PDA

View Full Version : Do your parents have degrees?

Brad
09-06-2016, 02:11 AM
I know my parents do not have degrees. My father has his highschool and my mom I think has her highschool as well.
What's crazy is that they have really good jobs that if people now a days tried to get they would need diplomas/degrees. My dad is a class A mechanic, which needs like 4 year degree or an apprenticeship to earn it yet my dad learned it by himself got certified through that.
My mother has an administration job which again, would require some college/uni degree/diploma...
Do your parent have jobs that require degrees/diplomas and do your parents or do your parents know if your parents hold the requirements?

Just something I was thinking about seeing all those posts on Facebook.

_HeyyItsHannah_
09-06-2016, 02:19 AM
Nah my parents never had degrees. My father worked in a steel mill but surprisingly got 100k a year. My mom dropped out of college because she wasn't prepared enough mentally and was too homesick. She also blamed it on her bad knees but idk. (She had 3 knee surgeries before she was 18). She was an insurance agent.

They both had high school diplomas though

Surprisingly though, I want to go onto college and go through med school, so I plan on going into college/uni!

Nick
09-06-2016, 07:08 AM
yes my dad has some engineering degree

Empired
09-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Yes my dad has something to do with Engineering from Trinity Hall Cambridge (not the same as Trinity College, so fun fact: Trinity Hall is always a pointless answer on Pointless hooray) and we sometimes drive past it in town and mum's always like YOUR DAD WENT THERE every time :/

And my mum went to hmmm I want to say Leeds but definitely to do English.

buttons
09-06-2016, 08:44 AM
nope my mum and dad both met at a chicken factory! then my dad started to work offshore as a steward and got trained there to do other stuff (idk specifically what he does now lol). same with mum, she started to work in care homes for people with learning disabilities and started to get trained up as a nurse.

Matt
09-06-2016, 08:44 AM
my dad has a masters and my mum dropped out of school in like year 10. Both always had work though!

dbgtz
09-06-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't believe my mum does but my dad has a degree in business I believe.

-:Undertaker:-
09-06-2016, 10:38 AM
no they do not

welshcake
09-06-2016, 10:44 AM
Only two people have degrees in my family and that's me with my almost masters degree and my auntie
my cousin is about to get a degree from oxford too :///
but ya my parents don't have degrees and my mother has one hell of a rewarding job

Cerys
09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Yeah my mum has a degree from Leeds and my dad has bobba all

Ekelektra
09-06-2016, 11:49 AM
Yes my dad has a Bachelor of Commerce and my started a teaching degree but quit halfway through. Every job my mum has had she hasn't needed a degree and my dad I wouldn't say he has to have his degree for his job but I guess it has helped him.

RuthOnToast
09-06-2016, 04:23 PM
My mum has a degree in social science from Sheffield hallam and my dad had a degree with something to do with maths and computers from the same uni and neither of them work (well my dad had a job many many years ago but got made redundant)

Futz
09-06-2016, 04:31 PM
my dad did an apprenticeship at like a steel factory and then moved into engineering
my mom did sort of odd work til she was like 30 and then wanted to become a teacher so went to uni part time til she was qualified, which is pretty impressive with a job at the time and 2 kids!

now they're both extremely good at what they do and they somewhat like it
love you momma
good job papi

Samantha
09-06-2016, 04:37 PM
None of my family have degrees, my sister has just finished her 2nd year of university and she will probably be the first with one! My parents never went to university, my mum finished school at 15 (she was held back a year due to her birthday being 2nd September), I think my dad was a dad by 18, and they met working together at Haribo!

