PDA

View Full Version : Should compulsory voting be introduced?

-:Undertaker:-
14-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Should compulsory voting be introduced?

http://www.cityam.com/sites/default/files/sites/default/files/content-editors/images/u41685/Voter-turnout-since-1945-in-the-UK-UK_chartbuilder%20%281%29.png

Given the Great British General Election is 25 days away at the time of me writing this thread, there is the real possibility that the voter turnout for this election could dip below the recent history election turnout lows of the 60% range: although given the tightness of the election as well as the better prospects for the smaller parties such Ukip, the SNP and the Greens we could see a rise this time. However, the trend from the graph above is very clear and turnout continues to fall as voters are increasingly turning off to what politicians and the media have to say.

In Local Election we often now have turnout of 20%, with Police and Crime Commissioner elections around the 10% mark. The poll turnout for European Elections (a PR form of voting meaning every vote counts) also has not made any difference with a complete collapse in voter turnout for those elections. In response, many have advocated compulsory voting: meaning that voters who do not turn out to vote are fined by the government a sum of around £500 to £1,000. Advocates of this argue that everybody should have a say in the formation of governments/councils, where as opponents would argue that the right not to vote is just as important to vote.

But what about you? Do you have any other arguments for or against and do you believe it should be introduced in the United Kingdom?

There are plenty of nifty prizes to be won within this forum and within the coming weeks we'll hopefully have some new awards and prizes to be won in this forum and beyond. Focus on putting a good argument forward, try to be controversial and you'll be rewarded!

The debate is open to you.

scottish
14-04-2015, 05:36 PM
No that would be silly, then people would vote for people based on the fact that they need to and not because they want them in power.

If anyone is interested in who's running the country then they'll go to votes, but they're all as bad as each other so no-one really cares much for it.

If people want to do it, they will. Look at our independence referendum the turnout for that was what about 85.9% or something iirc?

lawrawrrr
14-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Absolutely not. There are plenty of young people not interested in politics - at the last general election I was almost 18 and some of my friends were eligible to vote. I wouldn't have voted if I could have because I simply wasn't educated enough to make a decision like that.

Part of free speech is being able to make the decision to abstain as well - lots of people deliberately choose not to vote as part of a powerful and informed decision (although it may not effect anything in the long-term, bigger picture). Just because you'd be increasing the AMOUNT of voters it doesn't mean there's much (if any) more active participation and interaction - a lot of people sitll won't be interested and just go in to tick a ballot box.

I do like the idea of making elections more accessible to all and creating tools and interacting to make them genuinely interesting - that way you're much more likely to have a completely fair vote from the real people of the UK. Unwilling voters do not make for a better democracy.

ajs406
25-04-2015, 09:23 PM
I don't think it should be forced however i do believe it should be encouraged a lot more, especially in school which should also teach students about current affairs once they get into higher years.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!