PDA

View Full Version : Is Bethany Hamilton Legit?

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 06:14 PM
DISCLAIMER: I am not denying a shark ripped her arm off, rather I am putting her story into question. Yes, I hate her character, but I praise her abilities and her continued perseverance. I'm making an effort to have a good thread, and I do not appreciate attacks, so please don't reply if you aren't willing to go out of your comfort zone and post in a civil matter. All quotes are taken from https://www.bethanyhamilton.com

BACKSTORY: Halloween 2003, Bethany and childhood friend Alana Blanchard decide to for an early swim in the deep ocean waves to chill out and see the turtles. While swimming on their boards, Bethany feels a "tug" on her surfboard and finds out she has had her arm bit off (Assuming it was a shark because she didn't know at the time.). Bethany lost over 60% of her blood, but claims she felt normal until she was enroute to the emergency room, when she was just feeling numb. Devoid of any mental trauma of the incident, she strives to learn to surf again immediately after recovery, and is a major celebrity athlete on TV and in competitions. Her anthology of memoirs, Soul Surfer, is adapted into a Hollywood film that has made millions of dollars to this day in the US. She has also starred on numerous other entertainment attractions such as: The Amazing Race, Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader, Dolphin Tale 2, etc. She also spends a great deal working with charities as you can see on her site. Oh and if you read the Daily News in the US you should know that she's surfing and skateboarding 6 months pregnant.

Bullet Points: -Called a girl a Christ killer with friends numerous times with her friends and told her she'd burn in hell. (Anonymous poster commented this on a blog January, 2004.
-How does a a shark bite you, rip your whole arm off, and you feel nothing?
-Why didn't she feel any pain, or anything, until she was rushed to the hospital?
-Numbness started enroute to hospital: Circulatory and physical shock starts here.
-No shock until you're going to the hospital? Was she on painkillers at the time to purposely block all pain?
-How come nobody at shore didn't use a telescope or communicate with nearby ships to look for sharks that could have helped people warn Bethany? Shortly after she was in the water, somebody saw a shark. Was this intentionally set up for a walk to fame and money?
-Obviously Bethany never cared to check despite her young age of 13 years.
-How much money, if any, has she donated to charities?
-Make a Wish Foundation statement: Doesn't mention donating money, just spends time with the kids. If she was donating millions, wouldn't these kids have replacement arms by now, like the amputees?
-From Soul Surfer alone, she has at least $30m. Why does she need so much money if she isn't donating it?

My take: A. She did the shark attack as a publicity stunt that went horribly wrong, and that losing an arm wasn't what she intended.
B. She did it on purpose for the money and fame.

Is she legit or not? Try and prove it to me.

FlyingJesus
31-03-2015, 06:32 PM
I don't think anyone plans on swimming with sharks in an attempt to make money, and it wouldn't be a story without the injury anyway since loads of people notice sharks while out surfing and it's just common practice to come back in - my brother in law has been nudged by passing sharks on his surfboard before, it's not a story in itself. She might not be a very nice person idk but lots of people aren't nice, doesn't mean that they lie about having their arms bitten off

Evanora
31-03-2015, 06:37 PM
i love bethany hamilton she is great child of the universe

how dare u accuse her of such things you should be ashamed of yourself

lemons
31-03-2015, 06:43 PM
this is the same guy who claimed anne frank is still alive lol

yes i loved bethany hamilton on amazing race she was a super star

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 06:44 PM
I completely understand she couldn't make money right off the bat, at least not like what Soul Surfer generated. She had interviews at first, but nothing crazy besides competitions. I brought out the publicity stunt idea because I was giving her the benefit of the doubt that she wasn't delusional and didn't decide to lose an arm on purpose. Point is: Injury still happened either way, though the publicity stunt would in theory have been for a quick media/newspaper story.

