PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key announces resignation

-:Undertaker:-
05-12-2016, 12:34 AM
More drama tonight following the Italian referendum and Italian PMs resignation and for 2016.

New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key has announced that he will resign as prime minister of New Zealand, after eight years in the job. Mr Key called it "the hardest decision I've ever made," adding "I don't know what I'll do next."

Bill English is expected to take over until the National Party holds a caucus to choose a new PM.

Mr Key is stepping down at the request of his wife Bronagh, the New Zealand Herald reports.

He won a third term for the National Party at elections of September 2014.

A shock this one.

He was alright. Restored Knighthoods and Damehoods to New Zealand, is a monarchist and has helped us out with Brexit by sending over negotiators. The only downer on his premiership was his (failed) attempt to change the kiwi Flag.

Thoughts?

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1457382459/458/14123458.jpg
The flag of New Zealand (left) and the proposed new flag (right) which was voted down in a referendum

ihatehash
06-12-2016, 10:46 AM
I voted Key so I am of course a supporter of his. He was a very good leader and I am worried that it will be some time until the National party finds another leader of similar caliber. Three possible replacements have put their hands up: Bill English, Jonathan Coleman and Judith Collins each with their share of flaws.
Bill English is by far the most qualified however was previously leader of the National Party in 2002 when he lost the election by a huge margin to Helen Clark. I think he would struggle again in next years election if he was leader.
Jonathan Coleman has been Health Minister for sometime and I personally feel he is not a good health minister. DHB's have very much struggled over the last 10 years for various reasons but management has also been very average. This is coming from someone who worked for a DHB for sometime. He is also extremely conservative and voted against marriage reform in 2013 and has come out very much against most liberal views. I think he would by far be the worst possible candidate and I would not vote National next year if he were elected.
Judith Collins is my personal favourite of the those who are currently running however she has had a very controversial history in politics as she is quite passionate which has landed her in trouble. She has only recently returned to the cabinet after being on the back benches for sometime.

There are still murmurings that a few more candidates may run (Paula Bennett, Amy Adams, etc) but I think it is important to elect someone who will keep the party united so that going into next years election National maintain a strong foundation.

Regarding the flag change I'm still very much bitter of that one. I was very much pro change and was upset by the fact that a lot of people used this as a vote against Key rather than something important for a lot of New Zealanders. I was at the Portobello markets in London on sunday and there were flags of every country except instead of the NZ flag there was the silver fern. This was not a surprise it's just infuriating we could have corrected it this year but people are so reluctant to change in this country.

Also just to correct something in the original post. Bronagh did not request him to stand down, it was his decision and it probably is time. In saying that she is probably happy to have her husband back around home.

-:Undertaker:-
12-12-2016, 12:12 PM
ihatehash;

Not sure what there is to 'correct' when the flag has been New Zealand's for virtually all of its history.

Anyway some news...

http://www.ezimba.com/work/161213C/ezimba14631671100500.png

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!