PDA

View Full Version : dog

Catchy
18-10-2016, 09:35 PM
any help would be appreciated

so i really want a dog, i've never had a dog but understand how much work they are. im debating whether it would be fair for me to have one as me and my partner both work but surely lots of people with dogs both work and manage to make it work?

so my shifts vary from and i can be doing a mixture of nights and days, my partner works mainly evenings and is out from about 3pm until 2amish.

but am thinking if im on a day then im out from 730am till 8pm and he is in the house until about 2pm or 3pm. i'd walk the dog before work and he could give it a little walk before he lieaves for work, would it be ok to leave the dog from 2pm till about 8pm?

the other scenario would be if i was on nights but then i'd be in during the day time and be able to walk it etc and it would be alone from about 6pm until about 2am?

can someone tell me if i could realistically make this work and if they have dogs what do they do when they're at work?

-:Undertaker:-
18-10-2016, 09:40 PM
best getting a pet you can put in a cage. that way when you're bored of it it won't get on your nerves

plus dogs stink, make owners houses stink, poo everywhere, have to walk them in freezin weather and if its noisy you'll have all trouble with social welfare if the dog won't shut up with neighbours. we've had to report next door cos the damn thing won't stop howling when they're out

Stephen
18-10-2016, 10:13 PM
don't get a dog if it's gonna be left on it's own all the time

Alkaz
18-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Regardless of everything Dan said, they aren't that bad. But you should also listen to Stephen, they are for life remember. If you or someone else can't be there so they aren't left for a large proportion of the day on their own then you shouldn't really get one, it's so unfair on the dog.

Cerys
18-10-2016, 11:24 PM
we were fine with paddy, we had him since he was practically newly born and he was always left alone for around 4-5 hours while my mum and dad were both at work. we also left him occasionally overnight on his own (with food ofcourse) and he was perfectly fine.

i'd say go for it but if youre going to be super busy with work then perhaps dont get a puppy, get an older rescue dog who has already been trained as with your work i doubt youd have time to train a lil puppy no matter how cute he is !

Stephen
18-10-2016, 11:36 PM
we were fine with paddy, we had him since he was practically newly born and he was always left alone for around 4-5 hours while my mum and dad were both at work. we also left him occasionally overnight on his own (with food ofcourse) and he was perfectly fine.

i'd say go for it but if youre going to be super busy with work then perhaps dont get a puppy, get an older rescue dog who has already been trained as with your work i doubt youd have time to train a lil puppy no matter how cute he is !

wow id never leave my dog alone overnight
did he actually tell you that he was fine with it?

and wtf get a rescue dog if you're super busy??!?! I feel sorry for any pets you've had

Cerys
18-10-2016, 11:48 PM
wow id never leave my dog alone overnight
did he actually tell you that he was fine with it?

and wtf get a rescue dog if you're super busy??!?! I feel sorry for any pets you've had

Yeah why wouldn't you leave a dog overnight? He'd be alone regardless of if you were home or not cos you're asleep!
Paddy had a wonderful life so don't insult me x

FlyingJesus
18-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Probably easier to just get one on Habbo tbh plus they're a lot cheaper and don't mind so much if you forget they exist for a few weeks

But yeah realistically I'd wait until you're at least a bit more settled, I can't remember what your work situation is atm (soz lit spoke about it like last week oops) but if it's not a fixed schedule that'll make things very tricky

Catchy
19-10-2016, 12:05 AM
ok i think were gonna get a cat now

FlyingJesus
19-10-2016, 12:16 AM
Cats are better anyway

Catchy
19-10-2016, 12:17 AM
Cats are better anyway

a bengal one, we havent discussed it together yet but dont care were getting 1

FlyingJesus
19-10-2016, 12:38 AM
omf responded to your vm before seeing this no get a normal cat you nonce a bengal will just tear all your shit to pieces if you're not home a lot

Catchy
19-10-2016, 12:39 AM
omf responded to your vm before seeing this no get a normal cat you nonce a bengal will just tear all your shit to pieces if you're not home a lot

but am allergic tom so it needs to be a bengal as they don't shed fur much, i have heard they're naughty but am sure it'll be fine if i give it a scratchy thing

Stephen
19-10-2016, 02:08 AM
Yeah why wouldn't you leave a dog overnight? He'd be alone regardless of if you were home or not cos you're asleep!
Paddy had a wonderful life so don't insult me x

that didn't make any sense and im not insulting you
i just dont understand why you said get an old rescue dog if you're "super busy"
if you're too busy then you shouldn't get a dog, you don't just buy an older dog as if they come trained straight out the box :hand:

Empired
19-10-2016, 06:11 AM
Honestly dogs are the most rewarding pets you can possibly have if you get it right and they can turn your life around.

But saying that you should never leave your dog alone for more than 6 hours (and even that's a push) and while it's quite new you really shouldn't be leaving it for more than a couple of hours at a time and then building that time up.

If you're still considering a dog I'd recommend a rescue one rather than a puppy as puppies can't be left at all really and it means you can skip out on a lot of training and the "teenage" phase.

If you're still going for a cat now nevermind but if you're considering a rescue dog like I said above I can give you some tips on what to look out for when choosing! Xx

xxMATTGxx
19-10-2016, 07:22 AM
Only get a dog if you know you can spend time with it and take it out for walks and so on. If not, it's not fair on the dog to be honest. It's why we have never had dogs due to that fact so we have cats instead.

I wouldn't listen to Dan for pet advice, last time he posted about his pet he was killing off his hamster with some home made operation crap.

Catchy
19-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Turns out we wont be getting either a dog or a cat :(

whoeful
20-10-2016, 01:28 AM
i hope u can get a dog in the future when you are settled they are truly the most amazing animals ever i love mine :( i spend most my time with bonnie :( https://twitter.com/tigersjor/status/788534848063410176 she is an angel :)x

FlyingJesus
20-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Prob for the best Jacob, just get a tamagotchi x

Catchy
20-10-2016, 07:10 PM
Prob for the best Jacob, just get a tamagotchi x

i'll get a hachable xx have you seen them? they're the new furbys

FlyingJesus
20-10-2016, 09:22 PM
There are newly updated Furbies with PLASTIC EARS what is the point I thought they were meant to be huggable and they like bluetooth to your computer and force you to watch cat videos or something

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!