PDA

View Full Version : Are you registered to vote/Will you vote?

MKR&*42
16-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Election is on 7th May, so just curious if most of you here are registered to vote (it literally takes about five minutes to do it now, so you really should) and how many of you intend to vote?

If you're not registered, why?
If you're registered, but not going to vote then why?

If you're a new uni student then it's seemingly extra important to register this year because the system got changed meaning loads of students aren't registered anymore etc http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30366986.
---
Oh right, register here https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Martin
16-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I am registered and will indeed vote! :D

-:Undertaker:-
16-03-2015, 09:38 PM
I am but i'm sorting out my residence thing with the Electoral Commission atm.

And aye I am voting. Unsure though, probably the Greens or the SWP..

Chippiewill
16-03-2015, 09:45 PM
I'm registered to vote at my home address, I haven't decided yet whether or not I will. I'm not even sure what candidates I have.

Edit: Dan, tell me who Stephen Emmens is and why I should vote for them.

Kardan
16-03-2015, 09:49 PM
Yes and yes.

16-03-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm registered to vote at my home address, I haven't decided yet whether or not I will. I'm not even sure what candidates I have.

Edit: Dan, tell me who Stephen Emmens is and why I should vote for them.

dno who that is never heard of him

Norwich South is a very strange seat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_in_United_Kingdom_constituencies,_ 2010%E2%80%9315#Norwich_South) though, almost a 5-way marginal.

Chippiewill
16-03-2015, 10:06 PM
dno who that is never heard of him
I looked him up. His FAQ is really unprofessionally written.

Norwich South is a very strange seat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_in_United_Kingdom_constituencies,_ 2010%E2%80%9315#Norwich_South) though, almost a 5-way marginal.
Can't wait for all the parties to use different polls to say "Can't win here" with a 1 point margin.

I want Charles Clarke back :(

16-03-2015, 10:09 PM
I looked him up. His FAQ is really unprofessionally written.

Didn't know you were considering purple. Email him and see what responses are like, he could be responsive or just a paper candidate. You'll know by responses.

I want Charles Clarke back :(

Out of the Labour lot, especially the senior team, he was one I could say I sort of liked.

In a seat like Norwich, will you be tactically voting or does that not matter to you? My guess looking at the polls there would be that the Liberal Democrats will try and appeal to other voters (especially Conservatives) to block Labour from picking up the seat.

Can't wait for all the parties to use different polls to say "Can't win here" with a 1 point margin.

Those dodgy Liberal Democrat bar charts which have the bars completely out of scale to the percentages. :P

FlyingJesus
16-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Nope/nope seems like effort

David
16-03-2015, 10:19 PM
yes think i'm still registered from last year and no i'm not voting, don't care

lawrawrrr
16-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Yes and yes. I'm not decided on who I'm voting on yet though, going to pay attention to their policies in the coming months! It'll probably be Plaid Cymru, Lib Dems or Green here though as it's pretty much a 2-horse race (plus I like a lot of Green policies)

Chippiewill
16-03-2015, 10:22 PM
Out of the Labour lot, especially the senior team, he was one I could say I sort of liked.
Although he didn't have a great time as a cabinet minister he was a really good MP - and those don't come about often. I still laugh watching the current Norwich North MP in this Paxman interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or4Nq6fah1k , she came to my school to do a talk about the conservatives and just came across as having her head shoved right up Cameron's arse and not giving a **** about what's good for the constituency.

In a seat like Norwich, will you be tactically voting or does that not matter to you? My guess looking at the polls there would be that the Liberal Democrats will try and appeal to other voters (especially Conservatives) to block Labour from picking up the seat.
Ehh, I'm more concerned about the person than the party, I'll vote for whoever I think will represent the constituency best and has at least some chance of getting in (Polling at least 15%).

Those dodgy Liberal Democrat bar charts which have the bars completely out of scale to the percentages. :P
Every party around here does that, although I do recall the Lib Dems doing it more. It really ought to be illegal to have those charts out of scale but I doubt any party wants to expand the powers of the regulatory body which deals with that.

Inseriousity.
16-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I am registered and will probably vote. Problem is I have absolutely no idea who for.
There's also a mayoral election in my town too and I know who I'm voting for with that. Independent candidates with no party loyalty makes things much easier to vote for!

Jazz
16-03-2015, 10:30 PM
yep and yep

dbgtz
16-03-2015, 10:40 PM
I am registered and I will vote, or at the very least spoil my ballot. Maybe I'll vote myself.

Kyle
16-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Yes I will vote

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottish
17-03-2015, 12:23 AM
I am and will only vote if ukip has a chance, so most likely no.

Shockwave.2CC
17-03-2015, 12:49 AM
Yes & Yes

17-03-2015, 09:45 AM
Although he didn't have a great time as a cabinet minister he was a really good MP - and those don't come about often. I still laugh watching the current Norwich North MP in this Paxman interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or4Nq6fah1k , she came to my school to do a talk about the conservatives and just came across as having her head shoved right up Cameron's arse and not giving a **** about what's good for the constituency.

Ehh, I'm more concerned about the person than the party, I'll vote for whoever I think will represent the constituency best and has at least some chance of getting in (Polling at least 15%).

Every party around here does that, although I do recall the Lib Dems doing it more. It really ought to be illegal to have those charts out of scale but I doubt any party wants to expand the powers of the regulatory body which deals with that.