- - - Updated - - -

i love bethany hamilton she is great child of the universe

how dare u accuse her of such things you should be ashamed of yourself

Yes, I know she is not a completely bad person: She's the Oscar Pistorius of surfing and she's an activist for those who aren't as fortunate. I'm not spreading hatred to her, I'm just questioning her story/character.

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 06:59 PM
this is the same guy who claimed anne frank is still alive lol

yes i loved bethany hamilton on amazing race she was a super star

I gave solid points on that thread and was civilly debating until I was being attacked. I'm going to be revising that thread within the next week with an ETA of Saturday or Sunday, in EST.

Yep, Bethany was a superstar at physical challenges but she had zero mental ability at mental tasks. She definitely shined on the Leg 5 roadblock, Leg 2, the bridge task, Rappelling off the Blue Grotto cliff, and Basketball leg 11. She won only 3 legs, 2 of which were spoonfed to her via Express Pass, and a Fast Forward. Unfortunately, she and Adam came next to last all NEL's and came dead last at the finish line because she chose the roadblocks long on the last leg. She's average, I guess.

Ms.Aquamarine
31-03-2015, 07:01 PM
Bullet Points: -Called a girl a Christ killer with friends numerous times with her friends and told her she'd burn in hell. (Anonymous poster commented this on a blog January, 2004.

I'm guessing you saw this here: http://txfx.net/2004/01/14/enough-of-bethany-hamilton-already/

It seems like you haven't completely read her blog posts and other information on her website based on some of your bullet points.

I'll use this as an example: 'Why does she need so much money if she isn't donating it?'
http://bethanyhamilton.com/2011/12/12-days-of-giving/
http://bethanyhamilton.com/about/bethanys-blog/

Also hate is such a strong word my friend!

FlyingJesus
31-03-2015, 07:02 PM
the publicity stunt would in theory have been for a quick media/newspaper story.

Which wouldn't have happened at all since as explained, simply seeing a shark while surfing is not a newsworthy story. It's a completely bunk theory

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 07:16 PM
I'm not saying she isn't donating anything, I'm just saying she might not be donating personal money. She likely gets enough from all those sponsors and fundraisers. Yes, I got this anon comment from there, but it was made a few months after she lost her arm, she wasn't a national icon then so why would that person need to lie? Hate is a strong word, but I don't hate her in general, I just hate that she makes all this money after religiously insulting another her age many moons ago - I still love her ability to surf with one arm and that she's an activist for unfortunate people.

Publicity stun would follow: Shark tries to eat her alive but she escapes and lives to tell the tale. That would generate a small story.

FlyingJesus
31-03-2015, 07:17 PM
No it would not, and it wouldn't require actually going near a shark if she was planning to falsify it anyway

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 07:28 PM
If you loo through a telescope or ask fishermen/ships, you could find out if there are sharks, hence she probably knew there was a shark ahead of time and surfed near it's path. If she used anything fake she'd be making it obvious. But come on: She's already daring enough to surf one-armed and surf/skateboard 6 months pregnant - would this really be out of character?

FlyingJesus
31-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Yes because it's stupid, like this theory

And you can't just cry "I'M BEING ATTACKED!" when you're shown to be wrong about stuff. That's even more stupid than this theory

Ms.Aquamarine
31-03-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm not saying she isn't donating anything, I'm just saying she might not be donating personal money. She likely gets enough from all those sponsors and fundraisers. Yes, I got this anon comment from there, but it was made a few months after she lost her arm, she wasn't a national icon then so why would that person need to lie? Hate is a strong word, but I don't hate her in general, I just hate that she makes all this money after religiously insulting another her age many moons ago - I still love her ability to surf with one arm and that she's an activist for unfortunate people.

It doesn't matter if she might not or might not be donating 'personal' money. At the end of the day, instead of keeping all money for herself (which isn't wrong to do at all anyways - it is her money and her own business) she donates because she wants to.

She received a lot of recognition around the world late 2003, so there were (and still are) people who would just toss out whatever they want to say. Even if it was absolutely true that she did say those things when she was younger - the past is in the past. People do change!

