PDA

View Full Version : What's the most computer illiterate thing you've seen?

scottish
23-07-2016, 08:12 PM
I'm sure everyone's seen someone interacting with a computer and you've just severely judged them for some stupid shit.

Maybe more so for us that work in IT, but even those who don't I'm sure you've seen older people do something silly.

Chris
23-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Not sure really. Umm my dad can't grasp the difference between a browser and a search engine but other than that he's pretty good.

Meanies
24-07-2016, 12:27 AM
The first thing that comes to my mind was my boss last week. All of our card machines went down (because I knocked a plug out but didn't tell no one and pretended I knew nothing) but he sent an email to the people who deal with our tills and stuff. An hour or so later they came back into action and he tried to send them another email saying it was ok and all fine, but he had gone into the sent box and replied to the email he originally sent them, but it just came back into our inbox and he just couldn't grasp what he had done wrong even though i'd told him exactly what he did wrong

FlyingJesus
24-07-2016, 12:30 AM
Plebings;

xxMATTGxx
24-07-2016, 08:43 AM
People who don't understand you need a working internet connection for your emails to work.

Lucy
24-07-2016, 11:24 AM
People who don't understand that Google is a search engine and not just a browser.

Futz
24-07-2016, 03:51 PM
one of my favourite memories is when my nan and grandad first got a computer, many years ago. They set it all up and he kept trying to search fish on the browser but nothing was coming up, we asked if they had internet and he didnt know what it was

MISS U GPA

lawrawrrr
24-07-2016, 05:35 PM
The thing that annoys me the most is when people just call things the wrong thing, like "my email isnt working", no your INTERNET isn't working, or "the website's gone down" no you're connecting to the wrong site??

the worst computer illiterate thing is definitely the difference between search engines and browsers though. Google Chrome "doesn't work" on my Grandma's computer apparently because she's got to use the "Internet Explorer" with her wifi plan apparently...

peteyt
26-07-2016, 07:14 PM
I remember trying to tell my grandad multiple times that catch up on set top boxes wouldn't work without an internet connection. And someone else I knew thought that if you started a download on your computer, you could continue downloading it on the computer even when the computer was turned off.

A lot of people think a browser is actually the internet, that mac's can't get viruses and that an antivirus will protect you from everything no matter what.

Also a small pet hate of mine is website hosting companies that advertise packages with unlimited disk space. It's more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. They can keep adding space, but there will always be a limit.

RyRy
27-07-2016, 10:28 PM
Somebody getting frustrated that their computer wasn't working and that they had a black screen, so I told them to switch it on as they said it had an orange light on it.

They were switching off and on their monitor (lol) , it didn't occur to them the "big box next to the computer" was the computer... This was over the phone, so once I hung up I pretty much pissed myself.

scottish
27-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Somebody getting frustrated that their computer wasn't working, so I told them to switch it on.

They were switching on their monitor, it didn't occur to them the "big box next to the computer" was the computer... This was over the phone, so once I hung up I pretty much pissed myself.

That's exactly one of the top ones in my mind when I posted this thread.

Asked them to restart and they turned their monitor off and on again.. like no that's not how computers work.

RyRy
27-07-2016, 10:33 PM
That's exactly one of the top ones in my mind when I posted this thread.

Asked them to restart and they turned their monitor off and on again.. like no that's not how computers work.
Another good one is when Internet goes down, and when it comes back up you get a flood of emails like "Internet not working can you get it back up? Thanks"

That one always tickles me.

scottish
27-07-2016, 10:35 PM
Another good one is when Internet goes down, and when it comes back up you get a flood of emails like "Internet not working can you get it back up? Thanks"

That one always tickles me.

Oh, typically we notice the internet going down and tell them rather than the other way around so don't get that much.

RyRy
27-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Oh, typically we notice the internet going down and tell them rather than the other way around so don't get that much.
It's normally the lower staff who do it, the technical people know about it cuz we told them :) proactive!!!

Alkaz
27-07-2016, 10:45 PM
What is a browser?

Empired
30-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Mum was complaining that someone "kept putting pictures" on her computer for her and I thought that didn't sound too good so I had a look and she'd obviously been opening Paint by accident lots of times since she got this computer, panicked cos she didn't mean to open it, saves it despite it being empty because she always saves it, and then finally saw one day that she'd got like 150 "pictures" on her computer that she didn't realise were down to her...

And even after I explained what happened she refused to admit it was her. Even now she insists to everyone that she was once hacked and they put a load of pictures on her computer ::://////

Drives me mad.

Earthquake
01-10-2016, 08:19 PM
the worst and annoying thing I hate about computer illiterate people is the constant worry for viruses if your downloading on their computer when they don't even know what a virus is.

scottish
01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
doing something that modifies the structure of a database/table without doing a backup beforehand

-:Undertaker:-
03-10-2016, 01:35 AM
teacher barely got onto youtube

xxMATTGxx
03-10-2016, 08:52 AM
I was helping someone out remotely and they were either on Windows XP or Vista and the entire taskbar at the bottom was a search bar. There was a very small selection where you had the programs that were open at the time. He had to press the arrow thing to see what else was open at the time.

I left it as it is as its not my place to say but my god... that was hard work. Like it makes no sense to me to have it like that.

thatc00lgirl
03-10-2016, 06:43 PM
What is a browser?

My mum once asked me what was Opera doing on her desktop.
I am not sure whether she was drunk or not, but she said that Opera should be hosting a show, not being lazy at the bottom of
her screen. It was lucky though, that was the only time she asked me such a question.

The first and the last :D

buttons
03-10-2016, 06:46 PM
the other night my mum thinking i could just magically call her on skype n me being like "ye but what ur username?" n shes like "can u not see me" NO I DON'T HAVE YOUR USERNAME

thatc00lgirl
03-10-2016, 07:01 PM
the other night my mum thinking i could just magically call her on skype n me being like "ye but what ur username?" n shes like "can u not see me" NO I DON'T HAVE YOUR USERNAME

HAHAH the last time my mum skyped me, she kept looking at the wrong hole. She thought the camera was somewhere else so
she was completely out of frame and was looking at the tv which was behind her laptop.

SeptemberNum
12-10-2016, 12:14 PM
It was funny seeing my mom use the mouse. She thought that you have to move the mouse as far/long as the cursor should move. She still can't get the hang of it until now. lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!