PDA

View Full Version : Do you fit into gender stereotypes?

lawrawrrr
18-02-2016, 11:07 PM
This was touched on in a recent thread and I've been thinking about it a bit...

Do you feel like you fit in with the stereotypes of your gender? Whether it's what you think the stereotypes are or what society generally does

I found these online:

Women are supposed to have "clean jobs" such as secretaries, teachers, and librarians
Women are nurses, not doctors
Women are not as strong as men
Women are supposed to make less money than men
The best women are stay at home moms
Women don’t need to go to college
Women don’t play sports
Women are not politicians
Women are quieter than men and not meant to speak out
Women are supposed to be submissive and do as they are told
Women are supposed to cook and do housework
Women are responsible for raising children
Women do not have technical skills and are not good at "hands on" projects such as car repairs
Women are meant to be the damsel in distress; never the hero
Women are supposed to look pretty and be looked at
Women love to sing and dance
Women do not play video games
Women are flirts
Women are never in charge

All men enjoy working on cars
Men are not nurses, they are doctors
Men do "dirty jobs" such as construction and mechanics; they are not secretaries, teachers, or cosmetologists
Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children
Men play video games
Men play sports
Men enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, and hiking
Men are in charge; they are always at the top
As husbands, men tell their wives what to do
Men are lazy and/or messy
Men are good at math
It is always men who work in science, engineering, and other technical fields
Men do not cook, sew, or do crafts

So for me, the biggest thing is that I've neverly felt a motherly instinct in my life and don't really want children - and I'm really self sufficient (I have a toolkit and fix most of the things in my house despite living with all blokes for most of my uni/post-uni life) and I'm career-driven and love being in charge. I love learning and playing video games like men are "supposed to" but then I like typically female things like art and music more than maths and science which are more "male" subjects I guess.

Ok your go!!

Martin
18-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Men do "dirty jobs" such as construction and mechanics; they are not secretaries, teachers, or cosmetologists
Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children
Men play video games (Sometimes)
Men play sports
Men are good at math

I really don't apparently! :S

I want to be a teacher, I enjoy cooking and crafts, I'm not lazy or messy, I don't really enjoy outdoor activities and I do plenty of housework!

Then again, I don't really fit into a lot of the woman ones either, so I guess I am just my own person and don't really conform to the gender stereotypes that are expected of me.

-:Undertaker:-
18-02-2016, 11:29 PM
I am pretty manly, I think so (and hope) anyway. Depends who I am being compared to.

I find the list rather biased though, for example...

Most men may not do that but most will do outdoor work/the garden on their weekends off and drive their families to days out. Women less so.

dbgtz
18-02-2016, 11:53 PM
Not a huge fan of these lists, especially given two of the men stereotypes are somewhat incompatible with each other :P But based on this list, I will say probably only around 2, maybe 3 apply to me as of this moment.

scottish
19-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Men play video games
Men are good at math

I'd say above mostly fits to me. I don't work on cars but wouldn't mind doing it as a hobby if someone gave me a few hundred k.

Samantha
19-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Women are supposed to have "clean jobs" such as secretaries, teachers, and librarians - I work in retail, I would say it's a massively 'dirty' job but it's hands on with certain things we have to do. I for one never come home clean though as dust and that get everywhere with kneeling on the floor, cleaning etc.
Women are nurses, not doctors - my dentist is female and a doctor, I think men can be nurses, women can be doctors - the more wanting to be one the better, who cares what gender they are?
Women are not as strong as men - I'm definitely not as strong as a man, especially at work, I don't mind appearing weaker (as I know I am), but I don't like when people just automatically assume that you are without allowing you to try anything!
Women are supposed to make less money than men - I don't agree, it depends on where you work and what qualifications you possess, for example if you had a better qualification than a man then surely it will get to the point where the woman earns more. At the moment, where I work we get paid the same as men - the closest person I work with is a man and we're on the same wage, and I believe it's like that in every rank in the shop.
The best women are stay at home moms - I can't really comment on this one
Women don’t need to go to college - I've been to college and loved being able to learn and gain qualifications for 2 years extra. I'm assuming this might be American which would mean university and not college, but if a woman wants to go that far in their education then so be it.
Women don’t play sports - I love sports and I love watching them, I agree that women playing sports is definitely different to men playing them (I noticed this comparing the men and the women's football World Cup), and there are some sports that are stereotypically more women orientated, but I think that's fine.
Women are not politicians - I can't really comment on this, but the MP around where I live is Yvette Cooper and she somewhat proves women definitely can be politicians, whether they are frowned upon more is another question.
Women are quieter than men and not meant to speak out - I believe women speak out more than men, maybe it's temper or just because they may be generally louder. I'm going through stuff at the moment and my mum is definitely more outspoken then my dad, I will generally only speak out if something is wrong and I don't agree with it, so perhaps I generally am quieter.
Women are supposed to be submissive and do as they are told - unless it's from one of my bosses or my parents I don't like being told what to do, society today doesn't dictate that women should be bossed around and they will probably be seen as not having a 'backbone' if they subject themselves to it.
Women are supposed to cook and do housework - my dad does most of the cooking in the house, and does a fair amount of the housework also, but I think it depends what circumstances there are. My mum can't cook or do the housework due to her inability to move around a lot, but I've grown up with men cooking more than women, I'm not sure why though. I don't agree with this though, I believe it should be shared as fairly as possible, if a women is a stay at home mum then it might differ.
Women are responsible for raising children - it takes two people to make a baby, so two people should raise it.
Women do not have technical skills and are not good at "hands on" projects such as car repairs - I can't really comment on this as generally anything hands on has always been done by a male for me. Although, I think it's actually frowned upon, when I was in high school I wanted to take wood work, I preferred making things and being hands on, but only male students were allowed to (well I figured that since no female student did wood work).
Women are meant to be the damsel in distress; never the hero - if someone is in danger it doesn't matter who helps, someone fainted at work and only women helped out, including me (no males were around at the time and they probably would have done if they could), but overall it can be either.
Women are supposed to look pretty and be looked at - there's nothing wrong with a man caring about his looks and wanting himself to look pretty. I do not really fit into this category, I don't really care what I look like at all, it's only on occasion I will get dressed up so I'm near enough the opposite of this.
Women love to sing and dance - half and half, I like singing in the comfort of my own home. However, I have and always will hate dancing!
Women do not play video games - I love playing video games, pretty much the main thing I do!
Women are flirts - yeah I am a bit
Women are never in charge - where I work I only have a few male bosses and the majority are female. Women can do well in charge and can do as well as men. I prefer not being in charge as much, I'm fine being in charge virtually, but in real life I'm a lot more timid and shy :P.

