PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever lied online about your identity?

scottish
12-03-2015, 11:47 PM
Have you ever lied online about your identity, whether it's full on catfishing (using someone elses pictures, identity, etc) or lying about simple facts (whether it's for privacy such as location, or perhaps things you'd be embarrassed about if people find out)

If so, did you come clean in the end?

What did you lie about (if you don't continue to lie about it)?

Kellie
12-03-2015, 11:49 PM
I've never had to lie about my identity, no reason to :O

Richie
12-03-2015, 11:51 PM
Na, never understand why people do. If someone has a feature about them / something in their life they don't want people to know, just don't talk about that crap, there's no need to lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lindsey
13-03-2015, 12:28 AM
When I first joined fansites when I was 10, I use to lie that I was 13.. But thats about it haha.

buttons
13-03-2015, 12:29 AM
yh i used to pretend to be a hot 26 year old babe when i was 13 or 14 on this website that i can't remember but yeah i got all the men

Absently
13-03-2015, 12:52 AM
i used to always lie about my age when i was younger, 'cus i felt people would treat me differently if they knew i was young. when i was like 11/12 i joined habbo.ca and pretended i was a fit 16 year old boy on habbo and used to goto the modelling rooms and make friends with all the girls, idk why i did that tbh i never took it seriously and never really got to know anybody properly and probably did it for a few days. i've never faked my personality or used fake pics

Gina
13-03-2015, 12:53 AM
on the student forum i say my name is jemma because if i pot a thread i get scared incase any rl ppl use it so
i dnt talk to anyone on there and when i do make threads theyre anonymous
but uno justi ncase

oh also when i first came to habbox i used to say i was 16 because uno lmao i was 10/11 i had no chance of getting into hxl saying my ral age back then or even being accepted in this community so just said that i was 16

lmao i remember saying i was 16 yet posted a pic of me looking like 8??

FlyingJesus
13-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Well there have been little lies like telling people on habbo that I'm new and need guidance TO TEST HXHD STAFF but yeah obv easy to lie on the internet and I doubt anyone has ever lived a perfectly truthful e-life.

In 2004 a friend and I created a Habbo called yum11 and used it to seduce another friend who lived literally over the road from where we were and we tried getting them to pay us for bobba and it was absolutely hilarious because he had another friend with him online at the time and was trying to show him how cool he was on habbo and it was brilliant oh my god that's over a decade ago I am so old but yeah that was great... I've never done a long term catfishing thing I don't think, seems like a lot of effort but have done the whole "I'm a girl give me rune armour" thing on RS or whatever and once on Evony I made a spy account but that only lasted like a week. I am obv Machiavelli reborn 2k15

Kyle
13-03-2015, 01:30 AM
Habbo is really the only place online that has ever demanded from me some level of sharing personal info in order to properly integrate and 'get to know' people so to protect my own privacy in the past I've adopted traits others have attributed to me.

Aside from things like pretending to be scottish for a couple of weeks cos I liked to use to word aye and people thought I was scottish, there is one instance over half a decade ago now whereI had a group of friends that I'd skype with pretty often and we'd play games and whatever together... anyway, I had a really bad built in mic and it made me sound super old and like I was in a fish tank, so when we went on habbo they'd joke about me being old and eventually others picked up on it and all of a sudden I was 34 years old. What was I to do but just internalise that and build the character further? :P I become a 34 year old English teacher, my grammar improved, and I made some unusual friendships that have lasted regardless.

The character died in about 2010-11 when I met people I actually cared about who I felt I could be more honest with but it sometimes crops up when I run into people from back in the day but mostly people understand that it was just that - a character. I'd never lie to intentionally deceive unless it's to protect someone else's identity, not too bothered about my own nowadays.

thms
13-03-2015, 02:09 AM
age gender yes but it was a time when i didn't really know who i was as a person and like kyle said above it was never to deceive or upset anybody, more like a character for sure. thankfully i have made great friends out of that time who don't play habbo anymore but i still talk to daily. it was definitely nice to have them accept me even after discovering i had lied to them

