PDA

View Full Version : Staff Posting Quota

Richie
06-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Spam threads in the staff forums aren't really as much of a problem as I originally thought they were, some staff just refuse to post around the forum.

@Wispur (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55895); Dunno if this is implemented already but can you not set a staff post minimum of 15 posts a week or something (Posts must be within areas of the forum that post count does increase). I never understood why staff can't post at least 15 times a week, lets be honest, its not hard and those 15 posts contribute massively to our so called "dying forum".

Matt
06-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Spam threads in the staff forums aren't really as much of a problem as I originally thought they were, some staff just refuse to post around the forum.

@Wispur (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55895); Dunno if this is implemented already but can you not set a staff post minimum of 15 posts a week or something (Posts must be within areas of the forum that post count does increase). I never understood why staff can't post at least 15 times a week, lets be honest, its not hard and those 15 posts contribute massively to our so called "dying forum".

Staff spam forums are hardly used from what I've seen. It's all on skype now anyway (even those seem to be pretty dead but I know it varies from department to department).

I always thought the staff posting scheme was good but then that didn't go down too well with non-staff members, so I won't start that back up :rolleyes:. If you brought in a 15 post minimum for staff I reckon you'd get a lot of people not meeting it, with only a few small exceptions such as management and the forum dept (which are very much forum based anyway).

Phil
06-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Staff spam forums are hardly used from what I've seen. It's all on skype now anyway (even those seem to be pretty dead but I know it varies from department to department).

I always thought the staff posting scheme was good but then that didn't go down too well with non-staff members, so I won't start that back up :rolleyes:. If you brought in a 15 post minimum for staff I reckon you'd get a lot of people not meeting it, with only a few small exceptions such as management and the forum dept (which are very much forum based anyway).

I stopped doing the staff posting statistics because it wasn't improving staff posting which was the plan. Not because a few silly people had a fit about staff getting 50 extra tokens for posting :rolleyes:

Matt
06-03-2015, 01:00 PM
I stopped doing the staff posting statistics because it wasn't improving staff posting which was the plan. Not because a few silly people had a fit about staff getting 50 extra tokens for posting :rolleyes:

ah ok. I know a few people had very big fits over the token idea but yeah the same people did seem to be winning it week in week out.

Richie
06-03-2015, 01:02 PM

Well I'm sure after the first few warnings people would get the idea. If staff aren't willing to take 20 minutes a week (not even) to interact with the community, I'm sorry but they shouldn't be staff. That's literally all it takes. Even the likes of 'post what you last ate' and 'post what you're listening to' are within these bounds that take staff like 10secs to reply to. We are basically talking about 2 'what you're listening to' posts a day. Lmao I just don't see how staff can't do that.

Bloop
06-03-2015, 01:08 PM
why shld it fall on the duties of a staff to not only do their departmental work, but make the forum active and revive a dying fansite?

staff are hired to take on specific tasks in the first place...?

Richie
06-03-2015, 01:13 PM
why shld it fall on the duties of a staff to not only do their departmental work, but make the forum active and revive a dying fansite?

Staff are also a part of our community & this is essentially its hub. What's the point in even attempting to salvage this community if staff don't have enough fire in their belly to even post twice a day. If everyone had the same view as you, I'd vote to abandon the fansite as there's no point, we would all be just wasting our time trying to save something that's already dead, in your eyes.

Bloop
06-03-2015, 01:19 PM
Staff are also a part of our community & this is essentially its hub. What's the point in even attempting to salvage this community if staff don't have enough fire in their belly to even post twice a day. If everyone had the same view as you, I'd vote to abandon the fansite as there's no point, we would all be just wasting our time trying to save something that's already dead, in your eyes.

im not saying habbox is dead, but its what this thread makes it appear to be. we are still better than most other fansites although yes, post counts have decreased.

i dnt agree that staff should be forced to meet a posting minimum especially since some departments are already in desperate need of people like events. why drive away even more people? i suggest attracting more members should be worked on rather than add to the burden of staff when it isnt their fault that posts are dcreasing?

lousy argument and i probably dont even make sense sorry cuz im half-asleep

Alysha
06-03-2015, 01:35 PM
I agree with Richie, it doesn't even have to be fifteen. Half of the staff don't post even once, it's not a burden to interact with the people you're working with, or the community you're working for. If you see it that way, they why bother at all?
Would you go into work irl and just ignore other staff members or customers etc? No, you wouldn't. The same principle applies.
The reason fan sites die out, is because people stop interacting.