Overall then I sort of fit into some stereotypes, but not really many at all.

buttons
19-02-2016, 12:24 AM
Women are supposed to have "clean jobs" such as secretaries, teachers, and librarians
Women are nurses, not doctors - these are kind me, feel like a secretary all the time at work! & my job is about being empathetic and caring.
Women are not as strong as men - physically, deffo. prob more emotionally stronger tho just coz of what iv been through etc
Women are supposed to make less money than men - this is poo. i loved the fact my manager was female n our assistant manager was make so he learned less than her
The best women are stay at home moms
Women don’t need to go to college
Women don’t play sports
Women are not politicians
Women are quieter than men and not meant to speak out
Women are supposed to be submissive and do as they are told
Women are supposed to cook and do housework - nope, whoever is home first from work does the cooking :P and since i work less, am ok with doing the housework but we still tend to do the gender specific stuff eg i do washing ironing etc he does the bins
Women are responsible for raising children - no, both are we aren't in the 1950's
Women do not have technical skills and are not good at "hands on" projects such as car repairs - yea i suck at this im better at writing n people stuff
Women are meant to be the damsel in distress; never the hero - nothin wrong with being in distress but omg id love to be a hero
Women are supposed to look pretty and be looked at - well ppl have treated me like that's my only purpose lol
Women love to sing and dance - I like to sing but never rly cared about dancing like all my friends wanna when drunk, only vodka makes me dance
Women do not play video games
Women are flirts - yea i and many other girls use our sexuality for advantage
Women are never in charge - see #4

i used to always wish i was more feminine ; wish id have a more feminine voice, figure, face etc but never could lol so would just pretend i was a tomboy cause being a girl didn't 'suit' me. only thing "feminine" about me is im sensitive, work in the care sector and am maternal. oh and my fave colour is pink although id pretend it was something else cause i didn't think it suited me. otherwise don't think i look/act stereotypically feminine :( i think being feminine looking (well yknow, pretty and fashionable etc) is pretty cool. like it'd be ultimate compliment to call me feminine.

FlyingJesus
19-02-2016, 12:44 AM
You'll struggle to find someone as burly and butch as me tbh

OldLoveSong
19-02-2016, 02:42 AM
Women are supposed to have "clean jobs" such as secretaries, teachers, and librarians- i see nothing wrong with this, its what i'd prefer.
Women are nurses, not doctors- ive seen alot of both plus alot of male nurses
Women are not as strong as men- it's our genetic makeup so this is basically a fact
Women are supposed to make less money than men- this doesnt apply to my country because we have equal wage
The best women are stay at home moms--very iffy, its fine to be a stay at home mom the same way its fine to decide to work, its up to you
Women don’t need to go to college- whoever said that statement is stupid
Women don’t play sports- i played sports growing up
Women are not politicians- i see more men in this field but it doesnt mean that there arent women politicians, its just what we see on tv or whatever
Women are quieter than men and not meant to speak out- depends on your personality, im quiet and dont really speak out but its diff for everyone
Women are supposed to be submissive and do as they are told-i follow my parents rules just as much as guys should
Women are supposed to cook and do housework- im lazy af and cant cook for crap
Women are responsible for raising children-takes both parents to raise a child but my mother id say raised me to be who i am today mostly
Women do not have technical skills and are not good at "hands on" projects such as car repairs-i dont know either but i know its more of a guys job
Women are meant to be the damsel in distress; never the hero-i like being rescused, i think its romantic
Women are supposed to look pretty and be looked at- ok who doesnt like attention tho??
Women love to sing and dance- i fail at both
Women do not play video games-i dont
Women are flirts- u got me ;)
Women are never in charge- i like to be in charge and i also like to be told what to do

