PDA

View Full Version : What web host do you use?

Richie
27-02-2015, 11:06 PM
What web host do you use and why did you select them?

I was using GoDaddy for hosting up until a month or so ago, got a great offer on a yearly package last year so i just couldn't resist. My renewal date came up and they were asking for nearly triple the price, which is expected I guess, so i hopped ships to namecheap, never really used them for hosting before but I have used them in the past for domains, they've very fast support and are a high reputable company, they also had a good package that's exactly what I need at a cheap price. Lets hope their hosting is as good as their domain service :P 2 weeks in, so good so far.

Chris
27-02-2015, 11:35 PM
I use namecheap because they're cheap and offer exactly what I need at the moment.

peteyt
27-02-2015, 11:45 PM
What web host do you use and why did you select them?

I was using GoDaddy for hosting up until a month or so ago, got a great offer on a yearly package last year so i just couldn't resist. My renewal date came up and they were asking for nearly triple the price, which is expected I guess, so i hopped ships to namecheap, never really used them for hosting before but I have used them in the past for domains, they've very fast support and are a high reputable company, they also had a good package that's exactly what I need at a cheap price. Lets hope their hosting is as good as their domain service :P 2 weeks in, so good so far.

I use xxMATTGxx's server right now for temporary free hosting as my site is on a hiatus and struggling financially. My domains however are also with NameCheap and until the start of this year used them for hosting and had done for a few years.

I do recommend NameCheap as they've been on the go at least from 2000 I believe. I've tried small hosts in the past and found them unreliable because a lot of people just set them up for fun or as an idea and decide to close them down often after taking funds and after people have moved their sites. At least you know NameCheap aren't just going to close suddenly.

Their support isn't bad - their live chat support seems to be 24/7 and they have a forum and email. However with the live chat support I've found sometimes you have to ask the same question multiple times as they often don't understand what you want and tend to get it confused with something else. They also regularly talk about new upcoming features that never come - I remember people complained the php version was too old and they talked about it coming soon, even at one point in a few months - it ended up taking them multiple years with no updates.

Also I've heard Go Daddy has some bad business practices and I know someone was able to phone up and use social engineering techniques to get into someones account so I'd be cautious

scottish
28-02-2015, 01:54 AM
domains namecheap
web hosting really depends, I use GoDaddy atm but I don't use the site (other than the rare linking of screenshots) for anything other than mail (which is done with google apps) hence it's on a £8 a year GoDaddy host.

xxMATTGxx
28-02-2015, 08:53 AM
I have a dedicated server with OVH which then the web hosting side runs on a virtual server with cPanel/WHM installed where I host my own sites and some other peoples for free. The majority of the domain names are with namecheap.

If anyone is wanting any free hosting then give me a shout. Don't mind helping people out.

lRhyss
28-02-2015, 12:21 PM
i use xxMATTGxx enterprises

Firehorse
01-03-2015, 01:33 PM
I use Hostgator, been using them since 2009 and never had any downtime, based in America and loads nice and fast. Hatchling plan costs next to nothing, and the baby plan allows you to host as many websites as you want on the same account (unlimited add-on domains).

Zak
01-03-2015, 03:47 PM
vidahost

Chippiewill
01-03-2015, 03:50 PM
I have a dedicated server with OVH like Matt too. Dirt cheap and as far as I'm aware I've not had a minute of downtime.

In terms of domains I use Godaddy for the vast majority and I use a very specific registrar for my .io domain.

AgnesIO
01-03-2015, 04:07 PM
I currently use Arvixe. Generally very happy with them and their service.

Oleh
01-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Some dodgy one called Shock Hosting, $2.49 a month and gives me unlimited everything. Not too bad.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!