PDA

View Full Version : Too Cold to Work

Hannah
22-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Right, so I work alone in a little shop that has absolutely NO heating.

It's absolutely fine in the summer as the room stays cool so there's no need for air conditioning. However, my area manager and several other people have constantly been saying about getting a heater over here for the winter.

Well it's cold and despite it being like 2 and half months now there is no heater.

There's no law for working temperatures I believe, but it is literally cold to the point where my hands are going bright red and I'm shivering. I keep saying about it and my area manager keeps saying we'll get one in soon - but this is getting ridiculous now.

Is there anything I can do, does anyone know?

As a coat isn't uniform and a black jumper doesn't suffice I am literally suffering and shivering at work - sitting on my bum for 8 hours in the freezing cold. :\

and no I won't buy my own heater for the workplace 'cause I don't want to be here much longer and I have no need for one at home so it'd be a waste. Plus im poor.

Cerys
22-09-2015, 12:42 PM
http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/law.htm

Yeah you're right that there's no official law however there's guidelines from the HSE.
Are you in a union or anything that you can go to? If you are then speak to a rep about it. I'd really suggest joining a union if you aren't already in one because that's all I can really think of if your manager isn't helping.

Hannah
22-09-2015, 12:51 PM
http://www.hse.gov.uk/temperature/law.htm

Yeah you're right that there's no official law however there's guidelines from the HSE.
Are you in a union or anything that you can go to? If you are then speak to a rep about it. I'd really suggest joining a union if you aren't already in one because that's all I can really think of if your manager isn't helping.

Yeah, I think I'll have to join one. It's actually ridiculous. :(

Thank you

Expling
22-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I think you should make a formal complaint
like a proper one in writing and make something up

or just have a few days off one week and when they ask where you were just say you were ill because you caught a cold from the freezing cold shop
hahaha

but tbh, I wouldn't go into a freezing cold shop so how the hell are they even getting customers?!!

FlyingJesus
22-09-2015, 08:20 PM
THERMAL UNDIES also if they're being rubbish about buying a heater say you'll go buy one as long as you can claim the cost back, then it saves them having to bother doing anything but you still get warm

-:Undertaker:-
22-09-2015, 11:25 PM
Kick up a fuss and if they say no then throw it back in their face and walk out there and then.

GoldenMerc
23-09-2015, 03:44 AM
Too cold to work for you, too hot to work here. Its just bypassed 50 degrees here.

Hannah
23-09-2015, 09:06 AM
I think you should make a formal complaint
like a proper one in writing and make something up

or just have a few days off one week and when they ask where you were just say you were ill because you caught a cold from the freezing cold shop
hahaha

but tbh, I wouldn't go into a freezing cold shop so how the hell are they even getting customers?!!

Yesterday was surprisingly the busiest day I've had here. 15 customers in 8 hours lol.
Normally we get 0-5.

THERMAL UNDIES also if they're being rubbish about buying a heater say you'll go buy one as long as you can claim the cost back, then it saves them having to bother doing anything but you still get warm

Yeah I may have to do that - seems like the most likely way to get one.

Kick up a fuss and if they say no then throw it back in their face and walk out there and then.

I have bills to pay - otherwise I'd quite happily walk out. Need another job lined up first. ;p

Too cold to work for you, too hot to work here. Its just bypassed 50 degrees here.

Jeez! I'd be quite happy to work in 50 degrees tbf, but then again I sit on my butt doing nothing all day.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!