Richie
06-03-2015, 01:37 PM
im not saying habbox is dead, but its what this thread makes it appear to be. we are still better than most other fansites although yes, post counts have decreased.

i dnt agree that staff should be forced to meet a posting minimum especially since some departments are already in desperate need of people like events. why drive away even more people? i suggest attracting more members should be worked on rather than add to the burden of staff when it isnt their fault that posts are dcreasing?

lousy argument and i probably dont even make sense sorry cuz im half-asleep

The thing is though, no-one wants to sign up to a forum graveyard. Sure, you might think it's a bit harsh, you may even think I'm trying to pass off the blame to staff, however that isn't the case. It's so easy as a staff member to hide away on skype / hidden forums to speak to the handful of folk. I'm going to be honest, if it gets me in trouble so be it but since becoming a moderator I feel my post count has decreased massively, although mine are higher than average I'm simply not posting around as much as I used to. The majority of the people on the forum I speak to through skype anyway, its the same case we everyone else.

If every staff member stays in that mindset 'oh i have them on skype, i'll speak there' what's the point in habbox. This is why we should have a staff quota on a post minimum, to set an example and to help our forum. I could have easily sent all this to @Wispur (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=55895); over skype, had a rant and rave there, suggesting this but I didn't as I knew if I did i'd be getting one response not a possible 20+.

Samantha
06-03-2015, 01:38 PM

HabboxLive, Events, Help Desk and Competitions are all community departments therefore they should be posting on the forum even if it's just a couple of times a week. The community aspect isn't just on client it's all the members on the forum too.

I mean, how can we expect forum members to listen to HabboxLive (for example) when half the DJs do not post on the forum, it'd be great to advertise their shows more, get them posting. Members usually tune in to specific DJs, but they won't know what others sound like until they know that there are other DJs to listen to and not just certain ones. You never know, they might be interesting! Although it'd be great to see more people posting, it may only come if the higher people in the hierarchy set an example. Not just managers+, but the seniors in their departments too!

I don't think a set post count would work, but it could always be trialled.

Matt
06-03-2015, 01:41 PM

I agree. If we end up getting literally no one doing it, then it's back to the drawing board. No harm in trying right?

Alysha
06-03-2015, 01:47 PM
I think 5 posts is a decent enough number for staff to start out with. What harm would that do to them?

In other news:
ENTER THE ICONIC DESIGN COMPETITION
LOTS OF PRIZES, UNLOCK YOUR INNER PICASSO, SUPPORT THE IRISH ETC.

Richie
06-03-2015, 01:50 PM
HabboxLive, Events, Help Desk and Competitions are all community departments therefore they should be posting on the forum even if it's just a couple of times a week. The community aspect isn't just on client it's all the members on the forum too.

I mean, how can we expect forum members to listen to HabboxLive (for example) when half the DJs do not post on the forum, it'd be great to advertise their shows more, get them posting. Members usually tune in to specific DJs, but they won't know what others sound like until they know that there are other DJs to listen to and not just certain ones. You never know, they might be interesting! Although it'd be great to see more people posting, it may only come if the higher people in the hierarchy set an example. Not just managers+, but the seniors in their departments too!

I totally agree. Lets take @Yuxin (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=63975); for example, she's a great DJ, very entertaining however I feel there's so many other presenters at the same level, yet she pulls in so many more listeners than them. The reason being, she knows the community, speaks to the community, a lot don't. The same would apply for other departments. The same events staff pull in mass amounts of users to their events yet the ones who don't interact struggle to get six people. I don't think that's just coincidence.

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Disagree. I post because I want to not because I'm forced to. While I agree that staff should get more involved in the community (going to habbox events, hxhd, posting round forum), I believe encouragement rather than force is the better option.

Richie
06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
I think 5 posts is a decent enough number for staff to start out with. What harm would that do to them?

In other news:
ENTER THE ICONIC DESIGN COMPETITION
LOTS OF PRIZES, UNLOCK YOUR INNER PICASSO, SUPPORT THE IRISH ETC.

