PDA

View Full Version : Is life still worth living after contracting a terminal disease?

Bloop
17-07-2015, 06:56 AM
this is legitimately the non hit thread i have created so far.

is life still worth living when you have a disease - something incurable like, say, cancer?

while every life is precious, priceless, is the amount of pain worth going through?

or would you just give it up since inevitably you need to leave the world anyway.

DEBATE.

buttons
17-07-2015, 08:26 AM
yes I think so!! my bro has one n lives life to his fullest but he also has a son to look after so I guess it depends what you have in your life

Joe
17-07-2015, 08:37 AM
It really depends on my life situation at the time. I'll not really care if I'm alone in terms of my life, so I may as well not bother living, but hopefully I'll have a family and I'd find it really really hard to leave them. I'd want to stick around for as long as I could with my family so that would make me care.

Lewis
22-07-2015, 03:12 PM
There is no correct answer for this.

Whether or not life is worth living is up to the person with the terminal illness themselves.

Inseriousity.
22-07-2015, 05:22 PM
For me, it depends on the illness. If it was cancer, I'd say yes, even if it's terminal you can still squeeze as much out of life as possible. If it was something like Alzheimer's or Motor Neurone Syndrome then I'd have to really consider whether it was worth going through all that suffering. Then again, Stephen Hawking is still going strong so at least it's possible to live a full good life so I can understand each side of the debate. My worst personal nightmare is Alzheimer's and slowly losing control of your mind like that must be a horrible experience. I'd probably want to get out of it while I'm still able to.

Empired
23-07-2015, 09:23 AM
For me, it depends on the illness. If it was cancer, I'd say yes, even if it's terminal you can still squeeze as much out of life as possible. If it was something like Alzheimer's or Motor Neurone Syndrome then I'd have to really consider whether it was worth going through all that suffering. Then again, Stephen Hawking is still going strong so at least it's possible to live a full good life so I can understand each side of the debate. My worst personal nightmare is Alzheimer's and slowly losing control of your mind like that must be a horrible experience. I'd probably want to get out of it while I'm still able to.
Yeah this is me exactly but I've never wanted to say it in case people are like "how can you say that anything is worse than cancer???" which is something someone has said to me in real life before. And idk but after watching one person in my family experience breast cancer followed by cervical cancer and another person in my family experience PSP (progressive supranuclear palsy - it's kind of like motor neurone syndrome, parkinson's and a bit of alzheimers all in one I guess but that's the only way I can describe it) I have to say: imo there are things a lot worse than cancer out there (not saying that cancer is a good thing omg!).

I am the same. I think I would try to keep going at least to begin with if I had cancer but I wouldn't if it was something like motor neurone syndrome or similar.

Alysha
23-07-2015, 11:14 AM
Like others have said it completely depends on the life situation and the disease. I wouldn't want to end my life over cancer, because in modern medicine, it's becoming more and more treatable, but other illnesses that effect the mind and physical movement would make life less worth living imo. Being in a vegetable state either physically or mentally is no way to live in my opinion, but it also depends on whether you have those who depend on you.
I'm all for assisted suicide, but only if the circumstances are dire enough.

However, I might feel like it's ok being done to me, but I don't think I could cope with it being done to a family member. Selfish I guess.

Becca
23-07-2015, 08:49 PM
life isnt worth living anyway

Sian
25-07-2015, 01:29 PM
To me it depends on how long you have left/how quickly you will deterriorate. If you have enough time without majorly becoming ill then live life to the fullest, otherwise I would personally commit suicide probably. I certainly don't want to live whilst extremely ill with no hope of surviving.

Matt
26-07-2015, 04:56 AM
With the changing technology that is constantly being developed as well as researchers constantly looking for cures and ways to minimise the effects that terminal diseases have on humans, life would definitely be worth living but only if the suffering and pain was minimal and not excruciating. Just live it as best you can, make the most of it and stay positive. People have been known to live years after being diagnosed with an illness when they were previously told they'd only live for a number of months. Who knows, a cure might be developed whilst they're still around.

In saying that, I think it would depend on the disease and whether you were in constant pain or in a situation that meant you were being more reliant on others to survive. In that case, it would depend on whether or not you would still be able to enjoy a good quality of life whilst receiving ongoing treatment. If you were suffering the entire time and life was full of pain, then my answer would most likely be no.

Nuxty
30-07-2015, 07:30 PM
There is no correct answer for this.

Whether or not life is worth living is up to the person with the terminal illness themselves.

I completely agree with this, I guess it's entirely down to the persons state of mind and their thought/feelings regarding what their illness is.

AgnesIO
05-08-2015, 08:17 AM
Firstly, there is a pretty massive flaw in the original post. The difference between 'terminal' and 'incurable' is pretty massive.

HIV is incurable, but it isn't terminal. "Get your affairs in order" would refer to a terminal illness/disease. If I had a terminal illness, I would want as much time as possible to try to inspire others to make an impact in their own lives and to say bye to the people I love most - so yeah, I'd say life is still worth living.

-:Undertaker:-
14-04-2016, 07:53 PM
@Inseriousity (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=15792); @Empired (http://www.habboxforum.com/member.php?u=80588);

As my Grandad says though, dementia isn't actually that bad for the person who has it. They don't know they have it. It's the family who it is bad for.

If I had a terminal illness I would end it myself on my terms. There's no way I am laying in a bed or even letting it get near that stage. I'm in control and I will pick the method, the time and the day and where. Crucially though, you have to do it early on before it is too late: it can't be a "next week maybe" thing.

despect
14-01-2017, 06:04 PM
I think like it was said in the thread earlier, it would be down to life circumstances. I personally think it would be worth living because if you have family members who care and love you then surely you'd want to make sure you have the best time you can with them before it's too late. If you don't have that then I can understand that it could be more difficult, again life circumstances.

Kronics
16-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Hmmm I'd make the most out of it, do a bit of Breaking Bad :P (joking haha or am I....) I'd go travel as much as I can, do things that Could kill me despite already on death row. But yeh I mean you would regret not doing the things you could have done when it's to late.

Akeel
05-03-2017, 01:09 PM
why would anyone give up.... you still have so much to live for. family, friends. knowing you have the disease is bad but knowing that you're still here - potentially suffering but so what? life is life. live ur life.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!