Ah right, yeah there are some MPs of other parties I would consider lending my vote for: Kate Hoey (Lab), Frank Field (Lab), Peter Bone (Con), Jacob Rees-Mogg (Con) but it does pain me because that is then seen as a vote for the national party and those group of MPs are way too good for the awful national parties and the leadership. Luckily though I don't have that dilemma although the drawback is that my seat is the strongest Labour seat in the country. :P

I would say in your case, unless the candidates for the main parties are superbly detatched from the national party and not looking for a career (which means you the electors will be put last rather than having a useful vocal backbench MP) then you'd have more influence by electing one of the smaller parties. A one out of four to eight Ukip MPs would have a big impact on national policy and it's the same for the Greens if you have one out of their say three MPs. Especially in a hung parliament with a possible 3-way Coalition where literally every single MP will count when it comes to votes.

I am and will only vote if ukip has a chance, so most likely no.

To tactically vote for them or against? Not much chance of that up there either way at the moment but you being in a Scottish seat if you are thinking of voting tactically, you'd have a big 'voice' (assuming you are a tactical voter) given the huge Labour-SNP switch going on atm.

Alysha
17-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Postal vote it is for me

scottish
17-03-2015, 02:16 PM
To tactically vote for them or against? Not much chance of that up there either way at the moment but you being in a Scottish seat if you are thinking of voting tactically, you'd have a big 'voice' (assuming you are a tactical voter) given the huge Labour-SNP switch going on atm.

Against, of course :P

James
17-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Not registered & probably won't vote. I'm so clueless about politics that I'll just be voting blind anyway.
If ukip wins though, I'm moving to Ireland.

Absently
17-03-2015, 05:49 PM
not registered here! i dont even know if i'd be allowed to register or vote anyway?? i wasn't registered back home either as it was just an annoyance with my name at the time and no id in that name

GommeInc
17-03-2015, 05:57 PM
not registered here! i dont even know if i'd be allowed to register or vote anyway?? i wasn't registered back home either as it was just an annoyance with my name at the time and no id in that name
You can register by going here :) If you're at Uni you are allowed to vote there but you should talk to whoever is in charge of voting on campus to ask where and how to vote as Universities seem to change their procedures all the time.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Absently
17-03-2015, 06:20 PM
You can register by going here :) If you're at Uni you are allowed to vote there but you should talk to whoever is in charge of voting on campus to ask where and how to vote as Universities seem to change their procedures all the time.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote
i'm not from the uk i just moved here a few months ago

oh just read im actually apparently eligible, thats pretty cool

Richie
17-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Nope I'm not british

As for the irish election, more than likely, have to get registered tho.

GommeInc
17-03-2015, 06:46 PM
I think you can vote in any general elections in the election if you've lived in the country for something like 3 or 6 months, but you'll have to take that with a pinch of salt :P

Absently
17-03-2015, 06:50 PM
i registered wish me luck (H)

lemons
17-03-2015, 06:51 PM
my 18th is in august so i will be too young -_-

17-03-2015, 07:24 PM
Not registered & probably won't vote. I'm so clueless about politics that I'll just be voting blind anyway.
If ukip wins though, I'm moving to Ireland.

The Republic of Ireland? The place where the political wing of the IRA - Sinn Fein - have been leading in the polls?

Out of the fire and into the....

James
17-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Out of the fire and into the....
Country where ukip doesn't blame gays for the weather

17-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Country where ukip doesn't blame gays for the weather

Oh yes, I mean Sinn Fein is only led by a terrorist and alleged murderer (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992470/New-Yorker-magazine-says-Adams-ordered-IRA-murders.html). :rolleyes:

James
17-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Oh yes, I mean Sinn Fein is only led by a terrorist and alleged murderer (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2992470/New-Yorker-magazine-says-Adams-ordered-IRA-murders.html). :rolleyes:
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/0/0/0/7/5/7/dbnmgjdcggggggggggggggg-43336157682.jpeg

I'm allowed my opinions and to go with what I'm doing. You're allowed to accept things sometimes :)

17-03-2015, 08:11 PM
I'm allowed my opinions and to go with what I'm doing. You're allowed to accept things sometimes :)

The right of expressing an opinion also comes with the right of others to call you out for those opinions. (h)

James
17-03-2015, 08:13 PM
The right of expressing an opinion also comes with the right of others to call you out for those opinions. (h)
The right of calling people out for their opinions doesn't come with the need to. You have opinions, I have opinions. Lets leave it there.

17-03-2015, 08:15 PM
The right of calling people out for their opinions doesn't come with the need to. You have opinions, I have opinions. Lets leave it there.

If those opinions are incoherent or the person making them is unaware of something they should know then yes it does.

James
17-03-2015, 08:22 PM
If those opinions are incoherent or the person making them is unaware of something they should know then yes it does.
So your natural human assumption is that everyone has the brain of a goldfish? I know about the IRA & the happenings. I used to volunteer in a building that was built over the memory of two students who were killed in the Warrington Bombings (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/20/newsid_2544000/2544121.stm) so sorry to disappoint you that I may know a little more than you expected. You'll make a fab country leader. You treat everyone like sheep and don't listen to peoples opinions, or always assume they're wrong. This is why I don't follow politics.

Done replying now. Bye

17-03-2015, 08:24 PM
So your natural human assumption is that everyone has the brain of a goldfish? I know about the IRA & the happenings. I used to volunteer in a building that was built over the memory of two students who were killed in the Warrington Bombings (http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/march/20/newsid_2544000/2544121.stm) so sorry to disappoint you that I may know a little more than you expected. You'll make a fab country leader. You treat everyone like sheep and don't listen to peoples opinions, or always assume they're wrong. This is why I don't follow politics.

Done replying now. Bye

If you know and care that much about the crimes of the IRA then you shouldn't prioritise the comments of a town councillor about gays and rainfall over them then, should you? But I think you are looking a little too much into what was an off the cuff remark so let's leave it there...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!