PDA

View Full Version : what's your revision method?

Elegance
08-01-2016, 09:27 PM
is it watching videos/writing notes/revision flash cards/reading stuff/mind maps/having group study sessions etc?

for me i have to be in either complete silence or listening to classical music or i won't learn anything, then i write flashcards! i've tried having group study sessions in the past but i never learn anything so i have to completely isolate myself otherwise i learn nothing and watching videos just distracts me and sends me to sleep

Prosiary
08-01-2016, 09:43 PM
Have to listen to music every second of revision, I prefer to write flash cards with the most important stuff to revise and then do notes on all other and read over them every day until the exam I am revising for. I also find videos are really good too!

Empired
08-01-2016, 10:01 PM
Writing out all my notes in my best handwriting so I can be proud of my notes in a really specific way that works in my brain lol
And revision cards that ask me questions on one side and have the answer on the other side.

Also I have to start up a revision timetable otherwise I never actually do anything!

Red
08-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Just keep reading and writing it rly messy on paper as I am reading!

Also I'll make notes on the computer and print and revise from them. Don't like handwritten notes!

Jurv
08-01-2016, 10:23 PM
I usually go through my notebook and re-write all the key points under specific headings

I listen to music too but they can't have vocals or it'll drive me crazy. I listen to film soundtracks or study music from Youtube

Expling
08-01-2016, 11:22 PM
i like reading my notes and textbooks cos i find that somewhat interesting

then i make posters of topics with loads of colour and big heading and pics (espec with geography cos u got case studies and shit)

then for more factual subjects like re and the parables i use flashcards which is nice as i take them into my non academic lessons like compulsory pe and just read them

+ i always learn best with music, i love music!!

Kasabian
08-01-2016, 11:33 PM
Even when I was at school/on my apprenticeship/doing my engineering qualifications, I never once revised.

lemons
08-01-2016, 11:48 PM
well rosie when doing my french gcse and a-lvl revision i found it very useful to keep rewriting out lines until i learnt huge paragraphs and even whole essays word for word which was quite useful for writing and speaking exams

also instead of paper flashcards you could use the app quizlet which is AMAZING and you will learn lots of vocab in no time

and yes i can't do revision around other people but i do like a bit of background noise or music

Empired
09-01-2016, 12:43 AM
well rosie when doing my french gcse and a-lvl revision i found it very useful to keep rewriting out lines until i learnt huge paragraphs and even whole essays word for word which was quite useful for writing and speaking exams
that is exactly how I learned my spanish stuff and I could do it super fast too like start at 3:30pm one day and take the exam 9am the next day
Just had to spend all my time rewriting and rewriting and rewriting and then it would stick

definitely don't think that method would work for everyone though

Absently
09-01-2016, 01:45 AM
I normally rewrite all my lectures word for word and just highlight and go over my notes and write personalised notes in a green pen usually. I've tried flash cards and they don't work for me, when it's on paper I tend to imagine the page it was on and it helps. I study with a friend most of the time but I've found I actually do better by myself. I like speaking out loud what I'm reading in a really densed down way too.

I've changed rewriting notes word for word and have begun writing my notes on my laptop quickly, then printing them out, highlighting and then again making personalised notes on that. Sounds really messy and it totally is, but helps me a lot :)

Kyle
09-01-2016, 03:44 AM
Once I read something and understand it it's pretty much there forever, so I go over my annotations of lectures after each class, type them out as short as possible (pref 1 side of a4) and file them away until I need to recall them. I do research for and write a lot of essays in preparation for essay-based exams. I tend to do all of my 'revision' no more than 1-2 weeks after learning, that way I have very little to stress about and don't need to be one of those people with neatly written colour-coded timetables forcing them to revise for X amount of time per day leading up to exams and can get drunk instead.

