organ-donor-games/
I don't make baseless posts, I actually research things before I enter into the debate as opposed to your favoured method of insulting and swearing at people I disagree with. Not posting links doesn't automatically make something an assumption.

You can look at the statistics for yourself, countries with opt-out systems (which I mentioned in my post and would be preferable to the one you've decided to comment on) have way better statistics than countries with opt-ins. Israel's donation rates jumped after implementing a priority system. Common sense also suggests it would increase.

Most people probably become organ donors due to driving license these days anyway.

The irony of you telling me off for "making assumptions" and doing so in the same breath. The UK has about 21 million people on the NHS donors list, so not most by a long shot.
Here's a source before you write my post off for not having one. (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Organ-donation/Pages/Introduction.aspx)

buttons
22-01-2015, 04:13 PM
guys if u want to be an organ donor, do you only want your organs to go to someone who would donate theirs? the point is to save a life, not to pick and choose who gets it. being an organ donator doesn't mean you deserve to live and vice versa. im sure you'd all agree that a woman has a right to abort a baby but people can't accept that people have the right to choose what happens to their body after death.

its is exactly what I said in my other thread, you all have some sort of inability to see your view isn't the only one and are so intolerant of other people beliefs.

The Don
22-01-2015, 04:21 PM
guys if u want to be an organ donor, do you only want your organs to go to someone who would donate theirs? the point is to save a life, not to pick and choose who gets it. being an organ donator doesn't mean you deserve to live and vice versa. im sure you'd all agree that a woman has a right to abort a baby but people can't accept that people have the right to choose what happens to their body after death.

I'm not saying people not on the list should be refused.

its is exactly what I said in my other thread, you all have some sort of inability to see your view isn't the only one and are so intolerant of other people beliefs.
What, where have I or anyone said that someones opinion is wrong? I called scott wrong when he argued something factual. This is a debate thread so obviously everyone is going to be challenging each others views... Surely the only person being intolerant here is Scott for swearing at people he disagrees with.

buttons
22-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm not saying people not on the list should be refused.

What, where have I or anyone said that someones opinion is wrong? I called scott wrong when he argued something factual. This is a debate thread so obviously everyone is going to be challenging each others views... Surely the only person being intolerant here Scott for swearing at people when he disagrees with them.
to your first point, it has been said in this thread.
your second point i made no mention of names, i said all, which would include scott. but if u haven't noticed, you and other people said "I don't know why anyone wouldn't, you're dead it doesn't matter" despite the fact some of us have given our reasons but u chose to ignore them, erasing how we feel cause you personally don't understand it.

The Don
22-01-2015, 04:29 PM
to your first point, it has been said in this thread.
your second point i made no mention of names, i said all, which would include scott. but if u haven't noticed, you and other people said "I don't know why anyone wouldn't, you're dead it doesn't matter" despite the fact some of us have given our reasons but u chose to ignore them, erasing how we feel cause you personally don't understand it.

Not understanding something isn't the same as not tolerating it. I accept that you don't want to for whatever reason but I myself cannot understand it. If i quoted you and attacked your reasons then fair enough, but posting that I don't understand something is being intolerant, really?

scottish
22-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Not understanding something isn't the same as not tolerating it. I accept that you don't want to for whatever reason but I myself cannot understand it. If i quoted you and attacked your reasons then fair enough, but posting that I don't understand something is being intolerant, really?

You just proved the point you read absolutely nothing before jumping into a thread lol.

She's quite clearly stated she IS an organ donor.

The Don
22-01-2015, 04:32 PM
You just proved the point you read absolutely nothing before jumping into a thread lol.

She's quite clearly stated she IS an organ donor.

Pardon? Read her post and my post back, then apologise.

scottish
22-01-2015, 04:34 PM
"I accept that you don't want to for whatever reason but I myself cannot understand it."

"organ donors are turning into vegans basically can't accept that people don't share their views
yea I am one but I get real tired of people bashing those who aren't"

Get a grip.

buttons
22-01-2015, 04:37 PM
im a donor. ive said it twice already in this thread. i'm a donor because people like you and others in this thread make me feel like im a terrible person for not doing it.
you say you can't understand it but people on here have given:

religious/spiritual reasons
family reasons
because they simply feel uncomfortable with it

saying you don't understand it when people have given their reasons is intolerant imo. i understand why people don't want to do it because of religious reasons despite the fact im not religious myself? that's what i mean by people being unaccepting of others beliefs.

The Don
22-01-2015, 04:38 PM
"I accept that you don't want to for whatever reason but I myself cannot understand it."

