PDA

View Full Version : What are some of the issues/topics you care most strongly about?

-:Undertaker:-
29-12-2015, 03:53 PM
What are the subjects/topics/issues that you feel most strongly about? Whether it's mental health work, studying diseases, a certain branch of law, a certain model or style of education... what's a serious topic that you feel most passionate about and why?

I'd say there's three I feel most strongly about, in order.

Parliamentary sovereignty: the ability of our country and parliament to make our own laws I feel is my birthright and has been in our birthrights for the last one thousand years until 1973 when we signed up to the EEC. I think having a flexible and accountable parliament and government that has been able to respond quickly to events has made our country peaceful and has avoided the many revolutions that other countries have had whilst we've prospered. That's my core and overriding principle in any debate and that's why I want to so desperately leave the European Union.

English liberty: this is again a birthright that comes from our thousand year old constitution that generations have fought for from the Magna Carta to English common law, to the Acts of Union to the Acts of Succession. It makes me so so so angry when the likes of Tony Blair and Labour tried to bring in 90-day detention charges (basically being arrested without being charged and held for 90 days) under the guise of keeping us 'safe' from terrorism. The most important thing to keep safe is English liberty.

Town planning: one thing that really moves me and makes me so sad is looking at old photographs of Britain's towns and cities from before 1950. Prince Charles was right when he said that town planners in local councils had done more damage to the London/British skyline and cityscape than the Nazi Luftwaffe ever managed to do. Take my own city of Liverpool for example, had we not lost so many wonderful buildings to town planners we literally would be on a par with Prague or Venice in terms of architecture although be it more industrial in nature. And that really isn't an exaggeration.

How about you?

Inseriousity.
29-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Social mobility: Coming from a working class background, I do not think social mobility is as good as it should be. It is still the case that your postcode can have a massive impact on your life and while I do not think the State has the power to wave a magical wand around and fix very deep-seated issues, I think more could be done.

Education: I do not believe that education is the key to fixing social mobility (as seems to be the norm) but I do find it fascinating how a whole educational system can shape the adults we become. I enjoy learning as well so I always think an educational environment is like home sweet home for me.

FlyingJesus
29-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Bees

Drew
29-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Equality (gender equality mostly), and women in science and tech. Both are things I care deeply about but I have had more involvement with the latter (giving talks to young girls and prospective uni students).

Sent from my iPhone

Stephen
31-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Drugs.
Alcohol is a drug yet all other drugs are considered bad. Alcohol withdrawal is worse than heroin withdrawal, it can kill you but it is accepted as nice little alcoholic beverage sold everywhere. Fuck you brainwashed idiots it's one of the worst drugs around.

...Some mum makes the fucking angelus foundation cos her daughter died mixing ALCOHOL with ghb or whatever
oh what ghb is the obvious culprit?? DUH DOH. No you blind idiot your daughter is dead cos she fucked up. You've probably been drinking alcohol for ages since she's dead. You are drinking what really killed her but you're so blind to the fact you just blame shit on other crap. Maybe I'm being mean but you "LADY" are a fucking idiot and no doubt your daughter is turning in her grave

grr

k that's my issue/topic

dbgtz
31-12-2015, 02:48 PM
I suppose I feel strongly about self responsibility and personal freedoms.

Equality (gender equality mostly), and women in science and tech. Both are things I care deeply about but I have had more involvement with the latter (giving talks to young girls and prospective uni students).

Sent from my iPhone

Out of curiosity, how unequal do you think things are?

Drugs.
Alcohol is a drug yet all other drugs are considered bad. Alcohol withdrawal is worse than heroin withdrawal, it can kill you but it is accepted as nice little alcoholic beverage sold everywhere. Fuck you brainwashed idiots it's one of the worst drugs around.

...Some mum makes the fucking angelus foundation cos her daughter died mixing ALCOHOL with ghb or whatever
oh what ghb is the obvious culprit?? DUH DOH. No you blind idiot your daughter is dead cos she fucked up. You've probably been drinking alcohol for ages since she's dead. You are drinking what really killed her but you're so blind to the fact you just blame shit on other crap. Maybe I'm being mean but you "LADY" are a fucking idiot and no doubt your daughter is turning in her grave

grr

k that's my issue/topic

So are you anti-alcohol or pro-legalisation? Or a mixture of both?