Perhaps you're right, I didn't think posting would be that bad that's why I suggested 15. I just took a quick browse through the staff list and was thinking to myself who the hell are half of these people, didn't even know some of them existed, that's quite sad considering they could make so many more friends with a lot of people within this community if they just showed their faces now and then (not literally, stop getting excited RyRy;).

Lindsey
06-03-2015, 01:59 PM
I agree with the fact the staff members should be contributing to the forum and the community, but I don't think forcing to will help. I personally think they will just leave especially the new staff members to the community. I think the management should promote them to post on the forum. I know that Kimmy has been trying.

scottish
06-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Disagree. I post because I want to not because I'm forced to. While I agree that staff should get more involved in the community (going to habbox events, hxhd, posting round forum), I believe encouragement rather than force is the better option.

they tried that, it didn't work

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 02:05 PM
Personal encouragement as in talking to people one-on-one rather than using system-wide posting stats. Becoming friends with them, inviting them to events etc. It's a double-edged sword really. You encourage people to get more involved in the community by making them feel like they're already part of the community.

The point being is that if it's just a minimum requirement, it becomes another box-ticking exercise when it's already a struggle for departments to gain staff.

Richie
06-03-2015, 02:06 PM

So what do you suggest? Any incentives that have been thrown their way is thrown straight back. What other options are there? there is no point in becoming staff if you aren't going to interact with the community. They are community based departments, if they aren't doing their job, rules should be enforced to encourage them to do so. There's no better encouragement than fear :Naughty:. In all seriousness though, do you think a small criteria to be met weekly is such a bad thing? some might even enjoy it and become addicts like yourself :P.

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Refresh richie :P
The problem is you think that problems can be solved through systematic change, rules or regulations. That is not the case and I do not think it is the case with this one. A lot of issues will not be fixed through posting schemes, posting quotas, posting statistics. I don't think a little competition hurts (www.habbox.com/comps) so I have no qualms about the weekly posting stats (although I think it's proof enough that it doesn't encourage posting) but adding pointless rules can.

I suppose it would also help if every time they did post they weren't piled on like a sack of potatoes by older members (staff and non-staff) who really should be supporting people to post not putting them off. Some things are just attitude changes.

I propose a "Nooby not Snobby" campaign where we encourage members to make friends with a newbie rather than looking down their nose at them.
I propose an achievements system which would encourage new and older users alike (staff and non-staff) to get involved with the wider range of what Habbox has to offer.
I propose bringing back the Welcome Committee so that we can try to retain the new users we are getting rather than slipping through the cracks.
I propose we don't scare people away when they enter Habbox rooms by being intimidating or trolling them.

Ultimately, staff are members too and some of them sign up to the forum simply to become staff so if we do the above, we can encourage them to take part more fully in the community.

Richie
06-03-2015, 02:27 PM
I propose a "Nooby not Snobby" campaign where we encourage members to make friends with a newbie rather than looking down their nose at them.
I haven't seen that happen in like 4 years, the majority welcome new users with open arms. If it does ever happen, a lot will tend to defend that person, including myself.

I propose an achievements system which would encourage new and older users alike (staff and non-staff) to get involved with the wider range of what Habbox has to offer.

No-one cares about achievements, I don't mean to be blunt but i thought we were going to abolish that useless feature.

I propose bringing back the Welcome Committee so that we can try to retain the new users we are getting rather than slipping through the cracks.

@Hecktix (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=31167); tried this, i was part of the welcome committee, it was abandoned a week later as it didn't work out.

I propose we don't scare people away when they enter Habbox rooms by being intimidating or trolling them.
People don't actually do that anymore, not that I know of anyway, if you see any posts like that link me so i can throw stones at them.

I think you need to take off your tinted glasses Mike because the majority of that seems to be a thing of the past :P
http://f.tqn.com/y/weirdnews/1/S/6/4/-/-/Olympics_2008_Fan_400.jpg

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 02:42 PM
wouldn't tinted glasses mean I'd be thinking everything was wonderful :P
Maybe it's improved but it's still around.

-:Undertaker:-
06-03-2015, 02:44 PM
I don't understand people not posting really as we are on a forum and it is sort of self-explanatory.

