PDA

View Full Version : Musterbation

Stephen
09-07-2016, 09:44 PM
“Musterbation” is a term coined by famed psychologist Albert Ellis to describe the phenomenon whereby people live by a set of absolute and unrealistic demands that they place on themselves, others and the world. For most of us, these rules come out in a series of should statements that we repeat to ourselves over and over again. These “should” and “shouldn’t” statements leave us feeling bad about ourselves because they set up standards that we cannot realistically meet. They also leave us feeling frustrated and hurt by others when they inevitably fail to fulfill our expectations.

"There are three musts that hold us back: I must do well. You must treat me well. And the world must be easy.”

Thoughts? :)

Martin
23-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Sounds legit to me and something I can relate to quite often! Weird choice of word for it though, he was obviously multitasking at the time..

Stephen
24-07-2016, 08:38 PM
yay someone replied. I guess everyone thought I was using the word to sound rude but I only found out from a website I visited and definitely related with it

following REBT (form of cbt) you can use an excercise called the abc excercise to turn your irrational thoughts into more rational ones

Activating Event
irrational Belief
Consequences of those beliefs

A. say you got 80% chance to win something but don't win it
B. you feel like it was only 80% fucking percent so luck SHOULD have been on your side you SHOULD have won it
C. You get angry you didn't win and are filled with FULL ON FUCK YOU FEELINGS cos the prize was pretty good

then you go into D and E where you dispute your irrational belief and finally turn it into a rational one

I tried it once and it worked for me. It's best used by writing it all down and stuff. Most of the time you'll still be pissed off but you won't be overly pissed off to the point of no return plus practice makes perfect obvz

anyway thank you again bolt660, if people replied to threads then there wouldn't be any need for stupid threads being made or THREADS FOR REP competitions

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!