The Don
09-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Nope, nobody in my family (that i'm aware of) has one

scottish
09-06-2016, 05:19 PM
no they don't

Mikey
09-06-2016, 05:32 PM
Yes my Mum has a degree in nursing, she left school with basic qualifications and when I was younger decided to get her degree to further herself in her field. At the time she had a house to run and with two children and was also working, I look up to her. I think that is what motivated both myself and my brother to get ours. Been at their graduation ceremonies, time for my own at the end of the month. :)

Chris
09-06-2016, 06:44 PM
Nope, neither of mine do.

j0rd
09-06-2016, 08:30 PM
neither of mine does and both have had good jobs

mother has managed transport services for years, now runs bars/clubs
father has been a senior electrical engineer for like forever

thms
09-06-2016, 10:59 PM
nope

Lucy
10-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Nope, my grandfather does but neither of my parents do.

Sho
13-06-2016, 09:56 AM
i read the title as dungarees at first and thought that was a bit random lmao

but no they don't have a degree

LUCPIX
13-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Daddy has a Pharmacy (?) degree
Mom, highschool and, hopefully in the future, Nutrition or Gastronomy

Zak
29-06-2016, 09:49 AM
No neither of my parents do.

j0rd
29-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Nah neither of them do
Actually the first of the siblings to gain a degree too

Shar
30-06-2016, 04:53 PM
No they don't

-:Undertaker:-
01-07-2016, 10:16 PM
no they do not

Gina
05-07-2016, 10:15 PM
nope neither !!!
literally no one in my family rip

Meanies
05-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Neither of my parents have degrees and I think they both left school at GCSE level. I don't think my mum even finished her GCSEs because she was pregnant with my brother but I know she did night school things for a while not sure what that was to gain though. Most of the time she was a stay at home mum doing odd crafty bits for a company, then went and worked in the Post Office. She was a manager at Travis Perkins until about a week ago where she has moved into a new role managing million pound contracts with companies :O My dad is and always has been a farmer.

afaik the only people in my family with any kind of 'higher' qualification would be my grandparents who were both teachers and one of them a headteacher who opened a school from scratch :O Don't think you really need qualifications to get anywhere in life tbh, unless you want a specific job role in a certain sector. Both of my uncles and my brother are managers in their places all with basic qualifications

Martin
23-07-2016, 05:17 PM
Neither of my parents have degrees. In fact I think if I get mine I will be the first person in the family to do so :D

x-s-x
08-10-2016, 09:22 PM
My mum is assistant manager in a card shop & my dad is a taxi driver.
My stepmum is a midwife & my mums partner does marketing, web design, computer programming ect

Empired
08-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Yes my dad has something to do with Engineering from Trinity Hall Cambridge (not the same as Trinity College, so fun fact: Trinity Hall is always a pointless answer on Pointless hooray) and we sometimes drive past it in town and mum's always like YOUR DAD WENT THERE every time :/

And my mum went to hmmm I want to say Leeds but definitely to do English.
It was sheffield not leeds every1 x

Expling
09-10-2016, 11:44 AM
my mum has a degree!! but she never done it when she was younger, she did it while she was working if that makes sense?? she had to do it to be a registered care home manager

i'm not particularly sure what the degree is in exactly but yeah
my dad doesn't have one cos he was always a practical learner so he's currently working for the local council housing dept!!

thatc00lgirl
09-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Both parents have degree, if i am not wrong, my dad has one in civil engineering and my mum's in accounting. Before my mum
was a housewife, she was a property agent and my dad does architecture & design for the public and for factories facilities.

despect
23-02-2017, 01:09 AM
They dont, no. Both got good jobs though. More my mum than my dad though.

Metric1
23-02-2017, 11:27 PM
My dad is a dentist, my mom is actually a nurse but she went back and got her masters in marketing.

Conor
24-02-2017, 01:40 AM
My parents don't have degrees but I try to keep my flat above like 0 degrees if that counts?

hungryfront
26-02-2017, 05:40 PM
My dad's got a degree in business studies and mum has one of those teaching qualifications.
Side note: my dad never studied ICT but became a GCSE ICT teacher.

nat965
01-03-2017, 07:09 AM
My dad's got a trade certificate in carpentry, dropped out of school in grade 10 to do it, and my mum doesn't have any formal recognised degrees.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!