PDA

View Full Version : public speaking

-:Undertaker:-
12-02-2016, 03:37 AM
is anyone good at public speaking or speaking infront of a group?

i was soooo shy as a kid in school and even though i had a great time there like i remember how daunting it was being asked to read or stand infront of a class or even walk into an assembly i remember DYING inside lmao.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/grow-shy#.vg6yWKBWj

but yeah in uni i grew out of it and didn't have a problem with speaking in groups or doing presentations standing up. infact i kinda liked it...... in class discussions i dominated cos everyone else was so quiet.

how about you or do you still die inside

thms
12-02-2016, 04:26 AM
i'm not really nervous with it but sometimes i mispronounce words or just end up speaking jibberish like hello i'm thomaflahduhslah

-:Undertaker:-
12-02-2016, 04:29 AM
i'm not really nervous with it but sometimes i mispronounce words or just end up speaking jibberish like hello i'm thomaflahduhslah

that's just your homo lisp hun

thms
12-02-2016, 04:33 AM
that's just your homo lisp hun

oh for fuck sake :/

lemons
12-02-2016, 10:09 AM
i hate it next week i have to speak in front of over 200 people

Alysha
12-02-2016, 10:43 AM
No I'm awful, I speak too fast and fall over my words. I'm not even that great in 1on1 situations either I guess. University didn't help.

Gina
12-02-2016, 11:45 AM
I love it
in my old school I did an assembly to the whole school but surprisingly enjoyed it
find it quite fun
in year 7 and below i was SO shy tho just grew more confident in terms of speaking n whatev as years went on
i was gonna go an assembly at my new school cos someone pulled out last minute so they needed someone to help but they rly needed a geography student and i didnt even do it for gcse let alone a level lmfao
but love love love

Cerys
12-02-2016, 12:31 PM
I haaaate it, I end up stuttering and shaking so much it's awful

At the start of this year in uni we had to do a class on public speaking where we practiced techniques etc, and it's continuing all through next yr I'm dreading it

Empired
12-02-2016, 12:40 PM
I used to be so shy I couldn't stand even to read in like English class or something in front of my peers. It was awful and I'd start to panic even if I was just thinking about it.

I had 10 weeks of CBT for social anxiety over the summer which was fantastically successful and then sixth form and got a job found everything had just changed. I would happily talk up in class and found I was often the one who answered a large majority of the questions because nobody else would - I remember my sociology teacher thanking me at parents evening because otherwise her classes were so awks lol.

I can talk in front of people and I don't feel nervous but it's very annoying because my knees always shake, and my hands shake sometimes too which is really embarrassing because people must think I'm scared. Don't know how to stop that happening either as I'm genuinely not afraid so it's not like breathing slowly (which I'm obviously already doing) will help.

But yeah. Really really shy people over the age of like 12 annoy me now. I can understand not liking public speaking as it's really not everyones cup of tea but the girl I used to sit next to in English would shake like a leaf and you could see her mouth going dry and she'd stutter and stutter if the teacher asked her a simple question (and it wasn't that she didn't know the answers, she was smart and she always had something to say) and it would just frustrate me because like ???? get a grip? Speaking is part of life.

I don't know, looking back over how debilitating my shyness/social anxiety was embarrasses me because I think it's just an extension of vanity now. I know it's not the same exactly but "oh no everyone's looking at me WHAT HORRORS MUST THEY BE THINKING" is just an absurd, self-centered notion to me these days.

Alkaz
12-02-2016, 01:17 PM
Yeah I hated it all through school and sixth form, however when I got to university, the woes and anxiety I used to have just seemed to disappear. I'm fine at standing up in front of people and talking about stuff. I do however still get a bit tongue twisted and then develop a tiny stutter if I am talking about something I don't really know about.

Kellie
12-02-2016, 01:30 PM
Oh god no I really can't. They used to make us do it at college and I was a mess. I did it but I was shaking all through like I was so out my comfort zone. I'm shy enough as it is in person, doing that is NO

dbgtz
12-02-2016, 04:43 PM
I used to absolutely despise it and would avoid it at any cost. Not even quite sure when this changed, but I'm pretty comfortable doing it now. Had to do one on Monday, actually :P I will say though, if I have to speak for a length time and I'm not completely familiar with what I'm suppose to be saying/presenting, then I will probably slip up on my words on occasion which really just means I need to follow what I've been told my whole life and practice presentations lmao.

On a related note, it's interesting to see how different people move when they're presenting and their "tells" (not sure how else to word it). Like some people will put their hands in the pockets or constantly move their sleeves down over their hands, perhaps even just pace around a little bit.

buttons
12-02-2016, 04:51 PM
But yeah. Really really shy people over the age of like 12 annoy me now. I can understand not liking public speaking as it's really not everyones cup of tea but the girl I used to sit next to in English would shake like a leaf and you could see her mouth going dry and she'd stutter and stutter if the teacher asked her a simple question (and it wasn't that she didn't know the answers, she was smart and she always had something to say) and it would just frustrate me because like ???? get a grip? Speaking is part of life.