Sadly though we don't do ourselves any favours in terms of staff, I didn't have Skype and didn't like using it yet I was pestered to death by the upper reaches and staff themselves to get Skype when I was used to the older days (and what we should be doing) of conducting much staff exchanges on the forum. I'd much rather lodge a VM, PM or post in a staff spam thread than open up Skype. But then I am old fashioned.

I don't like the idea of staff quotas but if that is what it takes, then introduce them. Funnily enough I was actually thinking of them the other day. :P

Richie
06-03-2015, 02:53 PM
wouldn't tinted glasses mean I'd be thinking everything was wonderful :P
Maybe it's improved but it's still around.

You clearly didn't get the pun :P

There's no evidence to support that though, can you link me to one thread that has happened in recently? otherwise that argument is null

I don't understand people not posting really as we are on a forum and it is sort of self-explanatory.

Sadly though we don't do ourselves any favours in terms of staff, I didn't have Skype and didn't like using it yet I was pestered to death by the upper reaches and staff themselves to get Skype when I was used to the older days (and what we should be doing) of conducting much staff exchanges on the forum. I'd much rather lodge a VM, PM or post in a staff spam thread than open up Skype. But then I am old fashioned.

I don't like the idea of staff quotas but if that is what it takes, then introduce them. Funnily enough I was actually thinking of them the other day. :P

It would definitely help activity, in all fairness though, how hard is it to reply to one of these threads;

What was the last thing you watched?
What was the last thing you bought?
What games do you play?
What are you listening to?
Favorite seasons...

I could go on, even if staff haven't got an opinion on something they can easily contribute through threads like that. Anyone could reply to the threads above in a couple of minutes, taking a few minutes a day to post in a couple of threads helps the forum massively. It just doesn't make sense, that's why I feel community based departments should be required to post 'x' amount of times a week.

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 02:55 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=821439

Usually, it's ignoring people and making them feel isolated that's worse though. That happens a lot on Habbo in particular.

Showder
06-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Rightios!! Considering that I've only returned and have been active here for nearly a month, I guess I'll just add a lil' bit of my 'inpoot' here based on the experiences I have so far since I've logged back on.

I'm not trying to be a suck-up or anything but Habbox has one of the best fansite communities (again, based on the experiences I have so far, but with fansites this time) because of the warm and small community you get while being here, so it's sad to see the forum slowly dying. I can see that there has been attempts to improve it (i.e Weekly Posting Stats) and I think the forum managers should keep it up.

I think one of the issues here are the fact that some new staff/non-staff/returnees are afraid/nervous of posting on the forum because:
1.) Criticism (which I personally think is a stupid reason but it's true, in my case anyway :()
2.) *not something that often happens here at HxF but I'll just say it* Cliques. Some cliques and groups tend to overlook the new people on the forum so new forumers/new staff tend to loose interest on the forum/site if this problem persists.
Another problem that we all can't deny is the fact that Habbo is dying too. And since we (as fansites) originate from Habbo, we're all affected.

Maybe the management can look into team bonding (Monthly Skype calls as a whole dept/online karaoke/OMGPOP even that's not around anymore... but again, just an example)? That possibly would help get people motivated to post on the forum (especially spam.) Also this may encourage staff that can't be arsed to post/are inactive in terms of the community to be more active in the forum. :)

A poster said on here regarding Welcoming Commitee - I think that's useless because we already have one, which is basically the active forumers right now, and there's not much. Staff posting quota can be experimented in small doses (such as 5 posts for a staff per week) but it isn't guaranteed that it'll help in the long run. But that's experimentation for you anyway.

I think my post pretty much is irrelevant to the original topic but I just hope this little feedback helps, coming from someone who hasn't been working in Habbox/engaged in the community for a long time.

Richie
06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=821439

Usually, it's ignoring people and making them feel isolated that's worse though. That happens a lot on Habbo in particular.

That happens to everyone though Mike, Scott clearly felt his suggestion wasn't a good idea and is entitled to express that opinion even if it is extremely blunt, as he is at times. There has been a number of times where I've posted feedback threads and I've been told my ideas sucked, feedback is always going to be harshest sections on responses. You normally like something or you don't. If a random user with no posts went into spam and posted something ridiculous, the majority would still reply. You're going on like people are being victimized. People not responding to threads or having blunt replies happens to me also, there has also been a number of times were i'd go into a habbo room and be ignored, I don't think it's intentional though.

