PDA

View Full Version : Seniors.

-Nick
01-04-2015, 11:27 AM
I saw roughly a couple of weeks ago Shonly; disapproved of someone having 2+ management positions so they can concentrate on one department at a time. But I think certainly Senior's should have no more then 2 positions in senior role as they just lose the concentration on the department. If the had 1 senior role they could put more effort and make the department stronger instead of having 4 weaker departments.

If there were 4 departments A, B, C, D and Matt was the senior for all:
A = Matt = 25% effort
B = Matt = 25% effort
C = Matt = 25% effort
D = Matt = 25% effort
totalling: 100% effort.

However if it was:
A = Matt = 100% effort
B = Steve = 100% effort
C = Jeff = 100% effort
D = Chris = 100% effort
totalling: 400% effort.

Just seem's that you will get a better output if there was 4 different seniors compared to just the one. In a real life perspective, if Tim Cook was the only person running all the departments of Apple (Support, Factory's, Shop's etc), I doubt the company would go anywhere as it each individual department needs concentration.

Thoughts?

Chris
01-04-2015, 11:31 AM
I sort of see where you are coming from but generally there isn't a problem with people having multiple senior roles. It's also not as easy as you think to find separate people for different roles. It just comes down to who is suitable for the job.

Drew
01-04-2015, 11:56 AM
I can't speak for everyone else, but in Graphics, the way things work is that the senior does most of the tedious administrative jobs while the manager focuses on "making the department stronger". That's not to say that the senior isn't encouraged to help with events or suggest ideas, but in general, it's the amount of effort put in by the manager that determines whether the department progresses or not. So yes, I agree that someone should not have multiple managerial roles. I don't mind if my senior has multiple roles though - Zealoux; is doing a fine job at the moment juggling Senior Graphics Designer, Senior Pixel Artist and Head DJ. At the end of the day, you'd hope that someone would have the decency to step down or resign if they know they're not contributing enough.

Inseriousity.
01-04-2015, 11:58 AM
By that logic, we'd have to move to a '1 department only' policy because you're only putting 50% effort in :P
choose comps

Bloop
01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
dont u dare target tommy ill bite you

Brad
01-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I am going to target those in 4+ departments. (Only because I've been there before...) I honestly do not see how people can invest that much time to a fansite, and in the long run; how much are actually doing something for the better. I do agree with Nick on this one.
Maybe not the 1 department only, but if you're getting more responsibility then it should be mandatory for people to balance out their workload.. I know when I was manager and just a normal staff, it actually was difficult to invest in the other department.

Bloop
01-04-2015, 12:21 PM
dont agm like take care of almost 5 departments? and gm take care of all.

damn chris ure not giving ur 100% bye

in all seriousness, there are minimums to abide to. if u can cope, why not? they will have to go if they cant devote time anyway

Empired
01-04-2015, 12:22 PM
I see the logic but think it's a little daft in practice. No one can define 100% effort in a voluntary Habbox role. For some people, 100% effort means doing their minimums and doing them to the best of their ability, for other people 100% effort means no sleep ever.
There is not a simple sum that goes
(1) person divided by number of departments (4) they're in = amount of effort into each department (25%)
that's just not how it works lol

If a manager thinks a senior's effort is declining because they're in too many roles, they can voice their concerns. If they see no difference, there's no need for a change.

lawrawrrr
01-04-2015, 12:32 PM
If someone can do the workload, let them do it! I guess the manager rule is because managers are expected to put in a lot more time cos running is harder (the step from senior to manager is huge), but senior roles are usually a lot similar to staff, with a few extra responsibilities.

If someone was slacking at their role(s), whether they have 1 or 6, they'd be fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sho
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
If a Senior isn't pulling their weight then the manager should pick up on it and sort it out. In 2014 I was Asst Comps Manager, Head DJ, Head News Reporter and a Senior EO at the same time, but it doesn't mean that I only put 25% effort into each department. If someone has the time to handle the workload, then I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed to. :P

-:Undertaker:-
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
The thinking is flawed because people don't put in as much effort as others as well as the fact that changes over time, so 50% effort by one person may be equal to or more than 100% effort by another. We haven't needed limits in the past and we don't need yet more awkward and pointless rules introduced now.

No restrictions of any kind. Do it as we have always done, on a case by case basis.

Lewis
01-04-2015, 04:26 PM
I agree that you should only be the manager of one department (even if they can handle the workload, their full focus should be put on that one individual department and not also managing a second)

but I think what you're saying is a bit too far and just introduces too many limits.

Reality
01-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Is this because you didn't get Senior Content Designer?

In action this wouldn't work, but on paper it sounds like it would. As everyone has previously said there is no restrictions to the amount of positions in Habbox you can have or that how many Senior positions you can have. If you don't let someone take on more than 2 senior positions when a department see's fit that person could fulfil the role, but oh wait... they're already Senior in 2 other departments, it means that the department isn't able to give it to anyone else because there's no one to give it too.

