PDA

View Full Version : ASMR

Lewis
01-02-2015, 12:57 AM
I'm curious if any of you ever get ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) and if so how and when?

Whenever I'm listening to specific parts of sad music or sad scenes from a movie/game/whatever, it does not only have a great impact on how I feel but I also end up having an ASMR feeling.

What about you?

Martin
01-02-2015, 01:03 AM
Whenever I'm listening to specific parts of sad music or sad scenes from a movie/game/whatever, it does not only have a great impact on how I feel but I also end up having an ASMR feeling.

I'm curious if any of you ever get ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) and if so how and when?

How weird that you post this whilst I'm watching ASMR videos on youtube :P

I get tingles! I've been watching the videos on youtube for quite a while now (there's millions) and find they really help me to relax at night just before bed. :)

Ms.Aquamarine
01-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Think I had that the first time watchin' Titanic. Seeing all those people dying and Rose saying to Jack she'll never let go.:'(

FlyingJesus
01-02-2015, 01:04 AM
Yeah not always from like the same bit of music or whatever so I can't just be like oh I'll stick on No More Moments and that'll do it but it does happen every now and then. It's meant to be something that affects your mood but personally I find it's more something that is affected by it, so if I'm feeling fab it's more likely to happen

Jurv
01-02-2015, 01:05 AM
i ended up coming across them a while ago and considered it as being the weird part of youtube

there were vids of people eating fried chicken into a microphone! aint got time for that

edit: oh thought you were talking about the actual videos. i've never experienced an asmr feeling i dont think

Lewis
01-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Think I had that the first time watchin' Titanic. Seeing all those people dying and Rose saying to Jack she'll never let go.:'(

That might be one of the first times I can recall too now that you mention it.

Others include many other sad scenes from movies and games, such as death scenes, but without the music in most of them it doesn't really happen. Many songs alone, especially those by Johnny Cash, can also trigger it for me :P.

- - - Updated - - -

i ended up coming across them a while ago and considered it as being the weird part of youtube

there were vids of people eating fried chicken into a microphone! aint got time for that

Yeah, none of the videos work for me, all of them seem rather strange. The only thing that works for me is what I mentioned in my post.

Matt
01-02-2015, 03:37 AM
Ok I had to Google this but I'm still not even sure what it is. Is it where you get goosebumps and go all tingly??!?! I'll reply if it's like that (assuming goosebumps and ASMR are sort of the same).

I think I get this quite a bit. The only time I think it happens a lot (I know this is cheesy) is when I'm watching shows like Xfactor or The Voice and someone sings a really emotional song and they're really good and all the judges just sit there in shock and awe. If it's quite sad or emotional yeah it will make me feel all tingly. I generally get it up my spine and on my arms/legs (maybe it's just goosebumps idk). There is a tingly sensation too though.

OldLoveSong
01-02-2015, 04:04 AM
i always listen to ASMR hair brushing and whispering on youtube to help me relax before bed and usually fall asleep to it

Empired
02-02-2015, 04:44 PM
I get that when I'm listening to music. Never thought anything of it before and never assumed there was a fancy term for it :P

Inseriousity.
02-02-2015, 04:46 PM
ive seen the virtual haircut before and got tingles from that. didnt know there was a name for it til martin pointed it out so ive started to watch them. i do tend to listen to them but some of them are weird lmao never seen the chicken thing before though haha

welshcake
02-02-2015, 05:45 PM
I always watch ASMR videos. It's like an addiction now. I've watched them for years and years.

I get tingles from people talking more than anything.

benzoberzerk
02-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Yeah not always from like the same bit of music or whatever so I can't just be like oh I'll stick on No More Moments and that'll do it but it does happen every now and then. It's meant to be something that affects your mood but personally I find it's more something that is affected by it, so if I'm feeling fab it's more likely to happen

That doesn't sound like ASMR. Sounds more like frisson (http://www.reddit.com/r/frisson).

"What is Frisson?

Have you ever felt a sudden, passing sensation of excitement, a shudder of emotion from an epic moment of a song, or a climax of a movie? That is what is called "frisson", a word rooted from the French word meaning "Goosebumps" or "Shiver". It has been linked to rises in dopamine levels which is, in turn, linked to your outlook towards others."

That might be one of the first times I can recall too now that you mention it.

Others include many other sad scenes from movies and games, such as death scenes, but without the music in most of them it doesn't really happen. Many songs alone, especially those by Johnny Cash, can also trigger it for me :P.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, none of the videos work for me, all of them seem rather strange. The only thing that works for me is what I mentioned in my post.

Yeah, definitely not ASMR. ASMR is a very specific, physical sensation triggered by sounds.

"Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs"

This is one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kerASkTeEZ0&feature=youtu.be

Lewis
02-02-2015, 08:35 PM
That doesn't sound like ASMR. Sounds more like frisson (http://www.reddit.com/r/frisson).

"What is Frisson?

Have you ever felt a sudden, passing sensation of excitement, a shudder of emotion from an epic moment of a song, or a climax of a movie? That is what is called "frisson", a word rooted from the French word meaning "Goosebumps" or "Shiver". It has been linked to rises in dopamine levels which is, in turn, linked to your outlook towards others."

Yeah, definitely not ASMR. ASMR is a very specific, physical sensation triggered by sounds.

"Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a physical sensation characterized by a pleasurable tingling that typically begins in the head and scalp, and often moves down the spine and through the limbs"

This is one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kerASkTeEZ0&feature=youtu.be

edit: didn't see what you mentioned about frisson, it could be that but it's definitely still the same ASMR feeling and the definition of ASMR describes what I feel a lot better than the frisson definition.

benzoberzerk
02-02-2015, 09:00 PM
edit: didn't see what you mentioned about frisson, it could be that but it's definitely still the same ASMR feeling and the definition of ASMR describes what I feel a lot better than the frisson definition.

You wouldn't know that if you haven't experienced actual ASMR though :p You should check out the top posts on the frisson subreddit i linked, it's filled with stuff similar to what you described. ASMR is not connected to emotions. You don't get ASMR from viewing or hearing something sad. It's a physical reaction to hearing triggering sounds. It's a very pleasant and relaxing feeling.

Empired
02-02-2015, 09:11 PM
I've spent an hour watching some ASMR videos and I felt nothing tingly or anything, but it made me fall asleep eventually!

Lewis
02-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Here's a clip I get ASMR from (or frisson), this dream sequence from The Walking Dead game. You'll only really get it if you've been following the storyline of season one and two up to this point, well if you get it at all. Without knowing the storyline itself, it'll probably just seem meaningless to you. It's mainly three parts of it - the beginning, around the bit where he says "even if that means hurting somebody else" and around the bit "that you won't leave me"

Spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kRezCdS5F4

velvet
09-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Here's a clip I get ASMR from (or frisson), this dream sequence from The Walking Dead game. You'll only really get it if you've been following the storyline of season one and two up to this point, well if you get it at all. Without knowing the storyline itself, it'll probably just seem meaningless to you. It's mainly three parts of it - the beginning, around the bit where he says "even if that means hurting somebody else" and around the bit "that you won't leave me"

Spoilers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kRezCdS5F4

deffo not asmr if you need to know the story lol, that's an emotional response / frisson as @benzoberzerk (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=114929) said

i get asmr but didn't know what it was or that it was even a thing before a friend pointed it out to me, can't say i watch videos for it regularly though, only when really stressed.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!