PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on non-domiciles

Firehorse
04-05-2015, 10:09 AM
I want to see what people think about non-doms following the attack on them by a certain politician.

Without giving you the real facts that might change your opinions, I want to know what perception you have at the current period in time, 3 days before election day.

Feel free to openly discuss the real facts, and what you perceive to be the real facts too.

FlyingJesus
04-05-2015, 01:14 PM
There's no such thing as opinion when there are clear cut facts and figures, just being right or being wrong

Kyle
04-05-2015, 01:15 PM
What is a non dom

Firehorse
04-05-2015, 01:55 PM
There's no such thing as opinion when there are clear cut facts and figures, just being right or being wrong

Yes there is...

Non-doms have had a negative light shone on them by Mr Miliband to sway public opinion to be unfavourable towards the non-dom rule.

I'm interested in seeing how many people's opinions have been swayed by Ed Miliband saying non-doms pay no tax here, and if they believe him.

What is a non dom

A non-domicile is a person of foreign nationality who is settled in a country in which they do not hold nationality.

If they earn money abroad they do not pay tax on that income in the UK, but any money they earn in the UK they pay tax on at the same rate as everybody else.

If their foreign earnings are above £2000 per annum they must declare it to HMRC and they are often required to pay a lump sum fee of £30,000 per year to be based here.

The same rule applies in reverse: If you are a UK citizen but you leave the UK then you pay tax in the country you have moved to but not the UK. If the non-dom rule was abolished it would mean 115,000 non-doms based here and the 2+ million British citizens living abroad being double taxed on their income.

FlyingJesus
04-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Believing in lies is not an opinion, it's just being wrong about stuff. Calling it an opinion gives it some degree of validation where there is none

Firehorse
04-05-2015, 06:03 PM
Believing in lies is not an opinion, it's just being wrong about stuff. Calling it an opinion gives it some degree of validation where there is none

If I think non-doms are bad for Britain and the non-dom rule should be removed, then that is an opinion.

If I think non-doms are good for Britain and the rule shouldn't be interfered with, then that is also an opinion.

-:Undertaker:-
04-05-2015, 06:27 PM
In my eyes, the more tax our wasteful government is deprived of then the better: spending needs reigning in.

Government should be spending no more than 35% of GDP. And even then that's absurdly high.

FlyingJesus
04-05-2015, 06:37 PM
If I think non-doms are bad for Britain and the non-dom rule should be removed, then that is an opinion.

If I think non-doms are good for Britain and the rule shouldn't be interfered with, then that is also an opinion.

Then that's what you should have put as the poll instead of something that isn't debatable

Firehorse
04-05-2015, 08:22 PM
In my eyes, the more tax our wasteful government is deprived of then the better: spending needs reigning in.

Government should be spending no more than 35% of GDP. And even then that's absurdly high.

But that would only lead to a bigger deficit, especially under Labour.

£8bn goes missing from tax revenue because we got rid of the non-dom rule? No biggie, just borrow more to make up for it, or raise taxes for everybody else.

Then that's what you should have put as the poll instead of something that isn't debatable

Whether you perceive something as fair or not still counts as opinion, and whether it is perceived as fair or unfair was the question, along with the perception of non-doms advocated by Mr Miliband, which whether believed or not still counts as opinion.

As an example, someone might actually be living and working in the UK without paying any income tax whatsoever. Some people may be of the opinion that it is fair for them to pay no tax while others may be of the opinion that it is unfair they pay no tax.

Miliband is of the opinion that the rule is unfair, clearly, whilst others such as you and I believe that the rule is fair.

Some people perceive fair as paying the same rate of tax as everybody else, whilst some left-wingers would like to see the richest people taxed at 90% like it was in the 50's and 60's. This is opinion.

Earthquake
04-05-2015, 10:42 PM
no point, liberal, labour and conservative are all plain and simple liars, the only real way to turn this country around is to vote UKIP

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!