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Yeah and she could be donating with just sponsor/fundraiser money. Fact is: If she was donating a fortune to all these kids, they wouldn't be armless. Her personal money is the millions she gets from Soul Surfer, competitions, TAR, interviews, profit from the kickstarter for her new movie. Clearly she isn't donating millions since she gets the donation money from sponsors/fundraisers.

FlyingJesus: I specifically stated in my disclaimer that if you can't be civil then don't post. You want elsewise? Go elsewhere.

FlyingJesus
31-03-2015, 08:42 PM
I am being civil, you're the one being ridiculous and refusing to accept facts that don't fit with your daft ideas. Disagreeing with you is not being rude, and if you just want to post nonsense and have everyone tell you how clever you are then maybe you want a primary school class rather than an actual discussion

MightyMagician
31-03-2015, 09:09 PM
I am discussing it, and I'm making refutations. And my assertions do fit, you don't agree. Goodbye.

FlyingJesus
01-04-2015, 12:41 AM
No darling what you're doing is disregarding all logic and facts in order to promote a theory that has absolutely no axis anywhere near reality, and then crying when people say you're wrong. Your version of the story runs thusly:

-Ms Hamilton wants to be famous for 5 minutes
-For some reason thinks that a shark attack story is the best way to get fame
-Can't fake it and can't lie for some unknown magical reason and if you disagree PERSONAL ATTACK, so has to find a shark and run at it then get away and that will definitely be a good story with no risk at all
-Goes surfing near shark on purpose with the intention of getting away unharmed and... claiming it is a newsworthy story even though it definitely isn't? Yeah sure we'll go with this

Nothing you are claiming makes any sense at all. There's no motive for anything you're claiming. Take the tin foil hat off

Andings
01-04-2015, 01:13 AM
Before I start picking text out and ripping into some of it (as that's the way I debate things) I have a question to ask Tallcoolguy700;. Why in the world do you think this was all staged? I suppose that plane that crashed in France, that was planned... like all the passengers knew what they were getting into... MH370, they knew what they were getting into... you sir, are an idiot!

-Called a girl a Christ killer with friends numerous times with her friends and told her she'd burn in hell. (Anonymous poster commented this on a blog January, 2004).
So I guess if I commented on a blog saying she was coming onto me, wanting to desperately get in my pants, then I guess that is fact too, hey?

-No shock until you're going to the hospital? Was she on painkillers at the time to purposely block all pain?
Look at it this way... you've just lost your arm and are destined to scream in shock. Ambo's probably gave her the Green whistle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxyflurane).

-How come nobody at shore didn't use a telescope or communicate with nearby ships to look for sharks that could have helped people warn Bethany? Shortly after she was in the water, somebody saw a shark. Was this intentionally set up for a walk to fame and money?
Are you ******* kidding me mate? Yes... she totally decided "ooo look, a shark, let me go and loose my arm, potentially my life, just for fame".

-How much money, if any, has she donated to charities?
Tons. More than you ever have.

Yes, I know she is not a completely bad person: She's the Oscar Pistorius of surfing and she's an activist for those who aren't as fortunate. I'm not spreading hatred to her, I'm just questioning her story/character.
Referring to an innocent human as "the Oscar Pistorius of surfing" is a very rude comment. Oscar was found guilty of killing someone... about all Bethany is guilty of, is living her life with one arm gone.

Publicity stun would follow: Shark tries to eat her alive but she escapes and lives to tell the tale. That would generate a small story.
........... le sigh.

If you loo through a telescope or ask fishermen/ships, you could find out if there are sharks, hence she probably knew there was a shark ahead of time and surfed near it's path. If she used anything fake she'd be making it obvious. But come on: She's already daring enough to surf one-armed and surf/skateboard 6 months pregnant - would this really be out of character?
So you can see a shark, deep under the water, from shore? Good going mate!