Stephen
02-01-2016, 12:54 AM
I suppose I feel strongly about self responsibility and personal freedoms.

Out of curiosity, how unequal do you think things are?

So are you anti-alcohol or pro-legalisation? Or a mixture of both?

I'm just sick of alcohol being so accepted compared to how dangerous it is compared to a a lot of illegal drugs. The misuse of drugs act the drug class system was made for drugs which were dangerous and addictive
Now it's used for anything that can alter your mood in a good way. The government have the ACMD but if the ACMD say something like hey this drug makes you feel good and causes no damage to a person who takes it then government fires a couple of them to get their WE CONTROL THE PEOPLE point across and get the ban lists sorted out.
LSD isn't dangerous it should be a class C drug along with most other psychs. As long as harm reduction is used and people are educated you can't abuse it. Most psychedelics build a huge tolerance straight away which is cross tolerant with other psychs. Take MDMA daily for 3 days and the it will feel weaker and weaker. Harm reduction and proper education is the only way to defeat the stupidly named war on drugs

-:Undertaker:-
02-01-2016, 01:03 AM
I'm just sick of alcohol being so accepted compared to how dangerous it is compared to a a lot of illegal drugs. The misuse of drugs act the drug class system was made for drugs which were dangerous and addictive
Now it's used for anything that can alter your mood in a good way. The government have the ACMD but if the ACMD say something like hey this drug makes you feel good and causes no damage to a person who takes it then government fires a couple of them to get their WE CONTROL THE PEOPLE point across and get the ban lists sorted out.
LSD isn't dangerous it should be a class C drug along with most other psychs. As long as harm reduction is used and people are educated you can't abuse it. Most psychedelics build a huge tolerance straight away which is cross tolerant with other psychs. Take MDMA daily for 3 days and the it will feel weaker and weaker. Harm reduction and proper education is the only way to defeat the stupidly named war on drugs

There's been no war on drugs though it is a complete myth. Drug laws have been weakened and simply not even acted on by Police since liberalisation of the 1960s. And since the 1960s de facto decriminalisation, drug usage has increased amazingly despite hundreds of millions spent on so-called education.

I'd actually legalise drugs in an ideal world with no government healthcare but until then, the state has to regulate: and criminal laws should be enforced against those using rather than just the people supplying as they are now who are simply responding to demand. 'Education' by any measure has been a complete failure.

buttons
02-01-2016, 12:51 PM
gender inequality > seeing women abuse their advantage in society, such as using their children as pawns against the father, then complaining about how society hates women.

disabilities > seeing physical/mentally disabled people be treated as inferior e.g physically disabled people being given a 3rd story flat with no elevators whilst dole bums get nice 3 bedroom houses. many of our service users with learning disabilities are placed into homes in dangerous areas. people with disabilities are often at risk of financial abuse too!

unlike mike, although I agree poor people have less resources to better themselves, i do believe in free choice and taking responsibility for yourself and your life. that's something I feel very strongly about, I dislike seeing people complain about their life but never actually doing anything about it. Obviously it's difficult in some situations such as the disability example i gave.

Empired
02-01-2016, 01:54 PM
The education system. It drives me mad just thinking about it sometimes. I'm gonna rant about it for a bit now sorry in advance lol

It makes me furious to think that a student who joins Year 7 completely illiterate and hardly able to construct a sentence out loud who is predicted Us all round could leave Year 11 with an average D grade and still be deemed a failure, whilst a student who joins Year 7 with B grade predictions can get them and be seen as a success.
I also don't get why being good at certain handpicked subjects mean you are worthy and intelligent (maths, sciences, english, languages, basically school subjects) whereas if you're talented at something niche like horse riding or gardening you don't matter.

Exams are also a total mystery to me because I happen to be fantastic at writing essays under pressure but that doesn't mean I'm more intelligent than the people around me. It seems insane that a person's intelligence is measured by how much they could remember about a certain subject for two hours one time in May.

I absolutely hate the current education system and I think if I were prime minister for the day that would have to be the one thing I would choose to tackle.

Stephen
04-01-2016, 08:59 PM
There's been no war on drugs though it is a complete myth. Drug laws have been weakened and simply not even acted on by Police since liberalisation of the 1960s. And since the 1960s de facto decriminalisation, drug usage has increased amazingly despite hundreds of millions spent on so-called education.

