PDA

View Full Version : Should vs. Want

Phil
05-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Hey guys,

So yh idk what to call this thread but I have a bit of a predicament. I had an interview last week for a place called Ashford Castle (www.ashfordcastle.com) and was called back for a second interview which is tomorrow morning. The HR Manager came to my college for the interviews but tomorrow I actually have to go up to the hotel.

This place is 5 star, one of the best hotels in Ireland and getting this job would be a fantastic experience and will probably put me ahead a year or two of everyone else in my course because of the prestige that comes with the hotel (according to my course leader).

My predicament is, I don't know if I actually want to go... The place is 4-5 hours away from where I currently live and I can't really imagine moving away from the whole summer. I went for the experience not thinking Iwas good enough and now my head is all over the place. One of my main concerns is the gf but obv she is saying to go but yh idk

What do ye think lol

P.S. To give some of you some idea of the prestige this hotel is in the Red Carnation group and they also own Hotel 41 in London which is raned #1 of 1062 hotels in London

AgnesIO
05-02-2015, 10:04 PM
Take it. I'm going to be thousands of miles away from 'home' over summer. Life's too short to miss great opportunities!

Phil
05-02-2015, 10:06 PM
Take it. I'm going to be thousands of miles away from 'home' over summer. Life's too short to miss great opportunities!

Yeah but you're used to it, you're always off in India doing amazing things!

AgnesIO
05-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Yeah but you're used to it, you're always off in India doing amazing things!

Maybe so, but there was also a first time.

The best thing you can do is to go for it, and if they offer you the job, then have another think about it. The opportunity sounds amazing; I find the best way to make decisions is "if I had to decide right now, what would I do?". The answer to that question is normally the thing to go with.

Phil
05-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Maybe so, but there was also a first time.

The best thing you can do is to go for it, and if they offer you the job, then have another think about it. The opportunity sounds amazing; I find the best way to make decisions is "if I had to decide right now, what would I do?". The answer to that question is normally the thing to go with.

If I had to decide right now I'd probably have a panic attack lmao!

One of the girls from another course was offered a position and declined it and my course leader is all like "I'm so embarrassed, she's let the college down"like wtf at that pressure!

AgnesIO
05-02-2015, 10:16 PM
If I had to decide right now I'd probably have a panic attack lmao!

One of the girls from another course was offered a position and declined it and my course leader is all like "I'm so embarrassed, she's let the college down"like wtf at that pressure!

Should ignore the course leader :) It is what is right for you, not the college.

And yeah, try not to have a panic attack haha

Empired
05-02-2015, 10:30 PM
Go to the second interview and do as best you can! No point in worrying yourself now as you may not even get it (wow didn't mean that to be harsh). Give yourself the opportunity to make the decision and then decide when you have to.

scottish
05-02-2015, 11:30 PM
Take it

experience is everything, and if you get a placement in one of the top hotels in the country and a reference from them that opens your career so much when you finish uni/college or they might even ask you to return when you finish.

Phil
05-02-2015, 11:36 PM
Take it

experience is everything, and if you get a placement in one of the top hotels in the country and a reference from them that opens your career so much when you finish uni/college or they might even ask you to return when you finish.

Oh oops I meant in Europe, not Ireland! I'm excited to be going up tomorrow but will probs get lost lol

The Don
05-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Do it! You'll regret not doing it when you're older! You'll meet new people and gain fantastic experience, it's obviously a bit scary thinking going away for the first time but you'll love it when you're there, and if not there's nothing stopping you coming back early

Samantha
05-02-2015, 11:59 PM
You should go regardless of whether you want the job or not - just having that interview gives you more experience in them and shows you have the potential to actually go that far in the process. If you don't go for it how will you ever know what could have been or whether you're good enough to work in the top hotels like that? The only way you can fail is if you don't try or don't go for an opportunity that is currently already there for you.

GoldenMerc
06-02-2015, 12:23 AM
Go mate, live your dream! Dont worry about your gf, if your love is strong enough you'll stay together. I swear to god if you choose not to go because of her there will be trouble!

Zak
06-02-2015, 12:32 AM
What's the pay like? and what will you be doing?

Alkaz
06-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Looks like a fantastic hotel, I've also never heard of Hotel 41 but it looks fabulous! Take the interview and then decide what you want to do. I know it's a long way away but you can still travel home quite easily, not like you're 4000 miles away. If you don't like it you can always resign and come home but you may love it. You'll never know unless you try.

Kyle
06-02-2015, 12:48 AM
Sounds like you're using your girlfriend as a scapegoat of doubt and apprehension to shroud your fear of being rejected for the role. Stop making flimsy excuses and grab life by the balls Phil. This isn't a case of should vs want at all -- you WANT it, and you SHOULD go for it. They're in tandem. Take all the feedback you can get and use this opportunity to better yourself. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yupt
06-02-2015, 07:47 AM
I'd do it, the experience and knowledge it'd give you for the future is too good to miss.

Phil
06-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Guys I just had the interview and the place is absolutely beautiful! Everyone is so friendly! Took 4.5 hours to get here and on the way home now.

Lindsey
06-02-2015, 11:54 PM
I would take it, its an absolute on opportunity in a life time. Would you regret saying no?

Phil
06-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Probably. He said to me that there is probably something for me there, I'll find out sometime next week

Phil
17-02-2015, 11:22 AM
I am going to work in a castle!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!