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 03:08 PM
It does happen to everyone but I still think when it happens to newer users then it'll make them less likely to get involved again. Not everyone is as thick-skinned as we are and if they don't have any friends to stay here for then it's highly likely they will not stick around (or if they do, not post).

Richie
06-03-2015, 03:12 PM
It does happen to everyone but I still think when it happens to newer users then it'll make them less likely to get involved again. Not everyone is as thick-skinned as we are and if they don't have any friends to stay here for then it's highly likely they will not stick around (or if they do, not post).

THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN THOUGH, FGS.

In the link you supported above, scott disagreed with his opinion. It wasn't a great suggestion. If everyone on the forum was told they're 'intimidating someone' by not agreeing with them, there would be no point in a forum. Opinions are meant to be diverse.

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 03:15 PM
You can still disagree with someone without criticising someone's English or saying it's stupid so that argument is null.

- - - Updated - - -

Rightios!! Considering that I've only returned and have been active here for nearly a month, I guess I'll just add a lil' bit of my 'inpoot' here based on the experiences I have so far since I've logged back on.

I'm not trying to be a suck-up or anything but Habbox has one of the best fansite communities (again, based on the experiences I have so far, but with fansites this time) because of the warm and small community you get while being here, so it's sad to see the forum slowly dying. I can see that there has been attempts to improve it (i.e Weekly Posting Stats) and I think the forum managers should keep it up.

I think one of the issues here are the fact that some new staff/non-staff/returnees are afraid/nervous of posting on the forum because:
1.) Criticism (which I personally think is a stupid reason but it's true, in my case anyway :()
2.) *not something that often happens here at HxF but I'll just say it* Cliques. Some cliques and groups tend to overlook the new people on the forum so new forumers/new staff tend to loose interest on the forum/site if this problem persists.
Another problem that we all can't deny is the fact that Habbo is dying too. And since we (as fansites) originate from Habbo, we're all affected.

Maybe the management can look into team bonding (Monthly Skype calls as a whole dept/online karaoke/OMGPOP even that's not around anymore... but again, just an example)? That possibly would help get people motivated to post on the forum (especially spam.) Also this may encourage staff that can't be arsed to post/are inactive in terms of the community to be more active in the forum. :)

A poster said on here regarding Welcoming Commitee - I think that's useless because we already have one, which is basically the active forumers right now, and there's not much. Staff posting quota can be experimented in small doses (such as 5 posts for a staff per week) but it isn't guaranteed that it'll help in the long run. But that's experimentation for you anyway.

I think my post pretty much is irrelevant to the original topic but I just hope this little feedback helps, coming from someone who hasn't been working in Habbox/engaged in the community for a long time.

Don't your two points here contradict each other? I suggested reviving the Welcome Committee because of your point 2 :D

Phil
06-03-2015, 04:53 PM
Reading over the thread and it's quite interesting to see some of the things that are being discussed.

Nick and I were actually going to introduce a quota for Moderator Staff too reach, I haven't implemented it yet because I'm unsure how I feel about it. I just don't see how cautioning/warning people for posting around the Forum can be a good idea, stuff in departments like HxL will drop like flies.

I also just a had a look at the posting statistics from 27th-6th and 35 members of staff have gotten above 15 posts.