I'd actually legalise drugs in an ideal world with no government healthcare but until then, the state has to regulate: and criminal laws should be enforced against those using rather than just the people supplying as they are now who are simply responding to demand. 'Education' by any measure has been a complete failure.

Education in any measure is not a complete failure. There are forums people use to ask questions about dosages on drugs etc.
I know someone who goes to festivals across the country giving advice and help to people who need it. it's the only way

Other week someone asked if they could dip their finger into a bag of 250mg diclazepam of powder. 250mg = over 250 doses. They were an alcoholic. They had kids but wanted something to withdraw from without drinking alcohol in front of them
turned to a legal substance and they had no scales.They thought that dipping their finger into a bag of power would be ok.

We gave them advice.. hell i said chuck that shit down the toilet and flush it
but yeah that's what people think, a grown adult asked that question...

how many more people have to die from drugs? And then drink this safe alcohol shit with it which is the cause?

Education no matter how shit you think it is it had saved lives and I've known numerous people who have died from drugs but yeah

Education is not a fail. People die ok but we and other people can save a lot of people with our information

Alkaz
04-01-2016, 09:03 PM
Town planning: one thing that really moves me and makes me so sad is looking at old photographs of Britain's towns and cities from before 1950. Prince Charles was right when he said that town planners in local councils had done more damage to the London/British skyline and cityscape than the Nazi Luftwaffe ever managed to do. Take my own city of Liverpool for example, had we not lost so many wonderful buildings to town planners we literally would be on a par with Prague or Venice in terms of architecture although be it more industrial in nature. And that really isn't an exaggeration.
To be honest, Venice is a bit of a shit hole and you really have to search for the fantastic architecture. However, I do agree with you on this one. Especially coming from the south, even in my lifetime I've seen the changed that have occurred in towns and cities and how fantastically fast buildings are being torn down and new ones being erected in its place. On the small estate where I used to live, there was about 190 houses. A developer bought the land, bought everyone's houses and now there is in excess of 450+ homes on the same piece of land. It just seems that developers are here to make a quick quid and sod the people that actually live here. The hospitals can't cope, there aren't enough schools. I simply don't know how they get away with it!

dbgtz
05-01-2016, 07:16 PM

I'd say the laws themselves have actually tried to become more strict, it's just not particularly enforced which is probably down to funding at the core of it. It's also far more efficient to target the source of the problem rather than the people who drugs for personal use.
I also don't think you can call education a complete failure without a) providing some kind of statistics and b) defining what a failure is. For some, 1 life saved would be no failure.

Education in any measure is not a complete failure. There are forums people use to ask questions about dosages on drugs etc.
I know someone who goes to festivals across the country giving advice and help to people who need it. it's the only way

Other week someone asked if they could dip their finger into a bag of 250mg diclazepam of powder. 250mg = over 250 doses. They were an alcoholic. They had kids but wanted something to withdraw from without drinking alcohol in front of them
turned to a legal substance and they had no scales.They thought that dipping their finger into a bag of power would be ok.

We gave them advice.. hell i said chuck that shit down the toilet and flush it
but yeah that's what people think, a grown adult asked that question...

how many more people have to die from drugs? And then drink this safe alcohol shit with it which is the cause?

Education no matter how shit you think it is it had saved lives and I've known numerous people who have died from drugs but yeah

Education is not a fail. People die ok but we and other people can save a lot of people with our information

Out of curiosity (again), what do you think of the morbidly obese who consume hundreds thousands of calories more than they should because of addiction (or other reasons) and what would you want to do about that? It's essentially the same symptoms but you can't exactly ban food.

The education system. It drives me mad just thinking about it sometimes. I'm gonna rant about it for a bit now sorry in advance lol

It makes me furious to think that a student who joins Year 7 completely illiterate and hardly able to construct a sentence out loud who is predicted Us all round could leave Year 11 with an average D grade and still be deemed a failure, whilst a student who joins Year 7 with B grade predictions can get them and be seen as a success.
I also don't get why being good at certain handpicked subjects mean you are worthy and intelligent (maths, sciences, english, languages, basically school subjects) whereas if you're talented at something niche like horse riding or gardening you don't matter.

Exams are also a total mystery to me because I happen to be fantastic at writing essays under pressure but that doesn't mean I'm more intelligent than the people around me. It seems insane that a person's intelligence is measured by how much they could remember about a certain subject for two hours one time in May.