I am discussing it, and I'm making refutations. And my assertions do fit, you don't agree. Goodbye.
You're the one who should be saying goodbye for these ******ed accusations with no proof to back up your statements. You sir, are an idiot. Good day to you.

MightyMagician
01-04-2015, 07:50 PM
No darling what you're doing is disregarding all logic and facts in order to promote a theory that has absolutely no axis anywhere near reality, and then crying when people say you're wrong. Your version of the story runs thusly:

-Ms Hamilton wants to be famous for 5 minutes
-For some reason thinks that a shark attack story is the best way to get fame
-Can't fake it and can't lie for some unknown magical reason and if you disagree PERSONAL ATTACK, so has to find a shark and run at it then get away and that will definitely be a good story with no risk at all
-Goes surfing near shark on purpose with the intention of getting away unharmed and... claiming it is a newsworthy story even though it definitely isn't? Yeah sure we'll go with this

Nothing you are claiming makes any sense at all. There's no motive for anything you're claiming. Take the tin foil hat off

I'm going to pick this apart piece by piece.
-It takes more than 5 minutes to write articles for a multitude of sources, she'd at most have a day of fame and she would be interviewed on national television
-She probably felt she wouldn't be a relevant figure in the surfing community, so she had to think of a way. Am I denying it's a crazy idea? Nope, but she obviously must have thought it would work.
-I was giving an A and B option, which I gave an explanation as to how she would have known there was a shark for both scenarios, neither was left to chance. Of course it's risky, but people do crazy things for attention.
-If it worked, people would praise her for making something ripped from Jaws, she's worried about fame, not her well being. And this would make a newsworthy article, because it's Halloween, remember?

My theory makes sense and there is a clear motive for both scenarios. Take the tinfoil hat off? Nice to see you can't post without being rude.

FlyingJesus
01-04-2015, 08:56 PM
There's only one point that matters

-It's a stupid theory attacking someone's character with absolutely no evidence or proper reasoning

MightyMagician
01-04-2015, 08:58 PM
Before I start picking text out and ripping into some of it (as that's the way I debate things) I have a question to ask @Tallcoolguy700 (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=77218);. Why in the world do you think this was all staged? I suppose that plane that crashed in France, that was planned... like all the passengers knew what they were getting into... MH370, they knew what they were getting into... you sir, are an idiot!

So I guess if I commented on a blog saying she was coming onto me, wanting to desperately get in my pants, then I guess that is fact too, hey?

Look at it this way... you've just lost your arm and are destined to scream in shock. Ambo's probably gave her the Green whistle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methoxyflurane).

Are you ******* kidding me mate? Yes... she totally decided "ooo look, a shark, let me go and loose my arm, potentially my life, just for fame".

Tons. More than you ever have.

Referring to an innocent human as "the Oscar Pistorius of surfing" is a very rude comment. Oscar was found guilty of killing someone... about all Bethany is guilty of, is living her life with one arm gone.

........... le sigh.

So you can see a shark, deep under the water, from shore? Good going mate!

You're the one who should be saying goodbye for these ******ed accusations with no proof to back up your statements. You sir, are an idiot. Good day to you.

I'm questioning this because Bethany gained a lot more than what she lost, and the circumstances of the attack just do not fit with her account of what actually transpired.

-Irrelevant.
-By Bethany'sown admission, she felt normal, meaning no pain. Normally this would mean circulatory shock took place, which includes numbness. The numbness only started when she was in the ambulance. Meaning she used painkillers before she lost her arm. The numbness was the start of shock because she had lost over half her blood by that point. As for mental trauma: None. If she was traumatized enough to scream in fear, she'd stop surfing after recovery. In Bethany's case, she was asking how fast it would be for her to start again.
-That's the whole reason why I'm posting, her memoir gets a movie, it makes millions.
-She hasn't donated millions. So many kids would have replacement arms if she did. She's just using hr sponsor money and fundraiser money to donate.
-As far as I'm concerned Bethany and Oscar have one thing in common: They both do/did compete without an arm/legs, and did it well. Whether or not Oscar purposely murdered Reva, is another story.
-You don't know how to argue my theory and you disagree with it so you sarcastically sigh.
-Yeah, you use a telescope or you contact fisherman/ships. It's that simple.
-Swearing at me isn't helping your case, Bethany's story makes no sense. Am I really an idiot for questioning it?

