PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft will allow Xbox gamers to play against PS4 and PC players

xxMATTGxx
16-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Microsoft is announcing a big new feature for Xbox owners today: cross-network play. It's something the software giant has hinted at for years, and now it seems the reality of PS4, Xbox One, and PC players playing the same game together might finally happen. Developers building games for Xbox One and Windows 10 will be able to support the feature, but it will require Sony and others to "participate" in order for games to be played across Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Rocket League will be one of the first titles to support the new cross-network play, and Microsoft notes there is an "open invitation for other networks to participate as well," strongly hinting that Sony or other console manufacturers could enable gamers to play their friends regardless of what device they're using.

Full Article at: http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/14/11222370/microsoft-xbox-cross-network-play-pc-ps4-gaming

What are peoples thoughts on this? :D

Chris
16-03-2016, 09:21 AM
It's a good move in an exciting direction! It would definitely boost player numbers in games that have died off a bit.

There has already been some sort of response from Sony too:

"PlayStation has been supporting cross-platform play between PC on several software titles starting with Final Fantasy 11 on PS2 and PC back in 2002,” reads the statement from the corporation.

“We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-responds-to-microsofts-invite-to-connect-xbox/1100-6435688/

j0rd
16-03-2016, 09:25 AM
Interesting!!

Just need cross-platform party chat now, although I can't see that happening for a while

neonebis
16-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Absolutely I think this is a great step forward.... if it works!!

Matchmaking on the SAME console can be frustrating at times to say the least, so providing they action this in a way that it's pretty hassle free, I'd be open to it. It then opens the doors of, can you Friend Request and Message etc? Definitely blurs the lines a bit!!

FlyingJesus
16-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Clever move, it's something a lot of people have been clamouring for and now they've made it so that all the blame for it not happening can go with Sony :P they don't have to have any real intention of making it happen, although it would undoubtedly be a nice feature

Lucy
16-03-2016, 12:59 PM
I think this could potentially be an interesting step forward. Though I am uncertain as to what level it would be "deployed". I cannot see MS and Sony allowing everything to be open in this manner, but I have been surprised by these two companies of late.

dbgtz
17-03-2016, 04:37 PM
I honestly don't see this happening for the vast majority of games. As much as MS and Sony may be willing to discuss the prospect, it doesn't mean there's any kind of deal on the table.

IzzyUhh
20-03-2016, 11:55 AM
Finally cos I talk so much crap on rocket league I have more people to do it to

A
20-03-2016, 12:13 PM
I think it's a good move, will be interesting and will stop long waits for partys because there's always bound to be someone online! I actually like this idea, wooo!

GoldenMerc
20-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Rocket league may be popular again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grayham
17-04-2016, 08:40 AM
This needs to happen saves the debate about omg your sad you got X box, or your sad PS4 is better! bringing everyone together uniting in gaming awesome!!

scottish
17-04-2016, 09:48 AM
This needs to happen saves the debate about omg your sad you got X box, or your sad PS4 is better! bringing everyone together uniting in gaming awesome!!

You're

Ot has there been any updates

Flooom
18-04-2016, 02:49 PM
I don't want PC gamers to play with Console gamers. All the annoying kids are on console because mummy wont buy them a good computer. Lets keep it that way.

thms
20-04-2016, 06:30 PM
this would b pretty cool!!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!