FlyingJesus
13-03-2015, 03:51 AM
age gender yes but it was a time when i didn't really know who i was as a person and like kyle said above it was never to deceive or upset anybody, more like a character for sure. thankfully i have made great friends out of that time who don't play habbo anymore but i still talk to daily. it was definitely nice to have them accept me even after discovering i had lied to them

You're more real on habz than irl go tell your dad that you love the bum do it now and you will be freeeeeeeee you're like 30 anyway

thms
13-03-2015, 04:24 AM
You're more real on habz than irl go tell your dad that you love the bum do it now and you will be freeeeeeeee you're like 30 anyway

i am younger than you by like 10 years piss off and true i am probably more real on habs

-:Undertaker:-
13-03-2015, 07:11 AM
Yes i'm an invented character.

Didn't someone do it years ago on HxF who was high profile, said they were a boy and they were really a girl or something. Vaguely remember it.

Matt
13-03-2015, 10:02 AM
Nope, i've never had the need to. I know plenty of people who have though. I'm a really bad liar anyway so people would suss me out after like 1 week.

Jurv
13-03-2015, 10:32 AM
nope i don't think so, never really felt the need to

Sho
13-03-2015, 01:25 PM
Never lied about my identity, but when I first joined habbox in 2011 I referred to myself as Ash (I don't even know why I went for Ash) because I was too embarrassed to use my real name since it looks strange if you're not Welsh and I was scared in case people made fun of me. I stopped using Habbox for a year and came back using my real name. Thankfully nobody remembered that I used to have a different name (or if they did, they didn't question me about it).

I wouldn't really call it catfishing, though. It was just a random name I thought of and all photos I posted in PAPOY were of me and stuff. :P

Zak
13-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Yes i'm an invented character.

Didn't someone do it years ago on HxF who was high profile, said they were a boy and they were really a girl or something. Vaguely remember it.

Yeah it was Zelda;

and no I have no reason to lie about anything

dbgtz
13-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Yes when I was much, much younger. I don't remember to what extent I lied, but I never came clean about it.

Absently
13-03-2015, 04:39 PM
omg i just remembered i used to lie that i had a twin sister when i was little too :S her name was liza... i remember it was because i wanted to be like my friends that had a twin too haha

Kardan
13-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Yes, when I joined here back in 2004, I didn't want to say I was 11, so I think I said I was about 13~14, but only if people pressured me into saying so, I wouldn't say anything otherwise.

Then I became a Habbo eXpert at the age of 12, so I inflated my age slightly for that as well. Was a Habbo eXpert Team Leader at 14, and was probably leading a group of 8 or so people that would have been much older, so I probably inflated my age a few years back then as well.

But other than that, no. Don't really need to lie about age these days.

welshcake
13-03-2015, 04:48 PM
I lied on Habbo from around 2004 ish. I pretended I was a guy and like 21 years old. Then I really wanted a HC girl Habbo and I couldn't with the account I was using when I was pretending to be a guy so I created a new one in 2008 so I could be myself and that account is welshcake.

Kimmy
14-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Lied about my age once for ages, but that was when I was 14 and wanted to be older ;)
Also told people that I was a male on Habbo for ages because it's Habbo

Phil
14-03-2015, 07:21 PM
I've named about my gender and name on Habbo years ago. Got to the stage where I made friends with people and I was actually catfishing but I came clean not after long and remained friends with three of the four people that mattered.

UnrealGoffEmo
14-03-2015, 07:57 PM
lmao i remember saying i was 16 yet posted a pic of me looking like 8??

Class - that is so cool .... dunno how you got away with that!!

I have lied a bit - though just for acceptance (but not really exactly as so) but on another Forum - I really believed that something would occur (that didn't work out) and I hadn't got the guts to tell the others .... let alone admit it to myself. a silly move I admit now!!

Samantha
25-03-2015, 03:50 AM
I don't think so, if I ever had it would only have been small things which I've later cleared up or made a joke about. I never saw the point of hiding the true me on the Internet though, although people do think I'm Laura apparently :P.

Having said that, someone has used my pictures and pretended it was them before, I only found out years later when someone told me they'd already seen that picture before.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!