PDA

View Full Version : night shifts

Typoh
22-05-2015, 10:24 AM
What do you eat of a night shift?
When do you eat?
Do you treat it the same as a day shift?

After having time off how do you get back into the pattern?

Be interesting to see how everyone else does it

Arnie

Empired
22-05-2015, 10:27 AM
I would either hate to do night shifts or be absolutely fine, but I'm not sure which it would turn out to be.

I have a friend whose sister is a nurse who works night shifts sometimes and gets a week in between night shifts and starting day shifts again, but she just goes and finds temp work in another hospital doing nights which is probably bad...

Typoh
22-05-2015, 10:31 AM
I have been doing them since Nov 14' and I totally prefer them but have a feeling I am going to find it hard to get back into the swing after having 12 nights off...

Also finding it hard to know when and what to eat. really confuses your body and mind, do I skip breakfast and then wake up to lunch/dinner...

Also have a family so obviously enjoy having dinner with them before work if possible.

e5
22-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Never done a night shift and dont particularly fancy doing one, but if I did, I guess I'd set times that I'd eat to make it seem normal but it would be weird at first.

GoldenMerc
22-05-2015, 03:39 PM
I done it for about 3 months and it was hell

James
22-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't midn working early or late, eg. like 5am or 10/11pm... but I don't think I could do like.. 11pm till 6am or something. That'd mess me up.

Danny
22-05-2015, 04:45 PM
I have been doing nights and will be to about mid-June. I don't particularly mind night shift in this job but the old job I did was a nightmare. I find it easier sleeping during the day now. As for eating, I will eat through out the night, like cakes or chocolate bars, but also some fruit. If Burger King has food left over we are allowed to eat that for free but Burger King isn't my thing if I am honest. I will have something for dinner at about 8pm before I get ready for work. I'm The only thing with nights is I just can't get anything done away from work which is a pain. I just sleep most of the day, and I only get one day off a week.

Typoh
23-05-2015, 02:16 AM
See I do 4 on 4 off so I am able to do things on my days off. But zi work 12 hour shifts from 6pm.

Which proves hard as need toreally be having 2 meals at work. Seeing as im here for so long.

Its pretty good as have access to all kitchen facilities etc.. so am able to cook up food and prepare and make food.

but atm I am ending up having like 2 dinner one before work and one while at work and that be it. Then skip lunch/breakfast..

- - - Updated - - -

See I do 4 on 4 off so I am able to do things on my days off. But zi work 12 hour shifts from 6pm.

Which proves hard as need toreally be having 2 meals at work. Seeing as im here for so long.

Its pretty good as have access to all kitchen facilities etc.. so am able to cook up food and prepare and make food.

but atm I am ending up having like 2 dinner one before work and one while at work and that be it. Then skip lunch/breakfast..

Danny
23-05-2015, 04:09 AM
I got two 12 hour shifts coming up next week. 6-6 because of a festival, but atleast I still finish at the same time.

Typoh
23-05-2015, 04:25 AM
Im meant to be on a 12 hour shift finishing at 6am... although have been asked to stay till 9am :(

Asiatisk
01-06-2015, 04:11 PM
What do you eat of a night shift?
When do you eat?
Do you treat it the same as a day shift?

After having time off how do you get back into the pattern?

So basically I only work night, since I'm behind in the bar. I usually try to eat regulary and have some type of shake i can drink while I'm not serving drinks. The most important thing is to eat all day regulary. Always eat breakfast even though you might not need to get up before you go to work it can be damagaging to your body to sleep all day and work all night.

I usually start with a light breakfast like bread and some other stuff around 10am, and I eat again 2/3 hours later. Just a banana or some fruit (since im a vegetarian i dont eat meat so dont expect me to give you my diet with meat on lol)
Since its probably 12-1pm now you should try to do something progressive to keep your brain going, because if youre sitting inside playing habbo all day your brain would be dead by the time you are going to work again. I usually go for a run, go out drink Coffee at a Cafe and read a book or Meditate.

For dinner try to eat something that has a lot of carbs and proteins. And remember to drink a lot of water!! Drink water all day everyday even though you might not be tirsty, if not your brain will get tierd around 6pm and you will be ready to go to bed before you have started your shift.

Eat something right before youre shift starts. So lets say you start at 10, eat something at nine. It dosnt have to be anything huge but it has to be something thats not too light either. While youre on shift, have some nuts or a shake or anything to just eat. Nuts, Bananas and apples are super good for that kind of stuff. Or Dried fruits with nuts are amazing for your energy level. As well you could have something to drink, I would not recommend energy drinks. they tend to give you a huge boost but then after a few hours you will feel tierd again.

Drink water and try to sleep right away when you get home. Late night snacks is not good for your body because then you will eat at uneaven times and you either lose weight or gain a lot of weight. :D

Cody
09-06-2015, 11:13 AM
I usually try to eat something really light on a night shift because my body doesnt do well if I eat something heavy before I sleep or work too hard.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!