"organ donors are turning into vegans basically can't accept that people don't share their views
yea I am one but I get real tired of people bashing those who aren't"

Get a grip.

Clearly you've never heard of talking in a general sense.

The Don
22-01-2015, 04:53 PM
im a donor. ive said it twice already in this thread. i'm a donor because people like you and others in this thread make me feel like im a terrible person for not doing it.

Made you feel terrible how? By not understanding the thought that people care about their organs after death despite the fact that I haven’t commented judging people for said belief?

you say you can't understand it but people on here have given:

religious/spiritual reasons
family reasons
because they simply feel uncomfortable with it

Yes, I’ve read their reasons and still don’t understand them. I understand the religious ones but I don’t understand why somebody would feel uncomfortable about somebody else being given their heart after they’ve died, that doesn’t mean I don’t respect their opinion or think they’re bad people for having it. Nor do I think they shouldn’t be allowed to express their opinions or that they should be forced to donate their organs after they die.

saying you don't understand it when people have given their reasons is intolerant imo. i understand why people don't want to do it because of religious reasons despite the fact im not religious myself? that's what i mean by people being unaccepting of others beliefs.

I view intolerance as not respecting beliefs that differ from yours. Not understanding or disagreeing with something doesn’t mean I don’t respect it. The only person who has shown intolerance in this thread is Scott.

What's the point of having a debates section if you can't question somebody's opinion? Like you've said before a lot is lost through text so maybe you've interpreted something as being said maliciously when that's not how I meant it. Either way I don't think people are bad for not wanting to give away their organs.

buttons
22-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Made you feel terrible how? By not understanding the thought that people care about their organs after death despite the fact that I haven’t commented judging people for said belief?

Yes, I’ve read their reasons and still don’t understand them. I understand the religious ones but I don’t understand why somebody would feel uncomfortable about somebody else being given their heart after they’ve died, that doesn’t mean I don’t respect their opinion or think they’re bad people for having it. Nor do I think they shouldn’t be allowed to express their opinions or that they should be forced to donate their organs after they die.
i was saying it about everyone in the thread suggesting that people who donate deserve organs more than me who doesn't want to. you took it personally as though i was only talking about you. i would call these intolerant:

I think if you would be willing to accept someone else's organs, should you ever need them then you should be willing to give yours should that time come

i called these intolerant because it's saying if you do not donate you do not deserve priority to live despite the fact we have given valid reasons for not wanting to donate. it feels ****.

you said yourself:

then should a registered donor who has smoked and ate their organs to death deserve an organ over someone not registered to donate, who got into an accident and desperately needs to live? it's not as black and white as that. say your family member gonna die and they're not a registered donor and the doctor puts priority over a chain smoking alcoholic then yeah let me see your views then.

What's the point of having a debates section if you can't question somebody's opinion? Like you've said before a lot is lost through text so maybe you've interpreted something as being said maliciously when that's not how I meant it. Either way I don't think people are bad for not wanting to give away their organs.
i'm debating if you haven't noticed. i made a comment about MANY OTHERS IN THE THREAD being intolerant (eg my above examples). you picked my post and took it personally.

but don't worry guys. i've now filled out a form to opt out.

The Don
22-01-2015, 05:40 PM
i was saying it about everyone in the thread suggesting that people who donate deserve organs more than me who doesn't want to. you took it personally as though i was only talking about you. i would call these intolerant:

You said “because people like you and others in this thread make me feel like im a terrible person” so I was asking how I made you feel terrible…

you said yourself “Should a non-donor receive a heart over/before somebody that would be willing to donate theirs?”

Playing Devil’s Advocate to Kyle, yes…

then should a registered donor who has smoked and ate their organs to death deserve an organ over someone not registered to donate, who got into an accident and desperately needs to live? it's not as black and white as that.

Of course it’s not black and white, nobody said it was. The idea of prioritizing registered donors is so that more people sign up as donors. The better idea would be an opt out system which I said before.

i'm debating if you haven't noticed. i made a comment about MANY OTHERS IN THE THREAD being intolerant (eg my above examples).
I didn’t see you say a word to your boyfriend when he was incredibly rude to someone else because of their views earlier but because other people have made you feel bad by expressing their views you’re suddenly giving lessons of morality to people. You didn’t seem to care about it earlier when other people (empired) were made to feel bad yet suddenly you do now that the shoe is on the other foot.

you picked my post and took it personally.