Kyle
06-03-2015, 05:57 PM
This has been a pertinent issue for a long time and one I have considered on numerous occasions over the last 2-5 years where activity has dropped. Having been one of the few consistent top posters in recent years I feel I have some useful first hand insight that may throw light on what seems to be becoming the biggest problem for forum activity. I'll start by saying that increasing posts is not the solution per se; increasing new threads is. Last summer I compiled a list of Hxhd staff and their post counts and posts per day and set about finding out both what personally motivated individuals to post in high numbers and what was stopping others from not posting at all. My first test subject was welshcake, whom I tasked with creating one thread on a topic she was interested in that would promote discussion - because she studies film I suggested something to do with that. Had I not had other commitments and stuck around in the position I would have gone on to develop a similar target for each member that would both help them become accustomed with the forum and its users as well as, most importantly, facilitating wide ranges of discussions that would ultimately inspire others. What I'm saying here is that it is not post quantity that matters and those who do so on occasion and only instrumentally as a means to an end (for postcount/tokens) are often viewed negatively as "spammers" (Lewis, Scott) and because only a few users are interested in those ends, they soak up opportunities that might have otherwised established other others as community members seen to be contributing. The number one excuse for not posting is that there aren't any interesting threads; the excuses given when people are asked to create threads are that they've either all been done (so post it again, you might get a different discussion entirely!!!) or that people "don't know what to talk about. Encouragement to express and taylor threads to one's idiosyncrasies and personal views or stories is what is needed, not mindless quotas that have in the past only served to keep old threads alive.

People are followers, not leaders or visionaries. They'll lurk until threads that entice them appear, post a spiel in them, then fade into the darkness once again until a similar opportunity arises. The key to activity is to pull individuals from the darkness for longer periods or permanently and encourage them to create some content of their own. Post count quotas will not do this and posting will become another chore in the ever expanding rigmarole of administrative duties that make people not want to be staff. Mike has already rightly stated that a softer approach is needed if any results are to be had -- staff are not machines to programme, they have individuals with personalities and a plethora of contrasting standpoints on all kinds of topics. Exploit that and you'll get more threads and in turn more posts/higher levels of activity. Just don't make it compulsory so that it turns into a chore.

The moderator subject is an interesting one for me and I feel strongly that each moderator should be posting at least one thread (per fortnight) in each of his designated subforums that promotes discussion and encourages members to post outside of their comfort zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richie
06-03-2015, 06:03 PM
This has been a pertinent issue for a long time and one I have considered on numerous occasions over the last 2-5 years where activity has dropped. Having been one of the few consistent top posters in recent years I feel I have some useful first hand insight that may throw light on what seems to be becoming the biggest problem for forum activity. I'll start by saying that increasing posts is not the solution per se; increasing new threads is. Last summer I compiled a list of Hxhd staff and their post counts and posts per day and set about finding out both what personally motivated individuals to post in high numbers and what was stopping others from not posting at all. My first test subject was welshcake, whom I tasked with creating one thread on a topic she was interested in that would promote discussion - because she studies film I suggested something to do with that. Had I not had other commitments and stuck around in the position I would have gone on to develop a similar target for each member that would both help them become accustomed with the forum and its users as well as, most importantly, facilitating wide ranges of discussions that would ultimately inspire others. What I'm saying here is that it is not post quantity that matters and those who do so on occasion and only instrumentally as a means to an end (for postcount/tokens) are often viewed negatively as "spammers" (Lewis, Scott) and because only a few users are interested in those ends, they soak up opportunities that might have otherwised established other others as community members seen to be contributing. The number one excuse for not posting is that there aren't any interesting threads; the excuses given when people are asked to create threads are that they've either all been done (so post it again, you might get a different discussion entirely!!!) or that people "don't know what to talk about. Encouragement to express and taylor threads to one's idiosyncrasies and personal views or stories is what is needed, not mindless quotas that have in the past only served to keep old threads alive.

People are followers, not leaders or visionaries. They'll lurk until threads that entice them appear, post a spiel in them, then fade into the darkness once again until a similar opportunity arises. The key to activity is to pull individuals from the darkness for longer periods or permanently and encourage them to create some content of their own. Post count quotas will not do this and posting will become another chore in the ever expanding rigmarole of administrative duties that make people not want to be staff. Mike has already rightly stated that a softer approach is needed if any results are to be had -- staff are not machines to programme, they have individuals with personalities and a plethora of contrasting standpoints on all kinds of topics. Exploit that and you'll get more threads and in turn more posts/higher levels of activity. Just don't make it compulsory so that it turns into a chore.

The moderator subject is an interesting one for me and I feel strongly that each moderator should be posting at least one thread (per fortnight) in each of his designated subforums that promotes discussion and encourages members to post outside of their comfort zones.

so do you agree or not?

Calum0812
06-03-2015, 06:09 PM
What was the last thing you watched?
What was the last thing you bought?
What games do you play?
What are you listening to?
Favorite seasons...
If the extra posts we get from a staff quota are posts like that then I would rather they didn't post at all. Introducing a quota should encourage discussion and interaction with the community (as people have mentioned) something those types of threads do not encourage.