Sho
09-01-2016, 08:23 AM
I write lists. For some reason my brain likes lists so I rewrite lists over and over until I remember them word by word lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt
09-01-2016, 08:28 AM
When I'm doing study notes I have to be in a group so I know it's right (and I feel more comfortable comparing notes with others). When I'm actually wanting to take it all in, I need to be on my own and in a totally quiet environment. I can only ever do /study/revision/any of my uni work at all if I'm at home. I find it so hard to complete assignments in the library or at Uni - I'm like a child and get distracted at everything.

Matthew
09-01-2016, 11:19 AM
last minute all the way :P

nah but it depends on the subject. For my a level/gcse history I just used the notes i'd made in class and condensed them and did lots of essay practice. For maths, didn't do anything at home, just the past papers we did in class. Further maths, did a fair amount of past papers at home and economics I just read through the text book the night before lol

poor revision methods i know but it worked (thankfully).

buttons
09-01-2016, 12:18 PM
so if am revising for an exam/presentation it goes:

- write out every point from the slides of the topic im going to write about/talk about
- condense each point into a word/few words
- try to write an essay using these words

then:
- from the essay, try to remember the key words used
- match them with the original key words used
- memorise the ones i missed

then final stage:
- keep writing an essay from memory
- forget some important things in the essay/presentation anyway.

Elegance
09-01-2016, 01:22 PM

also instead of paper flashcards you could use the app quizlet which is AMAZING and you will learn lots of vocab in no time

and yes i can't do revision around other people but i do like a bit of background noise or music

for my french vocab i write flashcards with 1 french word and the english translation on each side then i get a family member to test me on them but i know some people in my class all have a group or something on quizlet where one person puts all of the vocab into the app and everyone else uses it, i might try that in future cos the way i do it is so time consuming & i also have written out loads of french essay phrases and i have a book called mot á mot which basically has loads of a-grade phrases written in for you to use, then for each topic that we do i have a like a pour/contre list of arguments which really helps me when i need to write essays but i struggle so much trying to revise/learn tenses and grammar concepts

lemons
09-01-2016, 01:25 PM
for my french vocab i write flashcards with 1 french word and the english translation on each side then i get a family member to test me on them but i know some people in my class all have a group or something on quizlet where one person puts all of the vocab into the app and everyone else uses it, i might try that in future cos the way i do it is so time consuming & i also have written out loads of french essay phrases and i have a book called mot á mot which basically has loads of a-grade phrases written in for you to use, then for each topic that we do i have a like a pour/contre list of arguments which really helps me when i need to write essays but i struggle so much trying to revise/learn tenses and grammar concepts

yes all sounds very good i had mot á mot as well but never used it :( lol i was so awful at grammar and tenses but there are some good conjugating apps, most you have to pay for all the tenses but should help

scottish
09-01-2016, 01:38 PM
my method was to skip every lecture, the day before the exam read the lecture notes, take my own notes based off those and after about 5 hours go back to whatever game I was playing at the time.

lawrawrrr
09-01-2016, 03:26 PM
I used to write and rewrite everything. My learning methods were way better tactile, I have a bit of a photographic memory too so I remembered where things were on a page. I used to use tons of different colours and make it all pretty! I'd then either stick it on my walls so I'd keep looking at it or have them in flashcards which I'd re-read.

I'm very glad I don't have to revise any more.

oh, here's a pic of all I wrote out from revising for my AS levels....

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/v/t1.0-9/32228_404276577491_7057413_n.jpg?oh=0995d7f87205cb 43cf112c86a531cf75&oe=5740EDE2

-:Undertaker:-
10-01-2016, 09:47 AM
i usually just write out important points and memorise a page of them so when i go in exam i write them down first in a list and refer back to them when i need them

Neptupid
12-01-2016, 06:40 AM
I was taught this in my psychology class. So if you are in history or geography anything you need to remember names or words (works better with names) You change the name to suit who they are and what they do so it triggers your mind to remember it.

Eg The psychology study of the week is about age and was studied by Willis so I would go Will-Is Young. Young telling me its age and Willis Turing into one word.

Or you can associate words like the study by Summer is cultural differences so i think summer hot weather and then cultures.

You either love it or hate it Hope this helped

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!