FlyingJesus
01-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Bethany gained a lot more than what she lost

Now I know you're trolling

MightyMagician
01-04-2015, 09:00 PM
There's only one point that matters

-It's a stupid theory attacking someone's character with absolutely no evidence or proper reasoning

I've explained it in plain English. You're the one refusing to believe her tragedy because you don't want to question it without proof.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I know you're trolling

She's able to live her life easily without her arm. As shown on The Amazing Race, it's not a serious disability, just missing substance.

FlyingJesus
01-04-2015, 09:08 PM
People do not purposely get attacked by sharks. You have absolutely no reason to believe that she or anyone else would do this. You are baselessly attempting a character assassination of a young girl and refusing to accept any and all facts about the case. What you've explained is your ability to repeat yourself and ignore truth. I don't know if you're deliberately being daft for kicks or if you actually suffer from some sort of brain damage but nothing that you've claimed holds up in any way, and pretending that anyone other than you is saying something that "doesn't add up" is ludicrous

MightyMagician
01-04-2015, 09:13 PM
People do not purposely get attacked by sharks. You have absolutely no reason to believe that she or anyone else would do this. You are baselessly attempting a character assassination of a young girl and refusing to accept any and all facts about the case. What you've explained is your ability to repeat yourself and ignore truth. I don't know if you're deliberately being daft for kicks or if you actually suffer from some sort of brain damage but nothing that you've claimed holds up in any way, and pretending that anyone other than you is saying something that "doesn't add up" is ludicrous

And you have yet to prove how my points are illogical.

FlyingJesus
01-04-2015, 09:21 PM
BECAUSE PEOPLE DO NOT PURPOSELY GET ATTACKED BY SHARKS seriously just read the thread I've given you many many points of contention because nothing that you're saying is at all reasonable

MightyMagician
01-04-2015, 09:42 PM
BECAUSE PEOPLE DO NOT PURPOSELY GET ATTACKED BY SHARKS seriously just read the thread I've given you many many points of contention because nothing that you're saying is at all reasonable

Just because you think it's unreasonable doesn't mean it unbelievable.

FlyingJesus
01-04-2015, 10:48 PM
You are seriously suggesting that a 13 year old purposely sought out a shark (which isn't even possible without professional equipment) and then went into the water with it, taking a friend along, for the sole purpose of then getting away from it and telling people about the experience? You really think that that's in any way a viable story?

MightyMagician
02-04-2015, 04:11 PM
You are seriously suggesting that a 13 year old purposely sought out a shark (which isn't even possible without professional equipment) and then went into the water with it, taking a friend along, for the sole purpose of then getting away from it and telling people about the experience? You really think that that's in any way a viable story?

You use a telescope to see long distance. If a shark is in that view, it shows in the water. Otherwise you get a ship to check. Even if it's no for a publicity stunt, no possible way it was an accident. circulatory shock started in the ambulance and she felt nothing when she lost her arm.

FlyingJesus
02-04-2015, 04:24 PM
That is not how sharks are detected, and no 13 year old is going to have the resources or forethought to contact a specialist ship that may or may not be in the area to check for sharks before going swimming. "No possible way it was an accident" you say, except that the truth is that there is no possible way that it wasn't - again, people do not go out looking to get attacked by sharks for fun and profit

MightyMagician
02-04-2015, 05:14 PM
That is not how sharks are detected, and no 13 year old is going to have the resources or forethought to contact a specialist ship that may or may not be in the area to check for sharks before going swimming. "No possible way it was an accident" you say, except that the truth is that there is no possible way that it wasn't - again, people do not go out looking to get attacked by sharks for fun and profit
Yes it is possible. Hawaii is in the middle of the ocean, tons of ships would be nearby. You can't just say it's all impossible because you don't agree.