In short, no we don't need to restrict how many departments a person can be in as a Senior.

Bobozia
01-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Completely agree with Nick. People constantly have reasons why they can't do their role due to holidays etc. If the same person is a senior is different departments, then all the departments take a hit when that person is away. If each person can only have one senior role, then it means that yes, one department will still take a hit - but the rest of them can still carry on as normal.

Empired
01-04-2015, 05:08 PM
Completely agree with Nick. People constantly have reasons why they can't do their role due to holidays etc. If the same person is a senior is different departments, then all the departments take a hit when that person is away. If each person can only have one senior role, then it means that yes, one department will still take a hit - but the rest of them can still carry on as normal.
But all departments would take a hit because there are not enough staff capable of keeping up a senior role so some departments would simply have to do without.

Bobozia
01-04-2015, 05:15 PM
i think the problem is that some people just arent confident enough to apply for the roles. Im not saying this is the case for every role - but im sure there are plenty of staff who, with right guidance, could make exceptional seniors - but just don't apply to be one.

Empired
01-04-2015, 05:20 PM
i think the problem is that some people just arent confident enough to apply for the roles. Im not saying this is the case for every role - but im sure there are plenty of staff who, with right guidance, could make exceptional seniors - but just don't apply to be one.
To be honest if you're not confident enough with management/habboxforum users/the forum then you're not really gonna make an exceptional senior. The best seniors are the people who are an active part of the community.

Bobozia
01-04-2015, 05:43 PM
You can be an active member of the department and the forum without being confident about your chances of gaining the role of senior, which is what puts some people off

-:Undertaker:-
01-04-2015, 06:04 PM

Erm, this is a fansite where people volunteer their time.

If they were being paid then maybe you could demand 24/7 attention, 9 to 5 days and 2 weeks holiday a year maximum but it isn't. Perspective.

Alysha
01-04-2015, 06:22 PM
If this is to do with Tommy, it's rather petty.

Personally, and I'm obviously biased, if someone can cope with the workload, I don't see the issue. Each role has different requirements, and for example, I can work on a graphic at the same time as djing. I can write feedback for one department then move onto the other, I'm not restricted to focusing on one of the three departments I'm in.

lawrawrrr
01-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Most departments don't have applications for seniors! Off the top of my head, HxL is the only one that has for the last few years. It's usually chosen by the manager/AGM who pick on merit alone. Some staff are always gonna be more confident than others but I work really hard (with my managers doing a fantastic job too at the moment) at encouraging all staff to bump up that standard and interaction which makes for a good Senior.

Bobozia
01-04-2015, 07:00 PM
Erm, this is a fansite where people volunteer their time.

If they were being paid then maybe you could demand 24/7 attention, 9 to 5 days and 2 weeks holiday a year maximum but it isn't. Perspective.

exactly, so we have to accept people won't be able to constantly be around.

Kimmy
01-04-2015, 08:25 PM

If a department falters the moment a Senior can't do their work, then the manager needs to reconsider the role altogether. The point of a senior is to assist and aid the manager (or in HxL's case, Head DJ) in some of the admin stuff; not balance the whole department on their shoulders.
If a person is both dedicated and willing, then I see absolutely no problems with it. It's so hard to find decent staff these days, and if a person can excel elsewhere, then why not everywhere? If they can handle it, massive kudos to them for being able to do so.

As Alysha said, if this is to do with Tommy then it is rather petty. Tommy is doing fantastically in all of his roles, and I can vouch for him majorly with HabboxLive. I'm pretty sure the other managers thought so too when they promoted him.

welshcake
02-04-2015, 01:46 AM
Yeah I agree. Fire everyone who is in more than 1 senior position.

Kyle
02-04-2015, 02:02 AM
Every community dept has had senior apps open in the last 2 years

Seniors are essentially now normal staff with administrative duties. Senior staff used to contribute greatly to development and marketing of departments but in recent years that has clearly declined. If we look at the amount of times applications for management have been open to outsiders as an alternative to hiring from within the department we can see that grooming seniors to be leaders is no longer a thing and management of staff has lost all humanness. Staff are just objects to be processed, if someone resigns U get another one in, if that person resigns, u get another. The only staff that are left are the ones content with stagnancy because if they resign what else do they have?

If seniors had more to contribute to their teams then it would perhaps be reasonable to restrict them, but as it is they don't have enough responsibility to need to prioritise their energy.

Samantha
02-04-2015, 02:31 AM
Every community dept has had senior apps open in the last 2 years

Seniors are essentially now normal staff with administrative duties. Senior staff used to contribute greatly to development and marketing of departments but in recent years that has clearly declined. If we look at the amount of times applications for management have been open to outsiders as an alternative to hiring from within the department we can see that grooming seniors to be leaders is no longer a thing and management of staff has lost all humanness. Staff are just objects to be processed, if someone resigns U get another one in, if that person resigns, u get another. The only staff that are left are the ones content with stagnancy because if they resign what else do they have?