I replied to your post because only Me, Kyle and Scott had made posts since your previous post before it so obviously some of it was aimed at one of us. Turns out some of it was aimed at me so my assumption was correct.

but don't worry guys. i've now filled out a form to opt out. [/INDENT]
[/LIST]
Why would I care lol? I’m not a donor myself.

buttons
22-01-2015, 05:47 PM
You said “because people like you and others in this thread make me feel like im a terrible person” so I was asking how I made you feel terrible…
oh jesus. people LIKE you. people who say those who donate deserve donations more than those who haven't registered. aka people irl too. like the woman sitting next to me asking me to donate and judging me when i hesitated. hence why i'm a donor. but not for long.

Of course it’s not black and white, nobody said it was. The idea of prioritizing registered donors is so that more people sign up as donors. The better idea would be an opt out system which I said before.
sounds a bit abusive "give your organs or you don't get any".

I didn’t see you say a word to your boyfriend when he was incredibly rude to someone else because of their views earlier but because other people have made you feel bad by expressing their views you’re suddenly giving lessons of morality to people. You didn’t seem to care about it earlier when other people (empired) were made to feel bad yet suddenly you do now that the shoe is on the other foot.
oh god ****. i disagree with scott on MANY things but i am not his mother. he can say what he wants and i'm not here to give him a row. i'm here to debate with YOU and other people in this thread. you've got nothing else to say to my posts so you have to make it personal and try to invalidate my posts because i so happen to agree with my boyfriend? when i disagree with him no one has a problem lmao! don't take my relationship with scott in to this because it has NOTHING to do with what i'm posting. if that's the best you can do then i am not 'debating' with you.
like i already said in my previous post, when i called people intolerant i said it went for scott as well.
you have no idea how much times i've told scott he's being rude, intolerant and needs to stop. i just do it privately. he is not my pet or son.

I replied to your post because only Me, Kyle and Scott had made posts since your previous post before it so obviously some of it was aimed at one of us. Turns out some of it was aimed at me so my assumption was correct.
and i realised a new argument to which i replied to the thread. i said guys there too, which suggests i'm talking to many (and it included scott actually! as i already said!) not just you.

Why would I care lol? I’m not a donor myself.
not everything is about you. i said GUYS. not akeam.

The Don
22-01-2015, 06:11 PM
oh jesus. people LIKE you. people who say those who donate deserve donations more than those who haven't registered. aka people irl too. like the woman sitting next to me asking me to donate and judging me when i hesitated. hence why i'm a donor. but not for long.

I haven’t judged anyone in this thread for not donating organs. I’m not a donor myself. Blaming me, or people like me, for you feeling bad isn’t fair. This is a debate thread about organ donations for crying out loud, if you don’t want people from the other side of the spectrum to voice their opinions then don’t read the thread.

sounds a bit abusive "give your organs or you don't get any".
Nope, didn’t say don’t give any to non-donors.

oh god ****. i disagree with scott on MANY things but i am not his mother. he can say what he wants and i'm not here to give him a row. i'm here to debate with YOU and other people in this thread.

If you felt so strongly about intolerance then surely you would’ve said something, right?

you've got nothing else to say to my posts so you have to make it personal and try to invalidate my posts because i so happen to agree with my boyfriend?
Aside from all the other paragraphs I’ve been writing?

when i disagree with him no one has a problem lmao! don't take my relationship with scott in to this because it has NOTHING to do with what i'm posting. if that's the best you can do then i am not 'debating' with you.
like i already said in my previous post, when i called people intolerant i said it went for scott as well.

I’m not making it a point about your relationship with Scott, I’m making a point about your HYPOCRISY. You complain about ‘intolerance’ when people disagree with you yet don’t even bat an eyelid when there’s extreme intolerance coming from your side of the argument.

not everything is about you. i said GUYS. not akeam.

Obviously it wasn’t just at me but I’m not psychic, if you don’t address people how am I meant to know who you’re referring to? I'm also perfectly entitled to respond to points that aren't necessarily addressed to me.

buttons
22-01-2015, 06:21 PM
i said to him irl "scott stop being intolerant of other people's views. if you want to debate someone do it without swearing or no one will take you seriously". in fact i constantly ask him irl/skype to please leave things because he's being rude. i've got +reps for talking out against him. i've give him -rep. i said in this thread everyone was being intolerant (eg both sides). i'm my own person with my own views and i don't need to publicly tell him off.

i'm finished debating when my posts are going to be invalidated because "i didn't tell my boyfriend off" (even though i did both publicly and privately). scottish; you are free to do what you want now. i'll no longer tell you off privately or publicly.