I don't know, looking back over how debilitating my shyness/social anxiety was embarrasses me because I think it's just an extension of vanity now. I know it's not the same exactly but "oh no everyone's looking at me WHAT HORRORS MUST THEY BE THINKING" is just an absurd, self-centered notion to me these days.
but u know it's not just shyness lol and that u can't just 'get a grip'. shyness/anxiety also tend to start AFTER the age of 12 anyway cause that's when u start to care about what ur peers think of u and want to impress people?? even the most confident of people can get nervous at public speaking. yes speaking is a part of life but public speaking isn't? public speaking can be a bit of a skill and it's quite unnatural if u think about it because you're being judged on your abilities sometimes (2 of my speaking presentations in 4th yr uni were graded) and u have to cover points whereas speaking to someone in a normal convo is more natural. I know what ur saying tho bc I agree, people aren't thinking about u as much as u think, so yes it's vain, but u know urself that it's a MENTAL HEALTH disorder therefore u can't just 'get a grip'. not a dig at u btw cause it annoys me how i let social anxiety affect my life for so long but i still feel sorry for people going through it

ANYWAY yeh used to bother me, would get nervous n not be able to eat before it, would get rly red n shaky n want to run out of the room but now it wouldn't bother me that much if it was in a relaxed setting and with other people rather than me presenting myself.

Inseriousity.
12-02-2016, 04:55 PM
I actually prefer public speaking to small talk one-on-one (I'm just too blunt and to the point with my answers, I can't sustain a conversation that I'm not interested in very long). Like Tom, I do need to practice beforehand. I've had a few 'blank moments' where my mind has just gone blank so I don't know what I was going to say. Feels like it lasts a lifetime but it's probably not even a minute. Obviously I don't exactly volunteer for public speaking if I can avoid it but I also don't dread it too much.

Empired
12-02-2016, 05:03 PM
but u know it's not just shyness lol and that u can't just 'get a grip'. shyness/anxiety also tend to start AFTER the age of 12 anyway cause that's when u start to care about what ur peers think of u and want to impress people?? even the most confident of people can get nervous at public speaking. yes speaking is a part of life but public speaking isn't? public speaking can be a bit of a skill and it's quite unnatural if u think about it because you're being judged on your abilities sometimes (2 of my speaking presentations in 4th yr uni were graded) and u have to cover points whereas speaking to someone in a normal convo is more natural. I know what ur saying tho bc I agree, people aren't thinking about u as much as u think, so yes it's vain, but u know urself that it's a MENTAL HEALTH disorder therefore u can't just 'get a grip'. not a dig at u btw cause it annoys me how i let social anxiety affect my life for so long but i still feel sorry for people going through it

I did say at the beginning that I can understand hating public speaking :P I was trying to say that extreme reactions in low key situations like that girl in my English are what grated on my nerves.
Or when I overhear people in public (overheard it more at secondary school) saying they can't do X and they can't do Y because of their social anxiety, and it's really extreme on tumblr. I get mental health is different for everyone but like rule 1 of my social anxiety was never talk about social anxiety.

Cerys
12-02-2016, 05:16 PM
I did say at the beginning that I can understand hating public speaking :P I was trying to say that extreme reactions in low key situations like that girl in my English are what grated on my nerves.
Or when I overhear people in public (overheard it more at secondary school) saying they can't do X and they can't do Y because of their social anxiety, and it's really extreme on tumblr. I get mental health is different for everyone but like rule 1 of my social anxiety was never talk about social anxiety.

I shake and stutter etc when someone I don't know well talks to me (e.g. someone from uni) and I wouldn't exactly call that an extreme reaction, it's just who I am. Thinking for that girl to get a grip is so unfair because you don't know what's going through her head. Her shaking/stuttering could even be a reaction to her knowing she shakes and stutters, if you see what I mean
Basically just because it's a low key scenario in your head doesn't mean it is in hers :p

Empired
12-02-2016, 05:22 PM
I shake and stutter etc when someone I don't know well talks to me (e.g. someone from uni) and I wouldn't exactly call that an extreme reaction, it's just who I am. Thinking for that girl to get a grip is so unfair because you don't know what's going through her head. Her shaking/stuttering could even be a reaction to her knowing she shakes and stutters, if you see what I mean
I guess so, I already know I'm pretty biased against her as she's the same girl as this one http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=817852&highlight=

Matt
19-02-2016, 10:29 AM
I hate it, I get so worked up over it and hate the thought that people are judging me for how I look/sound/speak/present myself. In saying that, I do better in oral presentations than in essays.

Julielol
19-02-2016, 03:47 PM
I die inside ever since I was young

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!