FlyingJesus
02-04-2015, 11:18 PM
So according to you, everything that's in any way possible is the exact truth even if it's highly improbable with no logic or precedence. Britain is surrounded by water but I wouldn't have the knowhow or clearance to randomly contact a fishing ship and ask if they could do a random scan for sharks, it's fully stupid

MightyMagician
04-04-2015, 11:26 PM
So according to you, everything that's in any way possible is the exact truth even if it's highly improbable with no logic or precedence. Britain is surrounded by water but I wouldn't have the knowhow or clearance to randomly contact a fishing ship and ask if they could do a random scan for sharks, it's fully stupid

Your replies are physically nauseating, especially because you're in denial about the science of shock. If Bethany really was the victim of a tiger shark purely by accident, she's shown absolutely no sign of it. She's made serious strides to dramatise Soul Surfer as if she was traumatized herself, which mental trauma is a blatant lie. Someone who writes a memoir must have experienced a great deal, but seeing as sh didn't experience any mental trauma herself, you have to consider circulatory shock, which occurred in the ambulance. It's a done deal, she wanted to profit from her injury. Second: There are cruise ships, fishing ships (EG: Deadliest Catch), and ferry ships. Bethany could have researched ways to contact said ships a long time prior to the day in question, which is why it wouldn't have taken long to find word of a shark within short surfing distance, and Alana is great friends with Bethany, she likely knew also. So let's assume we drop the publicity stunt - that doesn't mean she didn't do it on purpose, and that would still get her national attention and the money she wants. She probably has ADD (And she actually fits the criteria for most of the mental symptoms), which includes obsessively craving attention to fill the mental void people with the disease have. One can conclude that she felt her career wouldn't fill in that void and she took desperate measures to change that.

FlyingJesus
04-04-2015, 11:43 PM
No sign of being a victim of a shark attack... except for that pesky business about her arm being bitten off. What planet are you on

MightyMagician
04-04-2015, 11:48 PM
No sign of being a victim of a shark attack... except for that pesky business about her arm being bitten off. What planet are you on
I said purely by accident. Are you even making an effort to read my posts? To think you have the tenacity to say I'm trolling. :rolleyes:

FlyingJesus
05-04-2015, 12:44 AM
So we're back to the ridiculous notion that you think someone would go looking for a shark to slap up against with no protection for giggles. Right.

MightyMagician
07-04-2015, 02:43 PM
So we're back to the ridiculous notion that you think someone would go looking for a shark to slap up against with no protection for giggles. Right.
I'm saying she wanted to lose her arm on purpose. ADD people crave attention and don't succeed at mental tasks. They go to desperate measures to fill that void. In Bethany's case, she likely felt that at age 13, her career wasn't bringing her anywhere big. She probably lost her arm on purpose to gain attention and fill her own void by showing she's physically strong, and can surf like a pro without an arm. Oh and it also has made her a millionaire.

FlyingJesus
07-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Don't succeed at mental tasks but managed to successfully seek out a shark when no-one else had noted it, timed her visit to the beach and location in the water to perfectly match where the shark would be, and somehow suckered it into biting her just where she wanted and then got away calmly. Ok.

thms
07-04-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm saying she wanted to lose her arm on purpose. ADD people crave attention and don't succeed at mental tasks. They go to desperate measures to fill that void. In Bethany's case, she likely felt that at age 13, her career wasn't bringing her anywhere big. She probably lost her arm on purpose to gain attention and fill her own void by showing she's physically strong, and can surf like a pro without an arm. Oh and it also has made her a millionaire.

*REMOVED*

Edited by mdport. (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to forum members!

Thread Closed to prevent further arguments and rule breaks~

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!