The Don
22-01-2015, 06:37 PM
i said to him irl "scott stop being intolerant of other people's views. if you want to debate someone do it without swearing or no one will take you seriously". in fact i constantly ask him irl/skype to please leave things because he's being rude. i've got +reps for talking out against him. i've give him -rep. i said in this thread everyone was being intolerant (eg both sides). i'm my own person with my own views and i don't need to publicly tell him off.

i'm finished debating when my posts are going to be invalidated because "i didn't tell my boyfriend off" (even though i did both publicly and privately). scottish; you are free to do what you want now. i'll no longer tell you off privately or publicly.

I apologise for not being omniscient. I hear, I know. I see, I remember and all that jazz. All I can comment on is what I see and in this thread you appeared hypocritical by calling out people for intolerance/not accepting other opinions when views contrary to your own were being expressed but not before. Either way whatever, I’ve said what I had to say.

FlyingJesus
22-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Making distinctions between donors and non-donors with regards to transplant list position wouldn't work since becoming a donor only takes a minute online and could be done on the way to the hospital then undone once the operation's gone ahead :P and wow people sure do love getting angry over eyeballs

The Don
22-01-2015, 09:33 PM
Making distinctions between donors and non-donors with regards to transplant list position wouldn't work since becoming a donor only takes a minute online and could be done on the way to the hospital then undone once the operation's gone ahead :P and wow people sure do love getting angry over eyeballs

Very true, should just make it opt out and everybody's a winner.

Empired
22-01-2015, 10:15 PM
it's ok everyone i'm a big girl, to be honest i wasn't even aware i was supposed to be upset by scott's comments until other people started discussing how i must be feeling. hell, I didn't even read what he said before it was edited so i didn't even have anything to react to.

his comments probably weren't the best way to handle the situation but hey this is the internet and we're discussing a touchy subject; topics like this are bound to touch a nerve for some people and they'll lash out in response.

and just to clarify: i was simply stating my belief about organ donation. my opinion is completely irrelevant anyway as currently everyone who needs an organ- regardless of whether or not they're a donator- is put on the waiting list and has to wait the same amount of time as anyone else. i don't want my beliefs to make anyone else feel bad about themselves but that won't stop me posting my opinion in the Debates section. for god's sake, debates wouldn't exist if you could only make comments that everyone agrees with. controversy is good in debates.

Alysha
22-01-2015, 10:19 PM
I think they're actually making it so you have to opt out rather than in, are they not?

FlyingJesus
22-01-2015, 10:21 PM
They are at some point, it was announced last year or possibly even before but doesn't seem to have gone ahead yet

Kyle
22-01-2015, 10:24 PM
What I think needs to be made clear here is that any perceived intolerance to the beliefs presented in posts in debate threads isn't necessarily representative of what the poster actually thinks; some people just like to keep debates alive with fresh ideas and critical thinking! The unwillingness to shift from personal standpoints is certainly apparent in many debates and discussions but I don't personally see it here. Points have been put across, expanded on (by some), and defended with sound argument - as is (but in reality usually isn't, sadly) customary in this section and in proper debates in general. A line of thought I feel like anybody entering a debate should adopt is one that the old maxim from writings about Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Less hostility and sensitivity, more rational argument. plz.

In response to the first point about donors having priority over non-donors, it's already been clearly outlined that it's simply not fair. Naturally it's going to piss some people off that the organs of their relatives may go to people who in their view don't deserve them but the fact is that it's just that - their view. Akeam has already apologised for not being omniscient and I'm relatively certain (though their hxf usernames or general attitudes might imply otherwise :P) nobody else is either, so why should any of us be allowed to govern who should or shouldn't have donated organs? They belong to us and should belong to us until we choose to give them up.

Though the opt-out system may well be effective in reducing fatality it still seems to me to be quite contentious. State ownership of the NHS is one thing, but ownership of our bodies? Isn't that a tad too far? There are all sorts of issues that could crop up where the individual might not have even been aware that they needed to opt out or how to do it or their family might disagree with their decision. At least if it's opt in we know exactly what we're getting, who's willing to give and who wants their organs for themselves.

fyi the opt out system is to be set in motion in wales this year.

karter
04-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Your body is the only thing that is ever truly, completely, undeniable and irrevocably yours. You're the only person that gets ownership over your body (that's why it's such a big deal when people assault your person, sexually or physically, because it's against your wish).

