PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself smart?

Plebings
20-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Like, when I was young/in school I felt smart, got good grades and felt I'd be really well off in the future. Maybe I've just lost ambition or am just surrounded by people who seem to know what they're doing.

Also right now I'm just stuck doing the same things day in, day out, so I feel my brain slowly turning to mush.

Compared to people your age, what percentage of people do you think you're smarter/dumber than?

Also do you have lofty ambitions, and do you think you'll reach them?

-:Undertaker:-
20-04-2016, 09:51 PM
no i do not

David
20-04-2016, 09:51 PM
smarter than the average bear, motherfucker

dbgtz
20-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Well, according to some tests I did for a job application the other week, I did better than 80%/80%/75% of people so I guess I'm not as stupid as I think I am, but I still feel don't feel overly smart. I do stupid things too often and make awful decisions that I wish people would tell me what I'm doing is stupid. Or maybe they did and I just ignored it.

Short answer: no, I don't consider myself smrt, I mean smart.

Cerys
20-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Street smart or academically smart?

In primary school I thought I was a genius ngl x I was always the top of everything, then when i moved to high school personal issues came up and I guess I kind of lost ambition and confidence and let myself go down hill and started doubting myself in everything thinking I wasnt smart enough

But now i guess i'm kind of in the middle. I completely bailed out on A Levels cos i thought i couldnt do it so now im stuck with doing a degree that only has one outcome with the wonderfully amazing open uni ha ha ha x

David
20-04-2016, 09:56 PM
Short answer: no, I don't consider myself smrt, I mean smart.

i understood that reference

scottish
20-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Yes I would.

buttons
20-04-2016, 10:08 PM
it depends - how do you define smartness? to a mathematician i would seem a complete dumbass because i can't do the most basic maths. so when im struggling with maths, that's when i feel like im really stupid. but then im good at other things so? there's different things you can be smart at and no one is smart at everything! boring answer but it's true X i think some people are smarter than we give credit for and vice versa, people we think are geniuses are bound to be stupid at something.

FlyingJesus
20-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Clever yeah just got no drive to put it to use most of the time

Gina
20-04-2016, 10:23 PM
no quite dumb lol as am sure majority of forum already know :P

Joe
20-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Right now, among my peers I believe I'm quite smart in a worldly sense, but amongst my course mates I don't feel smart at all.

Absently
20-04-2016, 10:45 PM
this came up quite a lot at uni. we talked about things like having a high IQ etc but that doesn't account for everything. nobody is 'smart' in everything and it really goes into what you consider smart yourself. from my perspective of my friends a lot of them are academically smart but have very little common sense - which is also something to be smart in. i'm not smart in many academic things, but i would consider myself smart with common sense and creativity. also, definitely depends in my interests, if i like something i can be 'smart' in it.

Elegance
20-04-2016, 10:48 PM
i used to think i was smart, i was always in the top sets for everything (minus pe but that doesn't count) and i always had outstanding achievement certificates sent to my parents telling them about my good grades and whatnot but i stopped thinking that (and evidently lost a lot of confience too) when my mum and i went on a shopping trip to liverpool and whilst walking back to the coach stop i saw this on the side of a building and took a picture because it provoked a lot of thought.

http://i.imgur.com/9CElJr2.jpg

and after thinking about it a lot i'm not really smart other than having common sense, being a fast learner and having a decent memory.

Matt
21-04-2016, 03:56 AM
I don't consider myself smart at all. I pass at Uni and generally don't fail but there's so many other smart people and I'm not at their level.

Kesuki
27-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Don't think that's the right question if you're going to sort of measure and compare... every human being is smart. I'm more interested in how your brain is "wired", if you're curious, looking to learn and figure out. And after you think you've figured it out, ask your self "Is there more to this?". That sort of attitude. It's easy for us to label someone smart if they can spew out a lot of facts... but all that tells is that the person has spent more time learning, something we all, given interest, can do. But of course there's differences in peoples abilities to process information (which I'm miserable at), pattern recognition etc.

Empired
27-04-2016, 08:32 PM
I've almost always had good grades in school and things but it annoys me when people think that makes them clever. For me, it just means I'm good at exams and happen to be good at memorising stuff, but that doesn't make me clever. Idk it's almost kind of bad because it means I'm just good at memorising stuff that's put to me without questioning it and then I can spit it back out in exam conditions.

I do think about things a lot though, but I'm not always good at communicating my thoughts and I probably overthink a lot.

Oh I don't even know but I do find myself feeling very stupid a lot of the time.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!