PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife in the Garden

-:Undertaker:-
29-12-2015, 03:43 AM
How much wildlife in action have you witnessed take place in your garden or yard? Big or small stories it doesn't matter.

The most bizzare thing I have ever seen happen in my garden was when a pigeon flew into the second floor window so I went downstairs and opened the front door to see if it was still alive/to stop the cats jumping on it while it was confused. Anyway I opened the door and stuck my head out and couldn't believe my eyes: there was some falcon or eagle looking bird that had the blood-soaked pigeon between its claws and it looked at me and then flew away with the pigeon. That was pretty cool seeing it in an urban setting.

Once I also saved a pigeon which was struggling to fly by placing it in a box overnight with water and food so the cats couldn't get it and made it so that only when the pigeon was strong enough to escape would it fly away out of the box. Anyway the morning after it'd gone so I assume it'd recovered.

What else? oh yeah we've had two bees nests in the garden and we have grey squirrels knocking around all the time.

How about you?

FlyingJesus
29-12-2015, 10:01 AM
We get all sorts, got my mum some of those "insect hotel" boxes for her birthday and it mostly seems to be spiders that take over but there are also all sorts of other tiny dudes and dudettes in them just chilling. Used to have a lot of frogs come into our garden because there are lots of cool places to take shade but the cats saw them off I think... best thing we had was some bloody pheasant flew in from god knows where and just started strutting around like it was at home

welshcake
29-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Like lit just seagulls
then at my parent's house sheep are always in people's gardens because we live on a mountain so we are in the home of the sheep. Can't blame them then really can you :/

Drew
29-12-2015, 10:39 AM
I have seen so many in our yard back home - frogs, snakes, monitor lizards, stray cats and dogs, different kinds of birds etc.

My craziest encounter was seeing a beautiful hornbill stopping right outside our window. My sister and I were admiring it, then nek minnit it was swallowing a little bird from the nest right next to it. We just screamed and then ran outside to shoo it away when we could finally think LOL :(

Samantha
03-01-2016, 05:27 PM
We used to have a few stray cats around, but with the fences being put up we don't see them much at all anymore. We have a bird table thing and we often see little birds, including a blackbird most days.

-:Undertaker:-
10-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Hearing the birds go crazy yesterday (mating?) and saw two squirrels playing out together.

And a little Robin was flying around me while I was digging up the garden.

lemons
10-01-2016, 10:45 AM
a heron which was eating fish from our pond

Zak
15-01-2016, 08:47 AM
We have rabbits quite a bit. Squirrels and Foxes. There is also a native woodpecker that likes to visit ever year :)

j0rd
15-01-2016, 06:22 PM
I live out the way now a bit with quite a bit of land and trees around us. We always get loads of squirrels and there's this one squirrel (I'm convinced it's the same one) that literally sits in a tree outside my bedroom window and watches me

there's also a farm down the road from me and sometimes you hear the goats having sex ishityounot

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!