PDA

View Full Version : Who started rock?

Jashmine
13-09-2005, 08:40 AM
K, I know theres no real answer to who started rock.
But I was wondering who everyone else thought xD
This came up on another forum, and very few people were mentioned.
Personally I have no idea xD

Victimized
13-09-2005, 08:54 PM
Hmm, most of the new wave of rockstars say they grew up listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica. But even they were influenced by somebody, i have no idea who started it.

RedStratocas
14-09-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeh, there is no real answer, but elvis was definatly one of the major rises in rock, and the beatles were one of the starters of "band" rock n' roll. It depends on what type too.

~Hilton~
15-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Err, I dont know. Maybe Elvis or The Beatles. But you never know, there could have been some kids in the garage making rock too, but you never heard of them.

BLuweesH
15-09-2005, 08:03 AM
No idea. No real idea :)

Carlos
15-09-2005, 11:34 AM
The first rock band was Metallica - I thought people would of known that...

Thrilled
15-09-2005, 01:51 PM
Hmm, most of the new wave of rockstars say they grew up listening to Iron Maiden and Metallica. But even they were influenced by somebody, i have no idea who started it.

Like most people of our generation, you don't have a clue about music. You speak as if Maiden and Metallica are old: 20 years is nothing.

Rock 'n' roll was a musical style born in the late 40's out of jump blues and incorporating the saxophone based rhythms of that form with as varied influences as the electric guitar of blues, the steady beat of swing, the pounding piano of boogie woogie, the fervor of gospel, the intense romantic longing of pop harmony groups and the looseness of country, with songs focusing on the viewpoints and interests of its predominantly young audiences and a constant pushing outwards of the accepted moral boundaries of the times.

Its main artists at this time were young black people appealing to the post-war community's need for excitement, dancing and increasing social freedoms. In the mid-50's, fueled by radio and jukeboxes, white teenagers became equally attracted by the style and became some of its most popular artists.

Rock 'n' roll is constantly progressing, adapting and experimenting allowing it to remain relevant to each succeeding generation, but it maintains the same urgency and perspective it had when it was founded more than a half-century ago.

The "original" artists of rock were people such as Big Joe Tuner and Fats Domino before the beginning of the 50's. Elvis only turned up in 1954 to record his first record, however, he did increase the popularity of Rock 'n' roll dramatically and is often branded the "King of rock". Other popular rock artists from this era include the likes of Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and Eddie Cochran.

The Beatles were by no means the first rock group, but they certainly made it more popular and helped create thousands of bands after their reign ended.

The first rock band was Metallica - I thought people would of known that...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!