e5
19-02-2016, 07:01 AM
Men play video games
Men play sports

Of course I am in charge ;)

Matt
19-02-2016, 08:11 AM
Stereotypes are shit, who needs them.

From that list I probably fit 1 or 2 if that.

Empired
19-02-2016, 12:01 PM
Well I don't fit /much/ into the women's stereotype but I fit with it more than the male one.

I thought this was gonna be a terrifying thread about like genderqueer people and stuff wow.

thms
19-02-2016, 05:38 PM
All men enjoy working on cars - no
Men do "dirty jobs" such as construction and mechanics; they are not secretaries, teachers, or cosmetologists - lol never will i ever
Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children - bye i will do house work, i hate mess and yes if i ever have kids i will be taking care of them too ;l
Men play video games - yes
Men play sports - lol bye! no
Men enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, and hiking - no way
Men are in charge; they are always at the top - haha
As husbands, men tell their wives what to do - lmfao
Men are lazy and/or messy - i am lazy but not messy
Men are good at math - lool no
It is always men who work in science, engineering, and other technical fields - nope
Men do not cook, sew, or do crafts - i can cook and i can sew badly??? crafts idk what are 'crafts'

i basically relate to one of these??? maybe the two but idc about living up to the stereotype of what it takes to be a man

ihatehash
19-02-2016, 09:54 PM
All men enjoy working on cars - Cars are not my thing
Men are not nurses, they are doctors - I work in a hospital but in Management
Men do "dirty jobs" such as construction and mechanics; they are not secretaries, teachers, or cosmetologists - I work in an office
Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children - I don't believe this to be me but i don't have kids yet
Men play video games
Men play sports
Men are in charge; they are always at the top - I am someone who likes to have a handle on things, not a control freak just like to manage.
As husbands, men tell their wives what to do - I can be bossy but I expect the same back
Men are good at math

So the stereotypes probably do somewhat reflect me but I am not your typical burly man but I do have interests that are considered manly

Bionic...
20-02-2016, 12:30 AM
All men enjoy working on cars - nope
Men are not nurses, they are doctors - wrong
Men do "dirty jobs" such as construction and mechanics; they are not secretaries, teachers, or cosmetologists - wrong
Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children - wrong
Men play video games - applies to me i guess
Men play sports - not unless you count fishing as a sport?
Men enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, and hiking - yep
Men are in charge; they are always at the top - wrong
As husbands, men tell their wives what to do - wrong
Men are lazy and/or messy - wrong
Men are good at math - wrong
It is always men who work in science, engineering, and other technical fields - wrong
Men do not cook, sew, or do crafts - wrong

Well i can proudly say that i don't fit the male gender ahaha, but saying that i don't really do many things to qualify me as being "boyish" if you get me . I spend time reading books and playing pc games and going out but i don't play football etc.

Zak
20-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Men play video games
Men play sports
Men are good at math

For me. Women also play video games & sports though?

I hate working on/or anything to do with cars :P As long as mine gets me from A to B.

Jurv
20-02-2016, 11:11 AM
I probably identify with the female stereotype more than the male

Drew
20-02-2016, 12:17 PM
The only ones I fit into are:

Women are quieter than men and not meant to speak out - I relate to being quiet because I don't talk much, but I do speak out when the situation calls for it. I actually think most women talk too much though lol
Women are supposed to cook and do housework - I cook because I want to, not because I'm supposed to.
Women do not play video games - I don't really play video games much, but know many girls who enjoy it.
Women are flirts - I flirt, but don't think it has anything to do with your gender.

I actually relate to more of the men ones:

Men do not do housework and they are not responsible for taking care of children - can't really see myself having children in the future
Men play sports - I used to play basketball for my school and enjoy other sports like badminton, cycling and swimming.
Men enjoy outdoor activities such as camping, fishing, and hiking - Yup
Men are in charge; they are always at the top - I've been in charge of lots of things (with both men and women under me)
As husbands, men tell their wives what to do - I've been in relationships where this happens both ways
Men are lazy and/or messy - Women can be lazy and messy too???
Men are good at math - I'm good at math and no it's not because I'm Asian
It is always men who work in science, engineering, and other technical fields - I've studied science subjects my whole life and am a proud software engineer

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!