Your organs included. They're yours, and you don't owe them to anyone else, as Kyle pointed out above. If memory serves me right, some people refuse donation due to religious concerns, believing that they have to be 'whole' to enter into a divine afterlife or whatnot.

Such an arbitrary criteria to reason this imo..

Ownership is hardly significant if you're dead though.

Bobozia
04-03-2015, 03:45 PM
I think organ donation is something one should be signed up for, that is assuming there is no reason why not; such as religious concerns / poor health. Other than this however, once you are dead, at the end of the day - unless you have suitable reasons - you no longer need them. I see no reason why you should not help others who are in need.
Coming from a medical background, there is nothing more demoralising for a doctor/medical personnel when someone's life could be saved with another person's organ but none are available, or match. If more people were signed up to donate organ's, those who can not be saved themselves, can still indirectly help save someone else's life.
As has been aforementioned, an opt-out system should be in place, world-wide. It already is in Wales and should be spread further.

God
13-03-2015, 06:28 PM
I think organ donation is something one should be signed up for, that is assuming there is no reason why not; such as religious concerns / poor health. Other than this however, once you are dead, at the end of the day - unless you have suitable reasons - you no longer need them. I see no reason why you should not help others who are in need.
Coming from a medical background, there is nothing more demoralising for a doctor/medical personnel when someone's life could be saved with another person's organ but none are available, or match. If more people were signed up to donate organ's, those who can not be saved themselves, can still indirectly help save someone else's life.
As has been aforementioned, an opt-out system should be in place, world-wide. It already is in Wales and should be spread further.

I highly agree with this, I will be putting myself on the donor list next time I renew my health card. I know the Health Minister here in Nova Scotia, Canada had plans on bringing in an Opt-out system, and I hope it comes to fruition.

Chippiewill
13-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Yes, but I'm far too lazy to put myself on a register.

Bobozia
14-03-2015, 10:31 PM
Yes, but I'm far too lazy to put myself on a register.

Thisis exactly why I suggested an opt out system all over the world.

Narnat,
15-03-2015, 06:21 PM
I am signed up as an organ donar for all of my organs I won't need them when I'm dead so may as well get used and help someone else!

-paul.
19-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Let's say the majority of people on this forum are under 25. It is believed that in our life time Bionic technology will be so advanced that a bionic heart could be put into someone and they could live forever. So although I believe in organ Donation and I think people should should sign up, I think a time will come soon that there will not be a need for it.

lRhyss
20-03-2015, 03:32 PM

You don't own you body when you're dead, you don't have conscious thought, you're a shell. So if some person is dying in hospital, needed an organ, none are available for them and you've just passed and have the right match for her, you're going to deprive her of life just because?

Religion shouldn't play a factor in it either. It shouldn't be used as a playing card in any situation that involves life and death.

I'm on the register, because personally I think it's the right thing to do, if someone needs one of my organs to continue to live, I'm not going to deprive them of that.

Cody
22-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Nope.

dbgtz
22-03-2015, 06:35 PM
You don't own you body when you're dead, you don't have conscious thought, you're a shell. So if some person is dying in hospital, needed an organ, none are available for them and you've just passed and have the right match for her, you're going to deprive her of life just because?

Religion shouldn't play a factor in it either. It shouldn't be used as a playing card in any situation that involves life and death.

I'm on the register, because personally I think it's the right thing to do, if someone needs one of my organs to continue to live, I'm not going to deprive them of that.

It's unfortunate how much impact and influence religion still has in just about everything.

Oddy
29-04-2015, 05:19 AM
Well, i have grown up in a home where both my parents are doctors, seen allot of things where stuff has gone wrong over the years. all my older sisters and my parents are organ donors, and im planning to become one when im old enough. I wont be in need of them when i'm dead. And the last thing i would in life/after life would be saving somene.

Becca
30-04-2015, 04:50 PM
i'm an organ donor, not gonna use my body when i die really
i wouldn't argue that it's selfish to people who don't want to, it's just a personal preference
i enjoy giving blood etc the thought of helping someone makes me feel more about my horrific life so if you wanna kill yourself go give blood you will feel much better about yourself

Aiden
30-04-2015, 05:32 PM
I wouldn't donate my organs. I'm not actually sure if there's a reason, it just never seemed like something I would do. I don't have anything against it for others.

Earthquake
03-05-2015, 12:09 PM
considering I want to be burned to ash when I die I don't see why not? depending they know for sure i'm dead.

Nick
03-05-2015, 12:10 PM
uhm I don't plan on doing it but it seems only logical in a way since you aren't using them? I don't think i would though

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!