Kyle
06-03-2015, 06:10 PM
so do you agree or not?

I disagree that a posting quota is going to be of any benefit, in fact I think it would harm activity and decrease staff numbers. I suggest honing in on individuals and encouraging them to create threads that spark discussion on things that interest them. The only quota I would support is one for created threads by moderators in their respective sections, everything else can be achieved through a less aggressive method.

Calum0812
06-03-2015, 06:11 PM
The only quota I would support is one for created threads by moderators in their respective sections.
Serious question:
What would you like to see from the Super Moderators and Forum Management whom are global moderators?

Inseriousity.
06-03-2015, 06:14 PM
staff are not machines to programme, they have individuals with personalities and a plethora of contrasting standpoints on all kinds of topics. Exploit that and you'll get more threads and in turn more posts/higher levels of activity. Just don't make it compulsory so that it turns into a chore.

Yes totally agree with this and I think that really goes to staff and non-staff. Get to know them as people and you can nudge them into the community.

Kyle
06-03-2015, 06:17 PM
Serious question:
What would you like to see from the Super Moderators and Forum Management whom are global moderators?
As global moderators these people should be au fait with posting habits of all members and I would personally like to see them working to revive (or otherwise delete or consolidate into existing forums) the most dead sections of the forum by posting more in those. But really the same as normal moderators in terms of creation and facilitation of discussion on their personal subjects of interest.

Empired
06-03-2015, 06:27 PM
THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN THOUGH, FGS.

In the link you supported above, scott disagreed with his opinion. It wasn't a great suggestion. If everyone on the forum was told they're 'intimidating someone' by not agreeing with them, there would be no point in a forum. Opinions are meant to be diverse.

Actually I think it does happen. I think you've been around long enough to have become mostly immune to those kinds of things, but newcomers don't and shouldn't have to know that Scott is that negative with everyone and will end up feeling victimised even if that's not how he intended them to feel.

As a relatively new member compared to most people in this thread, I thought I should add that up until about 4 months ago I really hated posting new threads for fear of a negative reaction from older user. Similarly, up until about the same time I felt I couldn't post in spam because I wasn't part of the 'in-crowd'. That whole spam clique seems to have died down a lot now which is great, but I'm still not the greatest fan of making threads.

I don't think forcing staff to post will do anything. It might increase the overall post count ever so slightly but most staff members will ignore the targets and just take the warnings. I think managers would then be unhappy with firing them all just because they won't post. I want to agree with Kyle and say it should be the manager's job (or the seniors' in huge departments like HxL) to work personally with each member of staff and encourage them to post about what they are interested in. It should also then be the manager (etc)'s job to post in the thread their staff members make to encourage them to feel part of the community.

I'd be interested to see how other newcomers like Expling; Zealoux; and bloop; felt when they first joined HabboxForum last year.

Alysha
06-03-2015, 06:35 PM
I was definitely nervous to post, so I lurked around for ages. Nothing really pulled me in on here, until I started making friends on the client.
I think it took me a good 3 months to actually post anything properly.
I remember feeling like I didn't want to intrude on the cliques that were already forged...

MKR&*42
06-03-2015, 06:37 PM
I'd be interested to see how other newcomers like @Expling (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=122515); @Zealoux (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=121240); and @bloop (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=121494); felt when they first joined HabboxForum last year.

Yo are those Danish guys still here as well? I'd be interested to see how they feel as they're even newer :P

Chris
06-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Some very interesting posts indeed! I agree entirely with Kyle's post. I think it's something that is definitely doable and it is something that I would be keen to undertake as a project.

despect
06-03-2015, 10:17 PM
I completely agree about staff posting around the Forum. I know with my experience when I was HabboxLive Manager, I asked many DJs why they do not post around the Forum or even check the Forum on a regular basis and as silly as it sounds but I got the reply of "I'm too nervous" or "I have no idea how to use the Forum". I often refered them to FAQ and even tried to teach them how to post etc, but with no luck. Many just don't like the Forum for whatever reason.

Whether there should be a posting minimum, I'm not sure.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!