PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Matt
25-10-2015, 05:02 AM
I know of three people that have been called to a court case and be a member of the jury. A few years a go my mum was called for jury duty but at the time worked for the Department of Justice and was seen as a conflict of interest - exempting her from doing it . Of course it would only be interesting if you had an interesting case to listen to otherwise you might get pretty bored. I know there's a fine involved if you don't go too. So has anyone actually done jury duty (most of us would be too young to have been on a jury) or do you know anyone who has done it? Was it interesting or really boring??

Inseriousity.
25-10-2015, 10:02 AM
I did jury duty but never got picked for a case. Lots of waiting around.
My nana did it recently and it was a rape case which sounds really interesting but she said it was boring lol.

Cerys
25-10-2015, 10:12 AM
I'd love to be called just for the experience, I love stuff to do with law :D but yeah I'm too young at the moment

scottish
25-10-2015, 10:25 AM
I got called for it when I was at Uni but as I was in full time education shouldn't have been, told the woman I was in full time education but they said it was too late as I was already picked (to come in, not to be part of the jury) so had to sit there for hours bored and didn't get picked so it's fine

Lex
25-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Never been called - don't think I'd like to either. I've seen every episode of The Practice, I know how boring it can be. ;)My granddad got called to do it in the 80's - some guy hacked his girlfriend to death with a meat cleaver. ;l

Cerys
25-10-2015, 10:30 AM
I got called for it when I was at Uni but as I was in full time education shouldn't have been, told the woman I was in full time education but they said it was too late as I was already picked (to come in, not to be part of the jury) so had to sit there for hours bored and didn't get picked so it's fine

I didn't realise full time education affected whether you got picked, I thought the only way to suspend your service was if you had exams during it ;o ah well atleast you didn't get picked regardless :3

Martin
25-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Yep, was called a couple of years ago! hours of sitting around being bored out of my mind! Not to mention the court was like an hour away!! :@ It did mean a few days off work though and I was paid for them so it wasn't all that bad I guess. ;)

buttons
25-10-2015, 12:14 PM
idk about the full time education bit, a girl at my uni had to do it and she was off for like 3 weeks because of it :/ iv never had to do it.

scottish
25-10-2015, 12:16 PM
may have been during my exam period I can't remember, but I remember them saying I was exempt but as I was already there it was too late

welshcake
25-10-2015, 02:55 PM
I've never been called
I don't even know anyone who has been
I would like to though just to get time off work

abc
25-10-2015, 04:44 PM
Never been called but would love to do it. My A-Levels psychology tutor was called 2 or 3 times.

Ekelektra
27-10-2015, 03:52 AM
I've never been asked but would love to do it!

My mum has got it twice. The first time her number didn't come up so she wasn't required to go. The second time was earlier this year and she had to go in, and was called up twice. The first case was a guy who stole some clothes and she was picked but they can reject certain people if they would rather have another jury member and they rejected my mum probably because she works in a clothing shop. The second case was rape and sexual assault and again she was picked but then rejected.

-:Undertaker:-
27-10-2015, 01:23 PM
I would like to do it as it is an important part of a free society (which is why the government is keen to introduce European-style secret court hearings and probably do away with juries altogether eventually) but given how soft and what an injustice our justice system really is i'd probably just get really wound up and angry.

I might just do what my favourite talk show host did... :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r2IOL8gChM

Stephen
28-10-2015, 12:36 AM
id like to do it but i wouldnt be able to

dunno why but sitting around bored for hours in a place other than my house sounds pretty fun :¬:

OldLoveSong
28-10-2015, 01:08 AM
i got a jury duty application form in the mail few weeks back, srsly hope they dont pick me to be one of the 24 to be sorted because i dont drive and cba missing work

Alkaz
28-10-2015, 01:50 AM
Never been picked and hope I don't either.

nat965
18-05-2017, 12:26 AM
ep I got called up a number of times, got out of it for work except one time. I was selected for the jury, unfortunately it made me realise how flawed our system is. Criminals get off on technicalities, people selected for the jury who can hardly tie their own shoelaces. Overall very frustrating.

Charlie
18-05-2017, 08:09 AM
Never have, hopefully never will. My dad had to once and he said it was pretty uneventful.

Sho
18-05-2017, 04:17 PM
i'd like to do it

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!