I absolutely hate the current education system and I think if I were prime minister for the day that would have to be the one thing I would choose to tackle.

Speaking for maths and somewhat science (and I suppose this may apply to English/languages) but it's not really the actual maths itself that matters, but the idea it shows you can understand abstract ideas which aren't exactly present in horse riding and gardening.

Empired
05-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Speaking for maths and somewhat science (and I suppose this may apply to English/languages) but it's not really the actual maths itself that matters, but the idea it shows you can understand abstract ideas which aren't exactly present in horse riding and gardening.

Good thing I was only using them as examples then! And that still doesn't mean they aren't worthy skills. Just like home economics isn't valued anymore but I think it should be one of the most important classes! What's the point in understanding abstract ideas if you can't feed yourself?

dbgtz
05-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Good thing I was only using them as examples then! And that still doesn't mean they aren't worthy skills. Just like home economics isn't valued anymore but I think it should be one of the most important classes! What's the point in understanding abstract ideas if you can't feed yourself?

Because if you can understand abstract ideas then it is assumed you can understand simpler ideas. It's why a lot of schools may use test scores from Maths to determine what set a pupil will be in for some subjects. I would personally also say Maths probably has the biggest presence in daily life as much as many people don't seem to realise it. And looking at the subject purely from a schools perspective, it's probably very cheap to teach (per head).

I'm curious why you think "home economics" should be one of the most important classes. I'm also curious what else you would consider important.

Empired
05-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Because if you can understand abstract ideas then it is assumed you can understand simpler ideas. It's why a lot of schools may use test scores from Maths to determine what set a pupil will be in for some subjects. I would personally also say Maths probably has the biggest presence in daily life as much as many people don't seem to realise it. And looking at the subject purely from a schools perspective, it's probably very cheap to teach (per head).

I'm curious why you think "home economics" should be one of the most important classes. I'm also curious what else you would consider important.

Well obviously I can't speak for the entire country lol but from my own experience it would seem that generally the more "intellectual" you are the fewer supposedly "simple" things you can actually do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest that maths isn't important but it's not for everyone and therefore shouldn't be forced upon everyone.
I'm not saying let's take maths and bin it and test pupils' intelligence purely on their cooking skills instead but I am saying I don't see why physics is valued whereas cooking is not. Everyone is good at different things but only some of those things are of worth and I think that sucks.

Also, educating someone because it's "very cheap to teach" as you say is an outrageous reason for why we choose to educate our entire country's children. Maybe you were just looking from the government's perspective - I can't tell.

N-Dubz
05-01-2016, 10:01 PM
mental health & how its treated and dealt with, how its viewed in society & portrayed. animal extinction & cruelty and how the world kind of just views this as "oh dear". media & pointless celebrities and how this is beginning to strongly impact how women are perceived.

dbgtz
05-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Well obviously I can't speak for the entire country lol but from my own experience it would seem that generally the more "intellectual" you are the fewer supposedly "simple" things you can actually do. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest that maths isn't important but it's not for everyone and therefore shouldn't be forced upon everyone.
I'm not saying let's take maths and bin it and test pupils' intelligence purely on their cooking skills instead but I am saying I don't see why physics is valued whereas cooking is not. Everyone is good at different things but only some of those things are of worth and I think that sucks.

Also, educating someone because it's "very cheap to teach" as you say is an outrageous reason for why we choose to educate our entire country's children. Maybe you were just looking from the government's perspective - I can't tell.

I did say from a schools perspective, it's not me trying to justify it :P Though, there does come a point where a school can only offer so much so some subjects are always going to be unavailable in some schools.

Unfortunately, the problem is that in some shape and form, it will pretty much be forced upon everyone regardless of what you do. It also looks good to employers to have for the reasons I stated before.

Physics is valued for basically the same reasons as maths, though I couldn't argue for the other sciences since I haven't touched them at all since school. Fortunately when people are aged 16, they can (sort of) go and do what they want and never touch maths as a subject again if they wish and do horse grooming instead. That actually raises an interesting point, is there a point where a taught subject (like horse grooming, though I think this was actually a BTEC level 3) are worthless? Or should all subjects be treated equally?

abc
06-01-2016, 01:06 AM
Corruption - I cannot bear it one bit.

OldLoveSong
06-01-2016, 07:30 PM
drug use/ use of animal entertainment / k thats bout it idk

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!