If seniors had more to contribute to their teams then it would perhaps be reasonable to restrict them, but as it is they don't have enough responsibility to need to prioritise their energy.

Competitions hasn't as far as I know :P.

I don't think there is any need to limit the amount of senior positions someone has, if they're doing what is required of them then I see no point stopping someone who is obviously the best for the job at the time to take on more work. It's up to the seniors themselves to say they can't handle it, not someone who can't see it from their point of view. Of course if they begin to lack in a role they have, it might seem like it is because of how many senior roles they currently have and that would be questioned.

I can only speak from my experience with seniors, and currently Expling is one of the best seniors I have ever had, and linking on to what you said Kyle, he does a bit of the admin work, but one of his other roles is to ensure that staff are happy, either new or old and he has worked so hard on recruiting new ones too! I do agree that this might have declined in recent years, with some just wanting a promotion, or some just wanting to just do that extra bit of work that comes with the job. In theory, a senior is going to manage the department if you are away or on limited activity, they should be able to do a fair amount of work in the department and if they can handle that in more than one department then that's fine by me. Sorry if I sound biased, but some of the seniors I have worked with, off the top of my head, Tommy, Shoned, laura, all had multiple senior roles when I was the manager, and they all worked fine!

You need to consider what senior roles a person has as well, like Zealoux; said I think, she can DJ and do graphics at the same time, you can do a lot of things together and it kills two birds with one stone!

Limiting an amount of roles someone can have is fine, but again you don't know what they can handle. When I received my 5th role, yeah I was a bit weary and was planning to resign from one of them, but you need to trial something before you can see if it works or not I think. If you don't take risks Inseriousity.;) how would you know what works and what doesn't? Currently, I won't be reducing the roles I have, I enjoy my departments and I believe I'm doing the work required of me in them all, it all depends on the departments you're in though. We are volunteers at the end of the day, and management will realise if quality and production slip in a department! Remember we all have the option to resign if we believe we're not doing our best, and surely we should be able to figure that out on our own?

-Nick
02-04-2015, 11:32 AM
I think some people are forgetting that these are minimums but you can go over these, so if there is one senior for 4 departments within doubts unless they are spending 24/7 on Habbox doing work, they won't be going the extra mile. Whereas you could have 4 seniors all going the extra mile. Also if anyone says there is nobody, I know atleast 1/4 of each of the habbox workforce's would be dedicated enough to have a more senor role.

Empired
02-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I think some people are forgetting that these are minimums but you can go over these, so if there is one senior for 4 departments within doubts unless they are spending 24/7 on Habbox doing work, they won't be going the extra mile. Whereas you could have 4 seniors all going the extra mile. Also if anyone says there is nobody, I know atleast 1/4 of each of the habbox workforce's would be dedicated enough to have a more senor role.
I don't think anyone has 4 senior roles do they? Also, if someone is a senior in just one department it still doesn't guarantee they will want to put in more work than the absolute minimum. You need to stop assuming all people are robots who all work at the same pace.

Kyle
02-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Outline what you think is required of seniors in each department and why you think people aren't up to it if they have other roles

lawrawrrr
02-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Nick you just don't get it

If someone isn't doing their role as senior they will be disciplined and asked to step down! I know I make sure I'm keeping up with what all senior staff especially are doing, to make sure they're doing that extra step up from normal staff because it's a role to earn, not just walk into.

And I'm extremely happy to say that the seniors we do have in Content depts do a FANTASTIC job. Plus, there are more people in the departments that don't have a senior role that still go that extra mile - we do notice them - and they're the ones who get the rewards and are more likely to get a promotion if and when a spot comes around.

Choosing seniors is a very difficult job as quite a lot of the time they do go on to manage that department, so it's crucial to pick someone who can do that workload, has demonstrated sufficient skill (tbh, more skilled than we'd expect normal staff to be), willingness, trustworthiness, and that extra touch that makes a good senior, well, a good senior.

If there's no one who fulfils all those criteria, then unless the department is struggling and desperately needs someone to help out with admin, we don't hire a senior. I've denied senior requests to almost every manager that's been under me during my time as AGM for that reason - and I've discussed (almost) every promotion and possible promotion in huge depth, weighing up ALL of the pros and cons.

Yes, amount of roles is a con, but that's why we keep a closer eye on what ALL seniors (no matter how many jobs they have) do, because their role is so much more crucial to Habbox than a regular staff member.

I hope this pretty much answers all your questions.

Cody
03-04-2015, 12:02 PM
I see what you're saying as well but if the person working in those departments are busting their butts then I think they should be able to! But as soon as you see them start slacking warn them and give them the warnings and if they can't handle it then they'll get let go!

Landon
04-04-2015, 02:21 AM
I see what you're saying as well but if the person working in those departments are busting their butts then I think they should be able to! But as soon as you see them start slacking warn them and give them the warnings and if they can't handle it then they'll get let go!

I agree. It's their decision, and if they are willing to bust some butt, then go for it! If you can't hold together your positions, resign.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!